Horrible O's Outfield review on Orioles.com

wildcard

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Couple thoughts:

1) Britt is a tough act to follow

2) I believe Santander finished very strong in winter ball.  Maybe even tore it up in the postseason down there?  Do we know I'd that slash line for him includes postseason play down there?

Santander had a .175 ISO, a 9% BB rate and a 13% K rate. That's not amazing, but quite good, he had a .269 BABIP which dragged down the overall line, but BABIP takes more than a full MLB season worth of data to become somewhat reliable. So for the three stats that stabilize first he did pretty well. HR rate, ISO, BB rate, and K rate are the only stats that begin to stabilize and give a solid idea of true talent in the 201 PA sample size. 

Roch writes:

"Also in camp are non-roster invites Sean Gilmartin, Josh Rogers, John Means and Chris Lee."   Of course Rogers and Means are on the 40 man roster.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/02/notes-on-villar-and-osich-before-todays-orioles-workout.html

I read this stuff and just shake my head.   This is what these guys do for a living.  Isn't it worth getting it right?

25 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Roch writes:

"Also in camp are non-roster invites Sean Gilmartin, Josh Rogers, John Means and Chris Lee."   Of course Rogers and Means are on the 40 man roster.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/02/notes-on-villar-and-osich-before-todays-orioles-workout.html

I read this stuff and just shake my head.   This is what these guys do for a living.  Isn't it worth getting it right?

Roch writes his own evaluations.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I appears that  Elias understands park adjustments and that is why he invited Yaz to major league camp. 

Yaz away stats at AAA 290/378/489/867

His Harbor park starts are 236/337/385/722

I can't see any reason for Yaz to be in major league ST camp if Elias did not think his performance away from Harbor Park meant he deserved a chance to show what he can do.

Of course Elias understands park adjustments.    Any fan who can find park splits can understand it.   It’s not a hard concept.   

I think Elias also understands the concept that when a player is 27 years old and is playing in AAA for a third consecutive season (mixed with a good bit of AA all three years), he’s not likely to perform well in the major leagues.    It’s fine to bring the guy to major league camp and give him his shot, but expectations should be pretty low.

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Of course Elias understands park adjustments.    Any fan who can find park splits can understand it.   It’s not a hard concept.   

I think Elias also understands the concept that when a player is 27 years old and is playing in AAA for a third consecutive season (mixed with a good bit of AA all three years), he’s not likely to perform well in the major leagues.    It’s fine to bring the guy to major league camp and give him his shot, but expectations should be pretty low.

Expectations are pretty low of many of the candidates for the right field.  Rickard's 3 year major league history shows he can't hit right-handed pitching very well.   Stewart was outhit and out played in the field by Yaz at AAA last year.   Santander did not hit at AA last year.  Young has played very little rightfield in his career and is better know for this speed than his arm.  He has failed to hit well in the majors.  If Hays, Diaz and McKenna all start in the minors because they are the future outfield and don't need to rushed, basically all the O's have are guys that we should have low expectations in.  In that world Yaz has a shot.

In the world of the blind the one eyed man is king.

The point about park adjustment is that Yaz like Mancini hit better away from Harbor  Park.   Harbor Park is not the best place to judge how successful players can hit.  Posters on here talk about making the adjustment then compare Yaz's overall numbers at AAA without making the adjustment.   They should be aware that Yaz had a 867 OPS on the road in AAA.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Expectations are pretty low of many of the candidates for the right field.  Rickard's 3 year major league history shows he can't hit right-handed pitching very well.   Stewart was outhit and out played in the field by Yaz at AAA last year.   Santander did not hit at AA last year.  Young has played very little rightfield in his career and is better know for this speed than his arm.  He has failed to hit well in the majors.  If Hays, Diaz and McKenna all start in the minors because they are the future outfield and don't need to rushed, basically all the O's have are guys that we should have low expectations in.  In that world Yaz has a shot.

In the world of the blind the one eyed man is king.

Yeah, he has a shot.    Not a very good one, IMO, but he certainly has a better shot than the guys who weren’t invited to big league camp.   Hopefully he makes the most of it.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, he has a shot.    Not a very good one, IMO, but he certainly has a better shot than the guys who weren’t invited to big league camp.   Hopefully he makes the most of it.

Me too. The invite is all he could ask for at this point.  Now its up to him to make the best of it.

Archived