Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

1 hour ago, Rene88 said:

Yeah, he didn’t want to sign CD, that was all Buck & Brady, the latter of which is still here for some very unsettling reason.

Buck and Brady might have pushed for it - but the Davis deal has Peter Angelos all over it.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don't know, but I would count pitchers for this record since they are supposed to suck at hitting.  Eugenio Velez has the record (for now) among position players.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/171872558/legacy-eugenio-velez-0-for-46-longest-hitless

Interesting that the guy ended his big league career that way.  

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Brooks 1975: .541 OPS

Brooks 1976: .548 OPS

Brooks 1977: .467 OPS

12 hours ago, LA2 said:

To be fair, Brooks had had a decent 1974 (.728, AS, GG, 12th in MVP) and appeared in only 71 and 24 games in the last two seasons you cited.

Agreed. And that was my original point. The games played and AB declined significantly the last two seasons. Brooks was one of the ones I had in mind.  And Brooks still had some useful defensive skills intact in the years just preceding that when he was still a starter.  Davis’ just don’t seem to be enough to counterbalance the gargantuan and steady  decline in offense. Also, according to the bio that came out a few years back, Brooks had some business deals go south and he needed to play a couple of extra years beyond his best to try to climb out of debt. And eventually, he did. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, atomic said:

Barry Bonds had a 1.045 OPS in his last year at 42. 

He was clearly an exception. The condition of his body at 42 and what he (allegedly) put into it are another story.  Sandy Koufax (playing with agonizing arthritis) and Mussina (just felt it was time) went out with fine years. I’m sure there are a few others. But in the natural scheme of things, players decline, they face up to it and then they walk away. It’s anyone’s guess as to what Davis will do when he finally realizes this. At some point, I do think he’ll realize for himself that he can’t do this anymore. That kind of denial in the face of what everyone else is seeing will be hard to keep up. 

32 minutes ago, atomic said:

Well then it isn't the real record. What is it if you include pitchers?

Bob Buhl in 1962 went 0 for 70 which is supposedly the most at bats during a single season without a hit by a hitter or pitcher. 

11 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

He was clearly an exception. The condition of his body at 42 and what he (allegedly) put into it are another story.  Sandy Koufax (playing with agonizing arthritis) and Mussina (just felt it was time) went out with fine years. I’m sure there are a few others. But in the natural scheme of things, players decline, they face up to it and then they walk away. It’s anyone’s guess as to what Davis will do when he finally realizes this. At some point, I do think he’ll realize for himself that he can’t do this anymore. That kind of denial in the face of what everyone else is seeing will be hard to keep up. 

David Ortiz led the league in OPS for his final season. I'm sure he was clean. ?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Darkhawk said:

Bob Buhl in 1962 went 0 for 70 which is supposedly the most at bats during a single season without a hit by a hitter or pitcher. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Buhl

in 1962, Buhl failed to get a hit in 70 at-bats. the worst single-season batting performance in major league history.[1] Baseball author Bill James named Buhl as the worst hitting pitcher of the 1950s.[2] For his career, Buhl had a batting average of .089, with just two extra-base hits (both doubles) in 857 at-bats, for a slugging percentage of .091.

55 minutes ago, atomic said:

I think it is kind of funny now.  I expect people to boo him but I kind of laugh every time he strikes out. Maybe they can play some silly music every time Davis strikes out.  Maybe we can make some slapstick moments out of it. Like Davis pants fall down when he swings.  Put a clown nose on him.  Give him huge shoes.  Have fun with it. 

It is about the same reason why it was kind of interesting last season when the Orioles were flirting with the worst record in history.

14 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

David Ortiz led the league in OPS for his final season. I'm sure he was clean. ?

Ugh, Ortiz. As I say above,  I’m sure there are a few others. And if they were extending their careers with some bodily chemical help, that’s a discussion for another day or thread. It’s easier to point to those who went out on top (I came up with Koufax and Mussina, and in that case, pitchers) than the rest who were subject the natural aging process and declining skills. Speaking of aging pitchers vs. aging hitters, there are lots of pitchers who went well into their forties and were still competitive and successful.

But with the topic at hand, Davis and his batting skills, I think it’s not hard to conclude that it’s quite possible that he’s hit that wall of declining bat speed, pitch recognition and perhaps even failing eyesight. .

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Chris Davis could get bit by a radioactive spider that turns his blood into 100% pure HGH and I doubt he'd still be able to make contact with a ball at this point.

• Upvote 1