Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

Couple things here...

Yes, I think he should play everyday and I would bat him 9th and move him around.  I'd DH him, Play him in LF, RF...I'd pitch him 4 innings when we are down 9-1.  I'd pitch him the next day if we are down 5-0 in the second.  In short, id use him every minute of this season as a mop and I'd give Chris Davis every opportunity to have value in 2018.  I no longer think he can improve, but the Orioles should give every opportunity to do so until the end of the year and then he should be moved into the warehouse and off the field.

Chris Davis is not a major league ball player at least not with his performance for the last 18 months or so.  But he isn't stealing anything.  To his credit he shows up, everyday.  Now, I don't mean he shouldn't be criticized, of course he should.  And his work ethic has been called into question and I think that is also fair.  But I wish we could be better at the criticism than calling him a thief.  I know I am splitting hairs but this is a fantastic place because of the standards and expectations of posters.  I point this out only in the hopes of you pulling us up an not the rest of us pulling you down. 

Finally, if the rebuild is going to be total, I could see using Davis the same way next year, but honestly I do not think he/we could stand it.  But it could be interesting to see...he could pitch a lot.  Until his arm falls off.  Do you think we have insurance?  And I apologize if I am out of line. ;) 

I do ....it's called Adderrall or whatever the comparable is!

2 hours ago, 24fps said:

You're probably right about him never coming back, but my notion of simple decency says make the offer and try to give him an escape from what I think is going to soon become really brutal and go on for a long time.  With some time in the minors there's also a chance that he gets back to being at least a replacement level player.  Not for a minute do I expect that, but the size of the financial commitment tells me that's an option that will be explored by the Orioles unless and until he refuses outright.  

I think I could find a way to tolerate riding a minor league bus for four years or so if I was paid $23 million per to do so.  

If Davis goes down to the minors, it will be for 2 or 3 weeks.  Maybe he could go down for an "imaginary" injury.  With the way he's swinging something has to hurt.  No way will Davis give permission to the O's to send him to the minors for an unlimited period of time.

I don't see the Orioles sending Davis to the Minors if things work the way I believe that they do.

He has no options, so he would have to be designated for assignment and then released. Since his salary is guaranteed, they'd still have to pay him that. Then they would have to sign him to a minor league contract if they want him to face live competition. Assuming he ever does well enough to try him back up in Baltimore, they would have to resign him to a (I would think) minimum major league salary contract, which in 2018 is $545,000.00, prorated for games. 

Does anyone here think that the O's will sign a 2nd contract with Davis to pay him an additional $545,000.00 on top of what he's getting in hopes that he has actually regained his ability to hit? I don't.

1 minute ago, Carllamy said:

I don't see the Orioles sending Davis to the Minors if things work the way I believe that they do.

He has no options, so he would have to be designated for assignment and then released. Since his salary is guaranteed, they'd still have to pay him that. Then they would have to sign him to a minor league contract if they want him to face live competition. Assuming he ever does well enough to try him back up in Baltimore, they would have to resign him to a (I would think) minimum major league salary contract, which in 2018 is $545,000.00, prorated for games. 

Does anyone here think that the O's will sign a 2nd contract with Davis to pay him an additional $545,000.00 on top of what he's getting in hopes that he has actually regained his ability to hit? I don't.

I think the O's would just have to pass him through waivers to send him to the minors.  No one if claiming that contract.  I believe if the O's DFA him and no one claims him, they can outright him to the minors.  

If Davis made it back to the O's I don't believe they would have to pay an extra $545k to him.  That is for other teams that claim a player that is DFA'ed.  They only have to pay the major league minimum towards his guaranteed contract.

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I think the O's would just have to pass him through waivers to send him to the minors.  No one if claiming that contract.  I believe if the O's DFA him and no one claims him, they can outright him to the minors.  

If Davis made it back to the O's I don't believe they would have to pay an extra $545k to him.  That is for other teams that claim a player that is DFA'ed.  They only have to pay the major league minimum towards his guaranteed contract.

He can refuse it and get released instead, in which case the O's have to pay him.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

He can refuse it and get released instead, in which case the O's have to pay him.

The O's have to pay him regardless.  Obviously this is something the O's would have to discuss with Davis before doing it.  If Davis agrees to be sent to the minors, can he be kept there without a time limit?

An argument can be made that the Orioles would come out ahead financially if they release Davis. They would upgrade 1B with literally almost anyone else which would theoretically give them a better chance to win more games which would bring out more fans and increase TV ratings. Yeah it's a stretch but I'm tired of watching this guy wave at the ball three times and go sit back down.

14 hours ago, 24fps said:

This comment [that because Angelos does not pay employees cor not working, he will tolerate Davis being awful rather than pay him to not work] is an article of faith bordering on urban legend.  Or maybe it's the other way around.  Either way you have no way of knowing what the Orioles will or won't do in the face of a situation like this.  It is unprecedented.

I think that's basically true, but there is some indirect precedent. 

In light of the reports that Peter Angelos made the decision to sign Davis to a long-term contract, removing him from the roster would be, in effect, a concession by Angelos that he made a very costly mistake. So far as I can tell, Angelos consistently has been unwilling or unable to make such concessions or to revisit bad decisions he has made. Were it otherwise, the Orioles would have traded Machado last year or in the off-season, and they would be scouting, drafting and developing international free agents.

Angelos's history would suggest that for a while, say this year and next, the  Orioles' options are limited to playing Davis, having him ride the bench, and finding a way to get him to the DL. 

43 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If Davis goes down to the minors, it will be for 2 or 3 weeks.  Maybe he could go down for an "imaginary" injury.  With the way he's swinging something has to hurt.  No way will Davis give permission to the O's to send him to the minors for an unlimited period of time.

He is s bad there must be something wrong with him. Even if is mental it is not "phantom". Didn't Vottp have to spend time away from the game for mental issues?

14 minutes ago, vab said:

An argument can be made that the Orioles would come out ahead financially if they release Davis. They would upgrade 1B with literally almost anyone else which would theoretically give them a better chance to win more games which would bring out more fans and increase TV ratings. Yeah it's a stretch but I'm tired of watching this guy wave at the ball three times and go sit back down.

This is the right take.  You have to pay Davis regardless of his production.  Economically does DFA-ing Davis and moving on come out ahead of carrying him on the roster the next fours years?

The organization comes out ahead writing off Davis as a sunk cost and start a serious rebuild.  

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Is anybody else really bored with this topic?    It’s just repeating the same five points over and over again.   

As long as the Orioles insist on running him out there, and Davis refuses to do the honorable thing, it is about all we have to talk about as Orioles fans. Just how epically bad he is and will be is a legitimate question that the Orioles have put on the table. And somehow Davis continues to get worse.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

As long as the Orioles insist on running him out there, and Davis refuses to do the honorable thing, it is about all we have to talk about as Orioles fans. Just how epically bad he is and will be is a legitimate question that the Orioles have put on the table. And somehow Davis continues to get worse.

This is a once in a lifetime type event unfolding.  It's the inverse of Cal Ripken breaking the consecutive games streak.

Davis isn't just bad, he is on track for worst season ever by a position player.