Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

13 hours ago, atomic said:

I really find issues with this post.  Do you think janitors are a disgrace?  Most of the ones I see are immigrants trying to help their families make it in this country.  Davis' job is a cakewalk.  I have worked with incompetent people before. None of them seemed depressed. 

I worked as a janitor at the age of 15 and hated it. Actually it was a "porter's" position, much less skilled than a janitor.  Mainly mopping, cleaning bathrooms, and following after incontinent patients in a geriatric center (Levindale). My parents are immigrants and got me the job to put some backbone in me and make sure I realized what life would probably be like if I followed my dream of becoming a writer.

Haha, I just remembered now that my snack at break was usually to sneak into the rec room and still a few spoonfuls of powdered Coffeemate. Big treat was to splurge at the canteen on Tastykake Butterscotch Krimpets.

I wouldn't want to be Chris Davis after the first few million, i.e. half a season a few seasons ago. I've got better things to do with my life, cakewalk or not.

20 hours ago, LA2 said:

The daily humiliation, the responsibility for wasting a roster spot and helping one's team to lose. The disgrace of looking like a pig in that 5-star hotel and front-row dugout seat and clubhouse while dragging one's teammates down, the constant implicit poke at the front office's past stupidity and present paralysis. All disgrace is relative to one's position in the world. The Rich & Famous commit suicide too.

Sadly I am reminded of Mike Flanagan. When someone fails at a job (as I believe Mike did as Orioles GM) and is let go,  that can bring on despondency.

Perhaps it is better to walk away on one's own,  ,before having to be told to do so. If I thought I was about  to be fired I would quit. Many managers , after failure, are giving the option of resigning or being fired, and they resign. Better for one's mental health. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/2/2019 at 1:03 AM, LA2 said:

The daily humiliation, the responsibility for wasting a roster spot and helping one's team to lose. The disgrace of looking like a pig in that 5-star hotel and front-row dugout seat and clubhouse while dragging one's teammates down, the constant implicit poke at the front office's past stupidity and present paralysis. All disgrace is relative to one's position in the world. The Rich & Famous commit suicide, too.

o

Tony Horton was a young power-hitter with the Cleveland Indians. In 1969, he had his best season at the age of 24, belting 27 HR's and 93 RBI's. In 1970, he was having another solid season ........ but in late August he started slumping, and he was booed roundly by frustrated Indians fans. On August 28th, he took himself out of the lineup in a game against the Angels, went out to his car in the parking lot and slit his wrists to try to kill himself. He was just 3 days shy of his 25th birthday, but he never played Major League Baseball again. His manager (Alvin Dark) said that Horton's sudden and permanent exit from the game was the most sorrowful incident that he had ever been involved with in his entire baseball career.

To this day Horton remains secluded from the game, and refuses any and all interviews in regard to his once very promising career that ended so abruptly.

The article in the OP of this thread deals with not only Horton's sad plight, but with someone who was a young Indians fan at the time (18), and his remorse about the way that he behaved on Banner Day in 1970, which was only one day after Horton's attempted suicide.

o

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Tony Horton was a young power-hitter with the Cleveland Indians. In 1969, he had his best season at the age of 24, belting 27 HR's and 93 RBI's. In 1970, he was having another solid season ........ but in late August he started slumping, and he was booed roundly by frustrated Indians fans. On August 28th, he took himself out of the lineup in a game against the Angels, went out to his car in the parking lot and slit his wrists to try to kill himself. He was just 3 days shy of his 25th birthday, but he never played Major League Baseball again. His manager (Alvin Dark) said that Horton's sudden and permanent exit from the game was the most sorrowful incident that he had ever been involved with in his entire baseball career.

To this day Horton remains secluded from the game, and refuses any and all interviews in regard to his once very promising career that ended so abruptly.

The article in the OP of this thread deals with not only Horton's sad plight, but with someone who was a young Indians fan at the time (18), and his remorse about the way that he behaved on Banner Day in 1970, which was only one day before Horton's attempted suicide.

o

Looking at his August 1970 stats he started the month off batting .258  and finished it batting .269.  Seems like he was hitting well that August.  

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

The article in the OP of this thread deals with not only Horton's sad plight, but with someone who was a young Indians fan at the time (18), and his remorse about the way that he behaved on Banner Day in 1970, which was only one day before Horton's attempted suicide.

o

43 minutes ago, atomic said:

Looking at his August 1970 stats he started the month off batting .258  and finished it batting .269.  Seems like he was hitting well that August.  

o

The Indians were a perennially losing team, and he was getting booed a lot if he didn't come through. He was the first target of their frustrations. That's hardly the point of the story.

o

9 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

The Indians were a perennially losing team, and he was getting booed a lot if he didn't come through. He was the first target of their frustrations. That's hardly the point of the story.

o

Sounds like he suffered from mental illness.

23 hours ago, LA2 said:

The daily humiliation, the responsibility for wasting a roster spot and helping one's team to lose. The disgrace of looking like a pig in that 5-star hotel and front-row dugout seat and clubhouse while dragging one's teammates down, the constant implicit poke at the front office's past stupidity and present paralysis. All disgrace is relative to one's position in the world. The Rich & Famous commit suicide, too.

o

Another example is that if Willard Hershberger.

To this day, Hershberger is the only active Major League player ever to have committed suicide during the regular season.

I read this article in 1990, when it came out in Sports Illustrated. Hershberger was a solid back-up catch to Hall-of-Famer Ernie Lombardi, and he was also well-liked by his teammates ........ but he was extremely introverted, very hard on himself, and he internalized his failures. In the 2nd game of a doubleheader the day before he killed himself, he made a defensive miscue that contributed to the team's loss in extra innings. He also struck out in his final plate appearance in the 10th inning. His manager (Bill McKechnie) told the press that Hershberger had had a long, deep conversation with him shortly after the game. But Hershberger had spoken to him with the agreement of confidentiality, and true to his word, McKechnie never shared with the public what they talked about ........ McKechnie took Hershey's secrets with him to the grave. 

o

I can recall Tony Horton.  

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/e1dbb148

From what I read, he apparently attempted suicide while playing with the Indians and was institutionalized.  He was told to sever all ties with MLB for his own mental health.  Initially the Indians said he would miss the 1971 season but return in 1972.  He never returned after he left at age 25.

The theory is that he was always trying to please his perfectionist father.  Once near the end  he crawled the last few steps  back to the dugout after hitting a pop up for an out.I think he was even living with his father as recently as the early 2000's.  

The bright side is that he has been fairly successful after MLB. He refuses all interviews bout his baseball career, does not want anything to do with it.  

,278 27 HR 93 RBI in 1969, and another good year in 1970 with limited games. It's a shame retiring at age 25 when he was on the verge of stardom. But he just couldn't take the pressure and probably did the right thing, if playing had driven him to attempting suicide. 

Edited by Maverick Hiker
link
  • Thanks 1