Elias interview 105.7

eddie83

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

Trey is potentially a better overall hitter if he can repeat his rookie season. 

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If we are going by repeating best seasons it is Davis.

Lol you guys are stretching.  “Ifs” and “potentially”s.....and Chris Davis.

Fake news.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, interloper said:

Trey is potentially a better overall hitter if he can repeat his rookie season. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

If we are going by repeating best seasons it is Davis.

Well, I think we'd agree that Trey profiles as a more valuable type of hitter than Trumbo, no? Ideally. But with only two seasons under his belt, we don't really know which guy he is. 

I might agree that Trumbo is the team's best overall consistent hitter at the moment. I think a good Trey year would easily surpass anything Trumbo does this year, though. 

Mike Elias said on 1057 the Fan: 

Scott: "Could there be an addition as things play out in ST?"

Mike: "I always think there could be an addition or two.  There are a lot of free agents out there.  I don't know how active we are going to be in that pool. We are certainly going to keep our eyes on it. And you never know.  You might make a trade during ST.  And particularly we are going to monitor the waiver wire, because a lot of player get taken off the roster during the spring.  And we want to be aggressive if there is something that we like. I doubt there will be zero transactions between now and opening day."

Those comments should put O's players on notice that they have to perform during ST or they may be DFA'd.

Araujo:  He has to show he is worthy of a roster spot.  If Elias finds someone he likes better he could be returned to the Cubs.

Wright and Hart:  Both are out of options and if it is determined in ST that they are not going to make the bullpen they could be DFA'd at any time for a waiver wire player with options.

Phillip: Though he did well in AAA, he didn't impress in the majors last season.  Right handed relievers are replaced all the time if they don't impress.    Elias and Hyde will be evaluating whether the waiver wire holds someone better.  He needs to show well.

Santander:  Didn't do very well at AA last season.  He needs to show well this spring to hold his spot on the roster.

Osich: The O's will take a look but nothing is guaranteed.   Alberto and Reinheimer were both picked up by Elias off the waiver wire.  Both were DFA'd.   One made it through to Norfolk.  One was claimed.

It should be noted that Escobar  and maybe one the catchers -Perez or Susac or Sucre may be added to the 40 man roster by opening day.    Current players with 40 man roster spots  will be moved to make room.

The competition in the O's camp should be intense.

Let's play ball.

6 hours ago, interloper said:

Well, I think we'd agree that Trey profiles as a more valuable type of hitter than Trumbo, no? Ideally. But with only two seasons under his belt, we don't really know which guy he is. 

I might agree that Trumbo is the team's best overall consistent hitter at the moment. I think a good Trey year would easily surpass anything Trumbo does this year, though. 

Trumbo is the streakiest and least consistent hitter on the team with an entire career to support it. He’s consistent in when he is streaky typically if thats what you mean.

18 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

Trumbo is the streakiest and least consistent hitter on the team with an entire career to support it. He’s consistent in when he is streaky typically if thats what you mean.

I’d like to see evidence of this.    Most players are pretty streaky and I can’t say Trumbo stands out in my mind.   

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d like to see evidence of this.    Most players are pretty streaky and I can’t say Trumbo stands out in my mind.   

Im not sure how to copy and paste it. Compare OPS year over year and compare his monthly splits in his career. Its all over the place. The only thing he is consistent at is a yearly .300 ish obp. 

14 hours ago, TheOtherRipken said:

Im not sure how to copy and paste it. Compare OPS year over year and compare his monthly splits in his career. Its all over the place. The only thing he is consistent at is a yearly .300 ish obp. 

But how does that compare to other players?   This is actually pretty straightforward to answer, but it would be a fair amount of work.  Just figure out what the weekly/monthly/whatever standard deviation is across MLB of your favorite offensive production stat, and compare to Trumbo. 

Over time many posters here have declared that Luke Scott or Chris Davis or Mark Reynolds or any number of other people were "the streakiest hitter I've ever seen".  But nobody ever ran the numbers.  Nobody could even define how streaky an average player is.

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

But how does that compare to other players?   This is actually pretty straightforward to answer, but it would be a fair amount of work.  Just figure out what the weekly/monthly/whatever standard deviation is across MLB of your favorite offensive production stat, and compare to Trumbo. 

Over time many posters here have declared that Luke Scott or Chris Davis or Mark Reynolds or any number of other people were "the streakiest hitter I've ever seen".  But nobody ever ran the numbers.  Nobody could even define how streaky an average player is.

Hyperbole on my part aside, all are streaky, the Os sure have a type ?

• 2 weeks later...

I was driving but Elias was on earlier with Steve Melewski for about an inning during the online broadcast. 

- said he looked into Bundy HR rate and thought some was luck related. Said he is fly ball pitcher, also analytics and pitch sequencing for Dylan can help  

-sounds very high on Diaz. Can’t recall exact adjective. By way he sounds think he starts at AA. Said along lines of hasn’t graduated yet from AA 

- said will monitor Davis, if they have to intervene they will. Talking about approach. Said typical about how he is in good shape  

-Ruiz was a guy they signed because of underslot for Correa when in Houston 

-said he has personally met with top amateur talent over winter and will do so again. Talked about how they will monitor top 5 of draft. Said several choices he feels good about. 

Archived