Question: Is that Ryan Mountcastle at first base?

wildcard

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

IMO Elias is focused on 2022 when I think he projects the O's to contend.   So he is always looking forward.  On Trumbo, Mancini and everyone else.

I mean I agree, obviously. Judging by the reactions to this post, I think people were sort of misinterpreting what I was saying. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

I’d like to see what Mountcastle could do at second. Everything I read says he has the athletic ability to play anywhere in the infield but lacks the arm. Him playing second would allow Mancini at first long term.

Mancini will be over by the time the Orioles are ready to compete again. What I hope for is that he hits real well and brings  good trade return. 

5 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Do we even know that Mountcastle has been working out at first, or are we still basing this whole discussion on that clip?

He's been working out at 1st and 3rd. 1st yesterday, 3rd today, Hyde says he'll be evaluated at both. Not trying to position him based on team need, just what's best for Mountcastle's development. Said they might look at him in the outfield in the future, but want to evaluate him in the infield first. 

27 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

He also got a first baseman glove for his birthday...

When Ryan Mountcastle reported to the Orioles' clubhouse this week, surprises awaited on the schedule and in the locker just to his right. Upon arrival, infield coach Jose Flores approached Mountcastle with a directive: move across the diamond. Locker neighbor Chris Davis then lent him a hand.

After all, Mountcastle, a shortstop turned third baseman, hadn't come to Florida with a first baseman's mitt.

"My buddy Chris gave me one," Mountcastle said.

Although Mountcastle was back at third base Tuesday, Rio Ruiz, a career third baseman, and Steve Wilkerson, who has played just three Minor League games there, worked out at first. Jace Peterson, predominately a second baseman, took reps with Mountcastle at third. Drew Jackson, an infielder by trade, practiced in the outfield.

"I think you're going to see a lot of movement," O's manager Brandon Hyde said. "Guys are going to be flipped all over the place as we go forward, for sure."

Mountcastle, for his part, is no stranger to moving around. Since he was drafted in 2015 as a shortstop, scouts noted his build and his bat -- and hinted they might suit him better in a corner role. The throwing issues he experienced early on expedited that transition. Mountcastle's cameos at third base began in Rookie ball; by last year, he'd shifted over full time.

"I feel like I did a lot better over there, getting my throws down and my footwork," Mountcastle said of third base. "I feel more confident for sure."

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/ryan-mountcastle-plays-1b-at-orioles-camp/c-304157854

Archived