Núñez vs. Ruiz

Frobby

There hasn’t been much discussion of the positional battle at 3B, probably because most people think Núñez hit well enough last year to presumably win a starting spot in 2019.     But I wouldn’t rule out Ruiz just yet.   He’s an Elias draftee, and I expect he’s a better defender than Nunez, who has looked like a butcher so far this spring after seeming to make some progress last year defensively.    And, Ruiz got his spring off to a good start with a three-run bomb on Sunday.    I think this is an underrated camp battle in terms of the uncertainty over who will earn the spot.   

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There hasn’t been much discussion of the positional battle at 3B, probably because most people think Núñez hit well enough last year to presumably win a starting spot in 2019.     But I wouldn’t rule out Ruiz just yet.   He’s an Elias draftee, and I expect he’s a better defender than Nunez, who has looked like a butcher so far this spring after seeming to make some progress last year defensively.    And, Ruiz got his spring off to a good start with a three-run bomb on Sunday.    I think this is an underrated camp battle in terms of the uncertainty over who will earn the spot.   

Good post.  Ruiz also has OF on his resume so he could be another super UTI like Drew Jackson.  I don't see Nunez having that capability.

27 minutes ago, interloper said:

Won't have much room if the two Rule 5 infielders are kept. Still possible, but definitely not if they keep Escobar. 

Infield:(7)  Mancini, Villar, Escobar, Ruiz   Subs: Martin, Nunez, Davis

Catchers: (2)  Sisco and Perez

DH: (1) Trumbo

OF: (3) Jackson, Mullins and Rickard

Mancini switches to left when Davis plays 1B.

Stewart, Wilkerson, Hays and Santander optioned,  Yaz and Diaz back to the minors.

This looks like a good defensive team to me.  It keeps all the players in the O's organization so there is depth when injuries happen.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Stewart, Wilkerson, Hays and Santander optioned,  Yaz and Diaz back to the minors.

This looks like a good defensive team to me.  It keeps all the players in the O's organization so there is depth when injuries happen.

Interesting, though I think the fit is a lot easier without Escobar and I really hope they go that route. I just don't see value in him other than to serve as a motivator for Martin and Jackson as prior to his acquisition, it was assumed both would be carried.

I'd love to see it play out mostly as you call out above, but with Martin getting the bulk of the work at SS, Escobar off the team and another OF on the roster, maybe Stewart as I think this is our best chance to look and see if he has any chance to be a spare part going forward since we have a plethora of outfield talent that is likely to break in over the next year and a half.

50 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I would hate to see a starting outfield made up of a good centerfielder who may be better in a platoon ( I don't know but some on here say so), a fourth outfielder and a utility player.  Doing that in order to run a platoon at third and have a declining SS?  Doesn't make sense.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pheasants said:

I would hate to see a starting outfield made up of a good centerfielder who may be better in a platoon ( I don't know but some on here say so), a fourth outfielder and a utility player.  Doing that in order to run a platoon at third and have a declining SS?  Doesn't make sense.

Agree. I also don't think Mancini will be manning 1B on the regular, as much as we'd like that to happen. It's going to be Davis over there, no question.

I have been wondering the same thing. I have not seen Ruiz play defensively yet, but his swing looks great. Núñez seems to have regressed some defensively, but his exit velocity was impressive in 2018. Still a long month of Spring Training remains, and I look forward to seeing these guys in March. (We have tix to 3 games and are staying at a resort on Lido.) 

I do not see both making the team. There just does not seem to be room. 

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Replace Jackson with Hays, Santander, or an Adam Jones signing. But there’s no way Jackson would be given the bulk of time in the OF unless his bat was forcing the issue.

It will be interesting to see if Ruiz has a chance to make the team.  I am skeptical that he does.  I expect Ruiz to start the season in the minors, but I expect him up soon.  As I mentioned when we acquired him, I think getting Ruiz was an underappreciated move at the time.  It would not surprise me very much if Ruiz put together some league average or better production at 3B in the next few years.