February has been a month to add age to a young O's rebuilding team

wildcard

Elias has added 5 players 30 or over to O's spring training camp.  Two or three of them have a good chance of breaking camp with the O's.  Could 33 year old Adam Jones be next?

2/5/19 Baltimore Orioles signed soon to be 31 year old free agent C Jesus Sucre to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

2/7/19 Baltimore Orioles signed 31 year old free agent RHP Nate Karns.
2/11/19 Baltimore Orioles signed 33 year old free agent LF Eric Young Jr. to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

2/16/19 Baltimore Orioles signed 32 year old free agent SS Alcides Escobar to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

2/19/19 Baltimore Orioles claimed 30 year old Josh Osich off waivers from San Francisco Giants.

I think these guys and mainly Escobar and to some extent Young JR. we’re  added not because of what they can do on the field but what they can bring off the field. Escobar has been around the game for quite a while and has been respectable everyday player who plays near every game and from what I’ve read has a great attitude good club house guy. He’s leadership could be huge for the young guys.

13 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

I think these guys and mainly Escobar and to some extent Young JR. we’re  added not because of what they can do on the field but what they can bring off the field. Escobar has been around the game for quite a while and has been respectable everyday player who plays near every game and from what I’ve read has a great attitude good club house guy. He’s leadership could be huge for the young guys.

A guy who has been near replacement level or below in 3 straight seasons is a respectable everyday player...

in the minor leagues.

35 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias has added 5 players 30 or over to O's spring training camp.  Two or three of them have a good chance of breaking camp with the O's.  Could 33 year old Adam Jones be next?

2/5/19 Baltimore Orioles signed soon to be 31 year old free agent C Jesus Sucre to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

2/7/19 Baltimore Orioles signed 31 year old free agent RHP Nate Karns.
2/11/19 Baltimore Orioles signed 33 year old free agent LF Eric Young Jr. to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

2/16/19 Baltimore Orioles signed 32 year old free agent SS Alcides Escobar to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

2/19/19 Baltimore Orioles claimed 30 year old Josh Osich off waivers from San Francisco Giants.

I don't care what they do. Just because so and so was signed doesn't mean they will be on the team opening day. And if they are so be it. I won't assume Mike has made a mistake. 

30 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Quick, does this match what they did in Houston?  Cause if they didn't do this in Houston then this whole thing is just off the rails.

Houston 2012 pre-season adds:

One year deals for under a million bucks and waiver claims are not going to upset the timeline.

This is a lot better than some 3 million dollar ML deal for lousy players, or some multi year deal where we can’t send a player to the minors, etc.

5 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I guess you didn’t hear that we got him on a minor league deal, lucky you.

I did, and hope that is where he ends up. I take issue with calling him a respectable everyday major league player now. He hasn’t been for a while.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What if Martin starts at SS and Escobar is a utility player?

There is a long list of guys I would prefer who would be younger and cheaper. Guys with no major league caliber baseball skills are fairly easy to acquire and/or already exist in the system. Glove men who can’t hit are everywhere, and Escobar is no longer a glove man and hits like a backup catcher.

52 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I did, and hope that is where he ends up. I take issue with calling him a respectable everyday major league player now. He hasn’t been for a while.

I believe if you reread my post who’ll see it states has been and I did not mean to insinuate now. I think it’s a benefit of having a guy like him who has solid history former gold glover and World Series champion in camp mentoring guys who have never even been in the big leagues and others who very limited experience at the big league level at short stop who is signed for less than a million to a minor league deal. So yes I see the benefit in I.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Quick, does this match what they did in Houston?  Cause if they didn't do this in Houston then this whole thing is just off the rails.

Seems this is pretty much what Andy and Dan did too...sign low risk, dumpster diver type veterans in the offseason.   But now it is analytical.  So, there’s that. 

Archived