Electric Stuff

wildcard

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like very, very good news to me.  One of our best, high ceiling pitching prospects throwing pain-free and showing "electric stuff".   Obviously, a long way to go from here to a 175 inning SP3 or better, but it's a start.  Few prospects have more potential to surprise on the upside and shorten the time frame to our next competitive team than Harvey.

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think I know what you're talking about, but can you please define force transfer?

And yes, genetic differences is a much more sophisticated way of saying what I meant before.  

This is pretty close to the point of force transfer.

Where the lead leg hits, when there is max scapular retraction and the hips are open but the shoulders are still closed. 

The forward momentum gets stopped by the lead leg and torso begins to rotate through led by the glove arm and the rhomboid releases and the pectoral fires. Force gets transferred to the shoulder and elbow at that point.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Bundy  pitched 22 innings in 2015 because of injuries.  He pitched 109.2 innings in 2016 in the majors.

Harvey has pitched 89 innings in the last three years combined.   In his one semi-healthy season four years ago, he threw 87.2 innings.   I seriously doubt he throws as many as 109.2 innings this year, even if he’s healthy.    I remember people thinking the O’s really pushed it with Bundy by letting him go 109.2, and he kind of started running out of gas in mid-August that year, pitching to a 6.00 ERA in his final 8 starts, which covered only 39 innings.

36 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Harvey has pitched 89 innings in the last three years combined.   In his one semi-healthy season four years ago, he threw 87.2 innings.   I seriously doubt he throws as many as 109.2 innings this year, even if he’s healthy.    I remember people thinking the O’s really pushed it with Bundy by letting him go 109.2, and he kind of started running out of gas in mid-August that year, pitching to a 6.00 ERA in his final 8 starts, which covered only 39 innings.

Bundy pitched 65.3 inning in the three years from 2013-2015.  In 2016 he pitched 109.2 innings. And when he returned in 2016 his stuff was not called electric.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Bundy pitched 65.3 inning in the three years from 2013-2015.  In 2016 he pitched 109.2 innings. And when he returned in 2016 his stuff was not called electric.

One school of thought is that if you have electric stuff you go out there as often as possible until a ligament snaps.

13 minutes ago, Pheasants said:

Luke, once we heard a lot about certain pitches being in the problem.  Is there evidence backing that up or refuting it?

Anecdotally, but I’m not sure if there is any data based support for it. I’ll see what I can find.

On 2/21/2019 at 2:35 PM, sammyt said:

Like the enthusiasm in Hyde's comments about a bunch of our players, but I am also getting the sense he is going to be "talking his book" (to use an investment term) more than Buck ever did.

Nothing wrong with that.   It's maybe just a stylistic difference.

Can you explain the term?

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, Harvey’s performance today certainly was electric.    At least, the Twins put a charge into his offerings.    

He pretty much stayed with the 96-98 mph fastball in his first outing according to Melewski.   Hope he comes out of it healthy.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

He pretty much stayed with the 96-98 mph fastball in his first outing according to Melewski.   Hope he comes out of it healthy.

I don’t put much stock into early spring training outings, but I’m into getting outs and not allowing a double, a homer and two fly outs in five batters.  I’m glad velocity is good but if they’re squaring it up it really doesn’t matter.    

Archived