Elias: I am very accustomed to having a top 10, top 5 farm system

wildcard

, and we want to be that.”

If the O's hold Diaz, Hays, Mountcastle, Kremer, Harvey and McKenna in the minors all season.   And DL Hall and Grayson Rodriguez have good seasons.  And they draft Adley Rutschman.  And they trade Cobb, Givens, Villar, Trumbo, Cashner, Bleier at the trade deadline.  How close will they be to a top 10 farm system this off season?

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2019/03/01/mike-elias-first-spring-training-orioles-gm/

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know, but atomic isn't allowed to enjoy any of it.

But I agree with @waroriole, if Diaz, Hays and maybe even Mountcastle are ready to play this year...play em.  That's what this year and next year are are all about, getting these kids experience.  

It's NOT about holding down players just to say we've got a stacked farm system.  

@wildcard did you read this part?

Q: Many fans that I hear from read the book, “Astroball,” and they’ve come to the conclusion that this is going to be a carbon copy of what was accomplished in Houston? Is that your thinking?

A: “Look, that was seven years ago now. A lot has changed around the game. This is a different division. We have different assets in terms of players in the organization than the Astros did, so, obviously, a carbon copy, it’s not possible. But, that said, in terms of what we need to do to get back to the playoffs, I don’t see a lot of options. We need to get more talent in this organization. This organization needs to be more talented. That includes the major league level, but also all the way through the minor league chain. As I said, there’s a lot that is going to go into that. It’s going to be a lot of additions via the draft and the international market. Trades are probably going to occur, and we’re going to do our best  to improve through coaching the players that we have in our system and on our major league team. We want to have a pipeline of talent that is going to sustain a window of competitiveness in the American League East that’s going to last more than one year. We want to give ourselves multiple shots at making the playoffs in a tough division, and this is the only way to go about doing it. There’s no other choice.”

54 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If the O's hold Diaz, Hays, Mountcastle, Kremer, Harvey and McKenna in the minors all season.   And DL Hall and Grayson Rodriguez have good seasons.  And they draft Adley Rutschman.  And they trade Cobb, Givens, Villar, Trumbo, Cashner, Bleier at the trade deadline.  How close will they be to a top 10 farm system this off season?

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2019/03/01/mike-elias-first-spring-training-orioles-gm/

You are definitely my favorite poster. Thanks for your threads and analysis Sir. Great as always.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

If the O's hold guys back that deserve promotion simply to pad the farm rankings I will be very upset.

47 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Q: Many fans that I hear from read the book, “Astroball,” and they’ve come to the conclusion that this is going to be a carbon copy of what was accomplished in Houston? Is that your thinking?

A: “Look, that was seven years ago now. A lot has changed around the game. This is a different division. We have different assets in terms of players in the organization than the Astros did, so, obviously, a carbon copy, it’s not possible. But, that said, in terms of what we need to do to get back to the playoffs, I don’t see a lot of options. We need to get more talent in this organization. This organization needs to be more talented. That includes the major league level, but also all the way through the minor league chain. As I said, there’s a lot that is going to go into that. It’s going to be a lot of additions via the draft and the international market. Trades are probably going to occur, and we’re going to do our best  to improve through coaching the players that we have in our system and on our major league team. We want to have a pipeline of talent that is going to sustain a window of competitiveness in the American League East that’s going to last more than one year. We want to give ourselves multiple shots at making the playoffs in a tough division, and this is the only way to go about doing it. There’s no other choice.”

Changed bold text. 

This seems to be the new "nuggets" for the Elias Regime. We have any graphic designers or artists on OH who can come up with a visualization of a "talent pipeline"? [Comedy]

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If the O's hold guys back that deserve promotion simply to pad the farm rankings I will be very upset.

I can't really see that being an idea that is taken seriously by someone as intelligent and accomplished as Elias.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Lot of factors go into this. Players graduating from other teams' systems. Star prospects getting hurt or failing. Unheralded prospects breaking out. Impossible to say.

52 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yes, I read it.  Its not the first time he has said it.   He says he is going to try to improve on what the Astros did.  So, if he is trying to improve it can't be a carbon copy.

Just now, wildcard said:

Yes, I read it.  Its not the first time he has said it.   He says he is going to try to improve on what the Astros did.  So, if he is trying to improve it can't be a carbon copy.

Because carbon copies are the worst.  Smudges all over the place.

Archived