Elias: I am very accustomed to having a top 10, top 5 farm system

wildcard

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd rather just extend them early and have financial certainty.

That’s fine too, but having the extra year of control gives the team more leverage in that discussion.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s fine too, but having the extra year of control gives the team more leverage in that discussion.

I think it is very much not worth it in most cases.

In the present I would very much be looking toward extending guys that I view as long term pieces since I find it highly unlikely that they will still be under team control in 6-7 years.

36 minutes ago, Spl51 said:

Diaz and Hays would be the only ones I would say it would be worth worrying about holding them down for  the 3 weeks or whatever even if we thought they were ready right now. Basically anyone in our top 5 prospects. Guys like Stewart, Mullins, or whoever below that I don't think it's worth worrying about, but for top 5 guys it's not really that big of a deal to hold them down for 3 weeks.

That is true but the O's are not going to know if Diaz is major league ready in 3 weeks.  In ST he is facing a lot of minor league pitchers and major league pitchers that are working on their stuff.   It will take time during the regular season to know how Diaz will do against major league pitching.   Probably a lot more than 3 weeks.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That is true but the O's are not going to know if Diaz is major league ready in 3 weeks.  In ST he is facing a lot of minor league pitchers and major league pitchers that are working on their stuff.   It will take time during the regular season to know how Diaz will do against major league pitching.   Probably a lot more than 3 weeks.

If he isn't you send him back down.

All it costs is a 40 man slot.

Are you worried about who they might lose?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he isn't you send him back down.

All it costs is a 40 man slot.

Are you worried about who they might lose?

I think it would be foolish to start Diaz's clock when he's barely played above A-ball. Let Diaz and Hays go back to AAA. If they are kicking the door down in June, then they can address it then. I'm fine with a Mancini, Mullins, Stewart OF with Rickard as the 4th outfielder.

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think it would be foolish to start Diaz's clock when he's barely played above A-ball. Let Diaz and Hays go back to AAA. If they are kicking the door down in June, then they can address it then. I'm fine with a Mancini, Mullins, Stewart OF with Rickard as the 4th outfielder.

He's played 128 games at AA and in the AFL. 

Archived