Reds DFA Jose Lopez

Luke-OH

So yeah, yeah, OH has 10 pages on every DFA this offseason. Heck, I wrote an article on Austin Brice who is no longer with the team.

I’ve been saying that as we get closer to opening day that there would be better players getting DFA.

Here is the first of those players, he’s 25 and he was just ok in AAA in 2018, but he’s a live armed dude with good command and decent stuff who is probably a better 5th SP candidate than Hess or Ramirez. He’s not anything special, but it’s an MLB quality arm.

The O’s will probably have to trade for him even though they are first on the waiver order because I’d expect he’ll be in demand.

FB 91-95 w/life, CB, SL, CH

Bring 'em on! It's gonna be a par-tay... :)

... and if we have to trade something, some of those trade pieces from last summer don't sound like much, after Tony's video pans (Carmona, Carroll, even Tate, Encarnacion?)

21 minutes ago, now said:

Bring 'em on! It's gonna be a par-tay... :)

... and if we have to trade something, some of those trade pieces from last summer don't sound like much, after Tony's video pans (Carmona, Carroll, even Tate, Encarnacion?)

No, I wouldn’t trade any of those guys for him. 

20 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

If the Orioles have first dibs, why would they have to trade? 

You mention he was just ok and nothing special. Does he have options and could be a swingman role if he gets his live arm to play up?

He has two options.

His skillset fits the O’s needs better than a bunch of guys currently on the 40 man. He throws strikes and has a varied repertoire. He’s a better RH version of Josh Rogers. He’d be a swingman/middle relief in most situations but I think he’d have a legit chance to compete for the 5th SP spot on this team.

I’m pretty open about my doubts on Hess being an MLB starting pitcher, I think Hess could click in the BP.

Why they’d likely have to move at least a minor piece for him is because the Reds will likely get calls about him and will be able to move him to an interested team before hitting waivers.

Edit: Correction, NL teams have first waiver priority over NL players which slipped my mind at the time of posting. 

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

He has two options.

His skillset fits the O’s needs better than a bunch of guys currently on the 40 man. He throws strikes and has a varied repertoire. He’s a better RH version of Josh Rogers. He’d be a swingman/middle relief in most situations but I think he’d have a legit chance to compete for the 5th SP spot on this team.

I’m pretty open about my doubts on Hess being an MLB starting pitcher, I think Hess could click in the BP.

Why they’d likely have to move at least a minor piece for him is because the Reds will likely get calls about him and will be able to move him to an interested team before hitting waivers.

You had me at TWO options remaining.  

Elias has answered a lot of questions this offseason, but damn ... could he explain how Wright and Hart are surviving this offseason?  

Archived