Gio Gonzalez

RVAOsFan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t know that he would go very far in making us competitive.  I look at it as an opportunity to sign a guy cheap that could bring us back prospects in a trade at the deadline.  If he can’t be flipped for prospects then at least it wasn’t a big investment.

I like lefties. The O's need a lefty. Gio could absolutely have a bounce-back year. 

I'll say it again. I'm not sure the O's want to win ball games this year. If you are going to be bad, I think you want to be really bad. 

4 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

I like lefties. The O's need a lefty. Gio could absolutely have a bounce-back year. 

I'll say it again. I'm not sure the O's want to win ball games this year. If you are going to be bad, I think you want to be really bad. 

I agree, if we aren’t going to compete then let’s get a top draft pick.  I don’t think adding a guy like Gio makes much difference. Especially if the plan is to trade all of the valuable players at the deadline anyway.

Gio's peripherals are pretty bad.  He usually gives up a lot of baserunners - particularly in a weak NL East.  K rate has been declining.  It would be interesting to see if our FO believes something is there, but on the surface I expect our FO would avoid a pitcher with these credentials.

45 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

exactly. that is their plan. 

There is already a 2014 Royal on the team. Now you want me to accept a Gnat?  In all seriousness, guys like Hess, Rogers, and Ramirez are MLB ready. We need to find out what they can do at this level before we have to start adding guys to the 40 man this offseason. 

So Gio, or any SP FA, might not be blocking a particular player, but it’s taking innings that we could be using to evaluate what we have. Plus do we really need to see Gio toss up a 5 ERA in the AL East just to have some glimmer of hope of trading him for a fringe prospect?

27.  Gio Gonzalez – Athletics.  Two years, $24MM.  Gonzalez, a 33-year-old lefty, can offer stability to the back end of a team’s rotation.  He’s averaged 32 starts per year over the past four seasons, mostly with the Nationals.  Gonzalez has always had issues with control, but with the right defense and a bit of good fortune he’s capable of a sub-4.00 ERA.  While his fastball velocity has fallen off sharply, landing at just over 90 miles per hour over the past two seasons, Gonzalez still gets as many swings and misses as ever. Teams like the A’s, Angels, Reds, Braves, and Giants could be in the mix for a player with this type of stability.

MLB Trade Rumors

Brewers acquire Gio Gonzalez

Philosophically I agree with the buy low, sell high plan, but a little research makes me skeptical. Sure, Gio could return to 2017 form and bring in a decent haul. He could also be the same pitcher he was last year and bring back another pair of unimpressive prospects. It would totally depend on the price. MLBTR had him pegged for 2 years/$24M. That's not happening. I also don't see him landing here. 

25 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

MLB Trade Rumors

Brewers acquire Gio Gonzalez

Philosophically I agree with the buy low, sell high plan, but a little research makes me skeptical. Sure, Gio could return to 2017 form and bring in a decent haul. He could also be the same pitcher he was last year and bring back another pair of unimpressive prospects. It would totally depend on the price. MLBTR had him pegged for 2 years/$24M. That's not happening. I also don't see him landing here. 

Great UserName, lol....well played.

On the topic of Gonzalez, eh....sign him, don't sign him.  I'm shrugging my shoulders either way.  Assuming it's on a cheap deal.  They'll need someone to pitch, especially is Karns isn't healthy and they want to move Cobb, Bundy, Casher, or some combination.  Or Gonzalez himself, if they sign him and he pitches well enough to garner interest.

• 3 weeks later...

Gio signed a minor league deal with the Yankees.  I know that the Orioles will not be a contender this year but would it have killed them to sign someone like Gio to a minimal contract? Eat some innings, be a potential trade candidate, KNOCK MIKE WRIGHT OUT OF THE DISCUSSION FOR A ROTATION SPOT.

Archived