TT: Spring training takes 2/24

Tony-OH

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, vatech1994 said:

Great stuff Tony.  Thanks so much.

I saw Hyde’s praise for Wright yesterday, but I’ve got to say that I disagree.  I thought he was pretty lucky overall.  There was runner thrown out going 1st to 3rd that bailed him out.  They hit the ball hard off him.  He didn’t seem to have much of a slider to me.  His location was ok I suppose.  First outing and all so no big deal, but I wasn’t encouraged.  It looked like the same old Wright to me.

The runner being thrown out at 3B helped Wright, but Wilkerson’s botching of a grounder to 1B hurt him.   So call that even.   

I agree he didn’t look that impressive.  

This seems as good a thread as any to put this in... Roch's 12:00 article today, pre-game notes with Brandon Hyde.

“Yeah, 100 percent,” [Hyde] said. "I like our guys. I’m not putting any type of, this is our goal. Our goal is really a process-based, day to day, we’re going to throw out the best lineup on a nightly basis, we’re going to try to win every single night. And I think the results will take care of themselves if we just focus on the process part of it.”

:D

1 hour ago, vatech1994 said:

Great stuff Tony.  Thanks so much.

I saw Hyde’s praise for Wright yesterday, but I’ve got to say that I disagree.  I thought he was pretty lucky overall.  There was runner thrown out going 1st to 3rd that bailed him out.  They hit the ball hard off him.  He didn’t seem to have much of a slider to me.  His location was ok I suppose.  First outing and all so no big deal, but I wasn’t encouraged.  It looked like the same old Wright to me.

I think Wright is going to be DFA'd. Hyde seems like a real positive guy which is good for this stage in the Orioles rebuild. I'm not sure yet how much can be taken from his praise yet. I didn't see the outing, but I've seen enough of Mike Wright.

A couple things (and I know it's one game)

1. I really like the patience the hitters showed (especially Mullins)

2. Chance Sisco looks like he's bulked up some. 

3. Yusniel Diaz looks bulkier and the ball sounded good off his bat. Looks to have a good idea of the strike zone. Reminds me alot of Cespedes.

4. Just cut Mike Wright now. Still the same guy, only with less stuff now.

5. It was interesting to hear Hyde intends to play guys more. Makes me think Buck kinda catered to guys not playing them as much, thus they weren't as ready for the season. Maybe I took that wrong. 

I'm pretty excited to see these guys over the course of 2019. I think there will be plenty of ups and downs. But I wouldn't be shocked to see a group of hungry kids perform better than we think. Even Davis may benefit being around a group of guys like this. The old cast got stale.

Archived