Jack Reinheimer- interesting target (claimed)

Diehard_O's_Fan

Reinheimer, 26, was a fifth-round pick of the Mariners in 2013 out of East Carolina University who appeared in 21 games with the Mets last summer and went 5-for-30 with five walks and nine strikeouts. He was 0-for-5 with three strikeouts in two games with the Diamondbacks in 2017.

Flaherty 2.0.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good call by the OP. Interesting to read comments about the player before we’ve acquired him. That’s a unique perspective. 

Elias is in full swing now. It obviously took him a few months but now he seems to at leased be comfortable with the 40 man roster. It might not sound like a lot, but having AL priority in waiver claims over an entire offseason is pretty valuable. 

Infield depth seems to be a concern. This guy, Alberto, the two rule 5 guys, and don’t forget about the third basemen from the Braves(Ruiz). 

I find it surprising we haven’t claimed an OF. We’re a little thin there. Also, Hart and Wright must be staying around to get a look in ST. How many lefties are we planning on going with in the pen?  Right now I’d say Hart is behind Bleier, Scott, and Fry for Bullpen LHP roles. Plus we’re pretty thin at C. Ideally we’d have claimed an OF and C with options, and DFAd Wright and Hart. Guess we’re filling those openings with vets on milb deals. 

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I find it surprising we haven’t claimed an OF. We’re a little thin there. 

There’s not a position on the roster that isn’t thin. That said, between Mullins, Mancini, Trumbo, Rickard, and Stewart, the outfield is one of the least thin positions we have.

1 hour ago, Enjoy Terror said:

There’s not a position on the roster that isn’t thin. That said, between Mullins, Mancini, Trumbo, Rickard, and Stewart, the outfield is one of the least thin positions we have.

Trumbo coming knee surgery is not an outfielder.  He is a DH.   Of the players listed only one has the arm to play right field.  That is Rickard. And he has proven over the last three years that he can't hit righthanded pitching well enough  to be an everyday player.    If the O's want their pitchers to preform well they have to have a good defense supporting them.   Having players with limited range like Mancini and Stewart in the same outfield  does not meet the objective of good defense.  

One of the objective of the rebuild is to trade veterans now for young players that will help in 2022.   Cobb and Cashner are two of those veteran pitchers that might be traded in July.   The O's need to have a good outfield defense behind them to give them be best chance of performing well so their value is high at trade time.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Remind me how this works again?  A team has 48 hours to claim a DFAd players if put on waivers?  Thanks. 

DFAing a player and asking waivers on a player are two different processes.

A player designated for assignment is removed from his club’s 40-man roster and, within the next seven days, traded, released or, if he clears waivers, assigned to the minor leagues.

Once a team asks for waivers on a player other teams have 48 hours to claim him.

So some time in the 7 day DFA period the team may ask for waivers on the player.  That waiver period lasts 48 hours.

I think Elias has to be concerned that there is little SS depth including the two Rule V guys. 

I think it is okay if we lose, but we can't be the Bad News Bears with shortstop being a position of defensive embarrassment.  Hence the additional shortstop depth with Reinheimer.

47 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

So, it seems like this worked out perfectly for the O's. We now have this guy, he's not on the 40, and he has an option. Right?

Bummed we didn't claim Jose Lopez, but whatever. More opportunity for someone else. 

We didn’t have a shot at Lopez.   NL teams had first dibs and he was claimed quickly.   

Archived