Manny: O's didn't show me any love

TonySoprano

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The whole point of doing good deeds and giving back to community that YOU DON'T expect anything return. That's charity 101. The more Manny opens his mouth the more he seems like a big 'ol douche. 

I prefer the Eddie Murray approach do your good deeds without the need to broadcast it to the world.  

16 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

NO, NO, NO! Donaldson was in the dugout. 

Can we stop with the fake claim that Manny was flipping his bat at Josh Donaldson because of a grudge. The lefthander Abad had just uncorked two straight fastballs directly at Manny's knees, a righthanded batter,. The pitches were clearly intentional attempts to hit the batter. Manny flipped the bat at Abad. Thing is, it is hard to flip bats accurately especially when it was at afterthought and he did not look to aim.

Alberto Callaspo was playing third base at the time.

Good post.

19 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

NO, NO, NO! Donaldson was in the dugout. 

Can we stop with the fake claim that Manny was flipping his bat at Josh Donaldson because of a grudge. The lefthander Abad had just uncorked two straight fastballs directly at Manny's knees, a righthanded batter,. The pitches were clearly intentional attempts to hit the batter. Manny flipped the bat at Abad. Thing is, it is hard to flip bats accurately especially when it was at afterthought and he did not look to aim.

Alberto Callaspo was playing third base at the time.

Interesting. Thank you for this nugget. Did not know this. 

Manny was great for the Os. He was what Wieters should have been -- high draft pick, groomed in our system, a true star. 

I knew the minute we signed Davis that Davis got Manny's money and we weren't going to get an extension for Manny and that Manny was gone. There was no other course that made sense. The O's decided that Davis was crucial to contending and they didn't want to let Davis walk. What a huge mistake. I blame Buck and Angelos.

So, I don't blame Manny for have a little bit of our sour taste. But just a little. He shouldn't throw us under the bus. Keep your mouth shut. This serves no purpose. It made zero sense for the Orioles or try to sign him. He should just say I enjoyed my time there, lots of good memories, excited to make some more good memories here in SD. 

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You can be sure that people here will harp on anything he does that could possibly be interpreted in a negative light.   

1. Hitting catchers in the helmet with his backswing

2. Throwing the bat

3. Baserunning tantrum with Donaldson

4. Fighting Ventura

5. Pedroia slide

6. Kicking Aguilar in the heel

7. Sliding with spikes up in the playoffs

8. "Johnny Hustle"

9. Grabbing his crotch toward fans

10. Not running out balls in the World Series

11. Clipping Pearce at 1B in the World Series

12. He has the same haircut as Bowser

I think Manny's reputation is pretty consistent across the entire league because it is deserved - especially during a time when baseball doesn't really have any "true" villains. He's not really going to get the benefit of the doubt from anyone at this point.

4 hours ago, Aglets said:

May surprise a few people here by saying I think Manny kind of has a point here.

It was reported many times over that after like..........2014 or 2015 the Orioles never really contacted him or his agent.............EVER regarding an extension.

So if I'm clearly the best player on a team....... and the team doesn't make even a HALF-hearted attempt to extend me in my last 3 or 4 years there..........what am I supposed to think?   Clearly they don't really want me around long term.

And on the other side.........yeah the Orioles have a decent reason to not want to offer him a megadeal at this point.......but I think a lot of us wish we had done more to lock him up when it could have been done for far less.

And don’t think for one second that the fact that “King Strikeout” got his money from the O’s, but they couldn’t even make the effort to extend him?

Remember, these guys are human. What if your co-worker who’s way worse than you are, got a huge raise and you didn’t? 

1 hour ago, survivedc said:

I for one will be delivering complete silence when the Padres come to town. He isn’t worth cheering or booing. Giving a diva the silent treatment is right.

This is the right take. No reaction from the fans when Manny comes up to bat would irk him the most.  He wants to get a reaction on his return to Baltimore don’t give him the satisfaction.

2 hours ago, theocean said:

1. Hitting catchers in the helmet with his backswing

2. Throwing the bat

3. Baserunning tantrum with Donaldson

4. Fighting Ventura

5. Pedroia slide

6. Kicking Aguilar in the heel

7. Sliding with spikes up in the playoffs

8. "Johnny Hustle"

9. Grabbing his crotch toward fans

10. Not running out balls in the World Series

11. Clipping Pearce at 1B in the World Series

12. He has the same haircut as Bowser

I think Manny's reputation is pretty consistent across the entire league because it is deserved - especially during a time when baseball doesn't really have any "true" villains. He's not really going to get the benefit of the doubt from anyone at this point.

Agreed here. I don't have any ill tidings toward Machado, but I can understand the fans - throughout the league - that do. He's built this house himself.

I don't get the point of this and I really don't get what he's trying to say.  First off, if this is the way you feel, say it behind closed doors. Making it public, only sours  you in the eyes of your former fans.  Second, it just really doesn't make any sense.  The Orioles accommodated him by letting play SS in his walk year, then traded him to a WS contender.  Am I mis-remembering, was he hunting down the O's management about an extension? Did he express any desire to extend his contract or resign in Baltimore?  I've always defended Manny about a lot, but this is just silly.

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I split this from the Manny signs with Padres thread. 

Sounds like a guy who didn't want to sign withe Padres. He clearly doesn't live in reality if he doesn't understand why the Orioles traded him or tried to resign him.

I'm still trying to figure out why he went to San Diego, other than the money.  Isn't that where hitters go to die?

3 hours ago, esmd said:

This is the first time I've seen anyone allude to any dollar amounts, so it's hard to know if those numbers are really what was being discussed.  I know at one point I saw a quote from Manny where he compared himself to Mike Trout, and Trout's extension deal was for 6 years and $144.5 million.  We can debate which it is or isn't, or what should or shouldn't have been done until the cows come home.  None of us really know.

If he thought that, then that's even sillier.  I've always been a Machado fan, but he's not in Trout's league.  Trout's had  five 9+ WAR seasons (three of which were 10+).  Machado has never even come close to that.

Archived