A real battle shaping up at O's Shortstop

wildcard

Reno has long had a reputation as one of the most hitter-friendly parks, not just in the Pacific Coast League, but all minor-league baseball. At an altitude of 4,500 feet, the city is close to Denver in terms of altitude, and the slightly lower humidity also works in hitters’ favor. The results means that hitters playing there tend to enjoy an inflation of their statistics, while pitchers’ numbers go the other way, seeing their ERAs bloated by a high run environment. Last year, for example the Reno park factor for runs was 35% above average, second in AAA to only Colorado Springs [Also worth noting, five parks in the PCL had higher park factors for runs than any International League team]

30 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

Those are his career AA numbers.

20 minutes ago, wildcard said:

They are career numbers.  Martin also played at AA in 2017.

Oh, I see, thanks for the clarification. I guess we can hope the better 2018 numbers stick, with the improved vision.

34 minutes ago, atomic said:

You have to look at other players on the team to get a feel for what the offensive numbers mean.  Reinheimer  had the worst OPS of anyone on his team that had at least 80 at bats.  Similarly bad in 2017.  Martin' was fourth in regard to OPS of players with 80 at bats on his team.  PCL is notoriously a hitters league and with Reno having a team OPS of .803 compared to Midland's team OPS of .733 that sort of bares that out.  

When you OPS .665 your third time playing in Reno... yeeesh.  That's like OPSing .550 in Norfolk. 

3 hours ago, interloper said:

I dunno if we can really tell much by these defensive metrics. They're all likely better than Villar or Beckham at SS, so in my mind, they are even Steven. Martin with the edge due to pedigree, but it will definitely be a good battle in Spring Training.

You are one wild and crazy guy!

4 hours ago, panick said:

I'm not familiar with all the metrics used today. What is the RF/9?

Total chances (assists + putouts) per 9 innings played.    It’s a rough proxy for range, but there’s a lot of noise in it.    As wildcard said, there’s nothing better that’s publicly available at the minor league level.    

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Total chances (assists + putouts) per 9 innings played.    It’s a rough proxy for range, but there’s a lot of noise in it.    As wildcard said, there’s nothing better that’s publicly available at the minor league level.    

I'm pretty sure that total chances also includes errors.

Archived