Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He lied about how much he worked with Coolbaugh in the off-season.

I think there’s more to that story than meets the eye.    I have a high threshold for concluding a player didn’t give a good effort.     It hasn’t been met for me, despite Coolbaugh’s comments.  

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think there’s more to that story than meets the eye.    I have a high threshold for concluding a player didn’t give a good effort.     It hasn’t been met for me, despite Coolbaugh’s comments.  

We disagree.

I think given how last season went Davis should have put forth a better effort in the offseason.

Still wouldn't boo him.

1 hour ago, Dipper9 said:

No disrespect but man I hate that argument. Yes, the fan has a right to boo. But how does that help the team? The fan also has the right to sit there on their phone and not watch a single out, but again, so what?

Extra wins aren't helping the team.   And Davis deserves to be booed more than any other player in the league.   He is hitting .150 and they are playing extreme shift on him but he refuses to bunt.  

I was going to suggest this threads title have "sucks" added to the end of it.  He is terrible but makes no effort to get better.   Maybe if he gets booed enough he willbfaje an injury so we don't have to watch him strike out all the time. 

I'm going to sound like a broken record, but he needs to be benched again.  He is forcing Mancini out of position, and because of that domino effect he is blocking a now-healthy DJ Stewart AND Mountcastle.  He should be treated as a low value Rule 5 guy for the rest of the season, and then re-evaluated next spring.  

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He's hitting .175 for July, about 25 points higher than what his average was coming into the month.  He's getting better.  You guys just have no patience or tolerance.  Lighten up.

I hope that was meant to be sarcasm.

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He's hitting .175 for July, about 25 points higher than what his average was coming into the month.  He's getting better.  You guys just have no patience or tolerance.  Lighten up.

I hope that wasn't meant to be sarcasm!  ?

Davis WAR is back up to -2.5.  It had gotten up as high as -2.2 since he came back. So he seems to be on a downward spiral once again.  Mancini's is up to -1.5.  Combined those guys are providing more losses than Manny is providing wins. So getting rid of Davis, Machado, and Mancini and replace them all with replacement level players and you improve the team. 

9 minutes ago, atomic said:

Davis WAR is back up to -2.5.  It had gotten up as high as -2.2 since he came back. So he seems to be on a downward spiral once again.  Mancini's is up to -1.5.  Combined those guys are providing more losses than Manny is providing wins. So getting rid of Davis, Machado, and Mancini and replace them all with replacement level players and you improve the team. 

I think Mancini will get sent down if his hitting doesn’t pick up shortly.   He had an 8-game stretch from June 24-July 1 where he seemed to be emerging from his slump, but since then he’s 2 for 31.    I think he’ll get 7-10 days after the break to show he’s snapped out of it, and if he doesn’t, he’ll be Norfolk-bound.   

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:16 AM, Frobby said:

I think Mancini will get sent down if his hitting doesn’t pick up shortly.   He had an 8-game stretch from June 24-July 1 where he seemed to be emerging from his slump, but since then he’s 2 for 31.    I think he’ll get 7-10 days after the break to show he’s snapped out of it, and if he doesn’t, he’ll be Norfolk-bound.    

It may be that Mancini who was never highly regarded is not a ML player. That also seems to be the case for Sisco. DJ Stewart is not a ML starter. Mullins? Mountcastle is at best a DH. Where is the O's young core?

I hope the O's get some positional talent for Manny. If they get pitching prospects they will just ruin them before the even get to the majors.

New national outlet article from Jonah Keri:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/orioles-chris-davis-has-a-shot-at-baseball-immortality-and-not-in-a-good-way/

So what's been the silver bullet that's felled our former hero? Shifts. According to Baseball Info Solutions, opposing teams have slapped defensive shifts on 275 of Davis's 323 plate appearances this season. That 85.1 percent shift rate is the highest for any batting title-qualified hitter in the big leagues. As a result, on ground balls and short line drives hit into shifts, Davis is hitting a measly .163.

But even that number -- almost impossibly, one that's slightly higher than Davis's overall batting average -- doesn't tell the full story. Rotowire writer Jason Collette skillfully detailed the brutal effect that shifts have had on Bryce Harper this season. ESPN writer Jerry Crasnick took that train of thought even further, polling MLB veterans Daniel Murphy, Kyle Seager, and Matt Carpenter on how profoundly shifts can mess up even highly skilled left-handed hitters. As those three hitters noted, placing three infielders on the right side of the diamond can play tricks on a hitter's psyche. Try to hit the ball over the shift, and you might end up topping pitches into the dirt, or missing entirely. Try to guide the ball to the left side, and you'll often end up with an easy bouncer hit right to where the one defender on that side is standing. Beyond that, Carpenter told Crasnick:

"There's this whole narrative of 'Why don't guys just hit ground balls to short?' The answer is: (a) It's not that easy and (b) it's the complete thing you've taught yourself your entire baseball career to avoid. If a guy has a chance to hit a homer and a double, and he goes up there trying to slap a ground ball to short, the other team is perfectly fine with that."

This is the pit of despair in which Chris Davis now sits. Pitchers are aiming for the parts of the strike zone where he's weakest, trying to induce ground balls. Davis, staring at constantly overloaded defenses stacked up against him, is damned is he tries to pull the ball, and damned if he doesn't. As a result, Davis might break the all-time record for worst batting average in a season, and the worst overall season ever recorded in the game's history.

As for the Orioles, they're on pace for their worst season since 1910, since the franchise's miserable days as the St. Louis Browns...the same St. Louis Browns who employed Jim Levey, the same player who Davis might eclipse in the record books by season's end. And while the O's will very soon kickstart their rebuilding process by trading Manny Machado, Zach Britton and others for prospects, they'll be paying Davis for so long, your 2018 newborn will be a college sophomore by the time the paychecks stop.

Archived