Chase De Jong

wildcard

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sound like a 5th starter.  Are Ramirez, Rogers, Means or Yacabonis going to grade any better as starters?  All 5 of them have options.

No, he sounds like a poor 5th starter, and the Orioles already have a long list of those candidates. I'd much rather give starts to John Means, Josh Rogers or Luis Ortiz than De Jong. I'm going to assume Bundy, Cobb, Cashner, and Hess will be the first four starters barring injury. that leaves Means, Rogers, Ramirez as the likely 5th starter candidates with Luis Ortiz being a longshot candidate. 

Now, if the Orioles decided to ditch Donnie Hart, Evan Phillips or one of the many utility candidates (Hanser Alberto would be first) and bring him in for depth, then I guess there's no harm, but I think he has about as much chance of being successful in Baltimore as Mike Wright does, and that's not good.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

No, he sounds like a poor 5th starter, and the Orioles already have a long list of those candidates. I'd much rather give starts to John Means, Josh Rogers or Luis Ortiz than De Jong. I'm going to assume Bundy, Cobb, Cashner, and Hess will be the first four starters barring injury. that leaves Means, Rogers, Ramirez as the likely 5th starter candidates with Luis Ortiz being a longshot candidate. 

Now, if the Orioles decided to ditch Donnie Hart, Evan Phillips or one of the many utility candidates (Hanser Alberto would be first) and bring him in for depth, then I guess there's no harm, but I think he has about as much chance of being successful in Baltimore as Mike Wright does, and that's not good.

Sounds about right.  I would not go as low a Mike Wright but I think De Jong's option makes him 5th starter depth.  De Jong would have to prove that he gets the yips that Wright gets before I would put that tag on him.

It may be a small sample but De Jong did better in his call up to the majors last year than Means, Rogers or Ramirez.   So for me they go into ST pretty even as 5th starter candidates.

Hart - No options. Is a Relief Pithcer, maybe just a LOOGY. Behind Blieir, Scott, and Fry to make bullpen. Also, we have Gilmartin, Rogers, Lee, Means etc...  as LH options. 

De Jong - Has one option. Is a SP. Has MLB experience. Just turned 25. We don’t have a lot of SP depth. He pitched in primarily hitter’s leagues and he was usually pretty young for the levels he pitched at. 

3 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

These boards are really starved for some Orioles excitement. 

Just nothing happening in baseball right now.

Regarding De Jong, whatever you think about his worthiness compared to current 40 man players, I think it’s safe to say better players will hit waivers between now and opening day. Tons of solid free agents still out there.

On 2/1/2019 at 8:03 AM, TheOtherRipken said:

These boards are really starved for some Orioles excitement. 

On 2/1/2019 at 8:10 AM, wildcard said:

And probably will be all season long.

I’m determined to get interested in the 2019 Orioles, even if I’m more focused on the future than the present.   I had no fun last year after the first 10 games.   This year I’m going to enjoy watching baseball no matter what.   

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m determined to get interested in the 2019 Orioles, even if I’m more focused on the future than the present.   I had no fun last year after the first 10 games.   This year I’m going to enjoy watching baseball no matter what.   

Give this man a drink.

He is going to need it.

On 2/1/2019 at 8:09 AM, Luke-OH said:

Regarding De Jong, whatever you think about his worthiness compared to current 40 man players, I think it’s safe to say better players will hit waivers between now and opening day. Tons of solid free agents still out there.

I have no problem with claiming De Jong, DFAing Hart.  And then if someone better comes along adding them and DFAing De Jong or Wright.

The point is to increase the talent on the roster.

On 2/2/2019 at 3:18 PM, wildcard said:

I have no problem with claiming De Jong, DFAing Hart.  And then if someone better comes along adding them and DFAing De Jong or Wright.

The point is to increase the talent on the roster.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

De Jong cleared waivers and will remain in the Twins organization, per mlbtraderumors.com.

I guess none of the 29 other teams thought De Jong would increase the talent on their roster.   

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I guess none of the 29 other teams thought De Jong would increase the talent on their roster.   

You are right but the O's had more loses than any one last  year so if anyone could use him to improve their talent pool it is probably the O's.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived