Horrible O's Outfield review on Orioles.com

wildcard

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree.  Rickard is the easiest one to get squeezed.  A guy like Rickard needs every opportunity to show that he can play.  A guy like Hays or Diaz gets every opportunity to show they CAN'T play.  

No doubt. That was why I want to see Stewart get that kind of a chance. Not like he is 22. His time is now.  

We know Trumbo is gone after this year and who knows about Davis. I think Stewart could be a 4/5th OF/DH type if things go well. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

No doubt. That was why I want to see Stewart get that kind of a chance. Not like he is 22. His time is now.  

We know Trumbo is gone after this year and who knows about Davis. I think Stewart could be a 4/5th OF/DH type if things go well. 

I agree.

Which is why they need to get rid of Davis.  I get it, I get it, I get it....new regime needs to see if they can make him better.

But this team can't afford to have Mancini in LF when there's this amount of outfielders that need to get a look this year.  They gotta have Mancini at first and let these kids play in the outfield.  Davis, IMO, should get 90 days to show that he can produce or not...and if not, they gotta buyout, DFA, etc. 

Stewart, Hays, Diaz and their futures are way more important than figuring out if Davis can get a little better.  

I appears that  Elias understands park adjustments and that is why he invited Yaz to major league camp. 

Yaz away stats at AAA 290/378/489/867

His Harbor park starts are 236/337/385/722

I can't see any reason for Yaz to be in major league ST camp if Elias did not think his performance away from Harbor Park meant he deserved a chance to show what he can do.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree.

Which is why they need to get rid of Davis.  I get it, I get it, I get it....new regime needs to see if they can make him better.

But this team can't afford to have Mancini in LF when there's this amount of outfielders that need to get a look this year.  They gotta have Mancini at first and let these kids play in the outfield.  Davis, IMO, should get 90 days to show that he can produce or not...and if not, they gotta buyout, DFA, etc. 

Stewart, Hays, Diaz and their futures are way more important than figuring out if Davis can get a little better.  

At some point time will force them to make a decision with Davis. We aren’t there yet. 

It would be great if the young kids are forcing them to make a decision this year. It would not surprise me to see them let go of Trumbo at some point after the break either. My guess is they give Davis a full year but half a season is not unreasonable. 

In a perfect world we start seeing some real competition around here where guys are pushing to get to the big leagues with real talent.  

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree.

I agree.

Just now, wildcard said:

I appears that  Elias understands park adjustments and that is why he invited Yaz to major league camp. 

Yaz away stats at AAA 290/378/489/867

His Harbor park starts are 236/337/385/722

I can't see any reason for Yaz to be in major league ST camp if Elias did not think his performance away from Harbor Park meant he deserved a chance to show what he can do.

If I’m Mike Yaz when I am done playing I just want to walk away  with some sort of a big league career. His ceiling is an extra OF type. I would have no issue if he gets a chance this year. The time though is now for Stewart who has a much higher ceiling.

Depending on the roster construction you could certainly argue a spot for him under the right circumstances. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

If I’m Mike Yaz when I am done playing I just want to walk away  with some sort of a big league career. His ceiling is an extra OF type. I would have no issue if he gets a chance this year. The time though is now for Stewart who has a much higher ceiling.

Depending on the roster construction you could certainly argue a spot for him under the right circumstances. 

All I think Yaz  has earned is a chance to show what he can do.

And outfield of Mancini in left and Stewart in right has very limited range.   I would rather see someone in right that has some range and helps out the pitchers.   For me Stewart belongs in left field after Trumbo is traded and Mancini moves out of left.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

And outfield of Mancini in left and Stewart in right has very limited range.   I would rather see someone in right that has some range and helps out the pitchers.   For me Stewart belongs in left field after Trumbo is traded and Mancini moves out of left.

Thats a huge "IF"

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hyde values speed and defense, he's said, so that's part of it. I don't think Yaz being in camp really deserves a ton of our thought. He's a guy, he's had some good seasons, plays hard, is somewhat speedy and plays good D. 

He's in camp. I dunno. Donny Hart is in camp. Jack Reinheimer is in camp. 

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Yaz is 28 years old. Whatever chance he gets will be due to circumstances as much as anything. 

I think you are worrying too much about positional fit on a non contending team. The Orioles need to see Stewart play. He can show his athleticism and bat regardless of whether he is true RF or not.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Other than the mistake about Rickard’s options, I didn’t think the article was bad.    wildcard has been crushing on Little Yaz all winter, and though it’s nice that he earned a spring invite, he’s not on the 40-man roster and his odds of making the OD roster are extremely long.   I don’t think it’s a big deal that Trezza didn’t mention him.   As to whether Santander had a “strong” showing in the Venezuelan Winter League, the mean OPS there is about .717.   In that context, .748 is a pretty solid hitting line.    You can debate whether to call it “strong” but it’s certainly not bad.    

I miss Britt but overall think Trezza is doing solid work so far.    

Agreed, Britt is hard to replace, but  Trezza has been good so far.

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Yaz is 28 years old. Whatever chance he gets will be due to circumstances as much as anything. 

I think you are worrying too much about positional fit on a non contending team. The Orioles need to see Stewart play. He can show his athleticism and bat regardless of whether he is true RF or not.  

If we are non-contending there is no reason not to let Yaz have at least a couple of days in the big leagues.  He has been with this team for a very long time and I am not sure why he wasn't called up last year.  You need to reward your guys who have been plugging away so long. 

Archived