Orioles Sign Eric Young Jr to mil deal

Rene88

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EY is the ultimate depth/stop gap move. Class act. Great teammate. Plays defense. 

Elias has made a lot of IF moves to improve the defense. Ruiz at 3rd. Martin at SS. The various UTIL guys claimed. Even Sucre has a good Def rep. EY is that type of move for the OF. He’s not going to kick the ball around and he protects the young OF prospects from getting rushed. 

I still hope we throw Yaz some PT in ST. 

9 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wonder how many homers Mays would have ended up playing in a park that wasn't so weird.

Mel Ott's home field his whole career was the Polo Grounds and he hit 188 homers on the road.  But 511 total, so 323 at the Polo Grounds.  That's the highest home/road split of any big home run hitter, ever.  Ott had about the same number of road homers as Carlton Fisk and Boog Powell, but more homers at home than Frank Robinson or Jimmy Foxx.

Mays ended up with 335 at home and 325 on the road.  He hit a homer every 17 PA at the Polo Grounds, and also one per 17 at Candlestick.  He hit four of his six career inside-the-park homers at the Polo Grounds.  The other two were hit in a little over a month's time at Candlestick at the end of the '60 season.  In 1960 it looks like Candlestick was 397 in the alleys and 420 to center, so big, but not huge. They later reduced the gaps to 365.

8 hours ago, scOtt said:

Not to mention, how many did he gain, 258 and 279 down the right and left field lines?

Bobby Thompson's "Giants win the Pennant!!" homer was probably not even to the warning track in many parks.  For a while Griffith Stadium in DC was 402 to left, so it was almost 150 feet farther than the Polo Grounds.

11 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I don't think he could hit an "inside the park" home run in the old Polo Grounds...Even if the entire outfield suddenly fainted.

In 1969 Boog Powell hit an inside-the-park homer at Sick's Stadium, where the Seattle Pilots played.  It was apparently 402 to center.  There must have been some kind of collision, combined with either livestock or a band on the field.

16 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

Drungo where do you get all your info? You are like an encyclopedia. You have more info than I could dream of. I've heard of Iron Man but had no idea he was pitching in 1925. 

16 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Yes, baseball reference is a huge resource.  But also I've read a fair amount.  Checked out the Baseball Encyclopedia from the library at the age of nine or ten, read it cover-to-cover.  Spent countless hours in my teens and twenties reading about baseball when I really should have been chasing women.  You know how kids today spend six hours a day playing Fortnite?  I used that time to read Bill James.

33 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yes, baseball reference is a huge resource.  But also I've read a fair amount.  Checked out the Baseball Encyclopedia from the library at the age of nine or ten, read it cover-to-cover.  Spent countless hours in my teens and twenties reading about baseball when I really should have been chasing women.  You know how kids today spend six hours a day playing Fortnite?  I used that time to read Bill James.

And no repair manuals for 1963 beautys? :):):)

Archived