Donnie Hart DFA!

Legend_Of_Joey

13 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He is more desirable than Donnie Hart. That is all. I read nothing into this.

I understand that, but I disagree with that. Everybody in camp does exactly what Alberto does. He offers nothing extra, so far as he has shown anyway. I don’t mind getting rid of Hart,  although competent left-handed pitching is less common than competent infield defense. And I don’t think that Hart Has no value to the team.. Mike obviously disagrees with me, so I guess that’s where we are.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Ripken said:

We will not be satisfied until we have 32 middle infielders on the 40-man.

More versatility than 32 1B/DH types, so progress...

I also don't get the !  While a few guys are lower on the list, it's not like Alberto is a rock star.  Maybe they just think he is likely to go unclaimed and keep him and figure it's worth a shot.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

What the heck is going on with this guy?    We DFA’d him a week ago and kept Hart.    Now we DFA Hart and claim him back.

Feb. 19 - we claim Osich from Giants

Feb. 22 - Giants claim Alberto from us

March 1 - We claim Alberto from Giants.      Hart DFA.

Weird.  By the way, Hart made one appearance this spring, retiring the side in order and striking out two.   That convinced the O’s to change their mind about whether it was better to keep Alberto than Hart?

Apparently they feel that Ostich > Hanser, but Hanser > Hart. Lol, or something.

I think everyone is reading too much into it. It's a guy they sorta like to compete for the spot. Probably think if they claim him enough times he'll slip through, which is probably true. And probably true of Hart, as well. 

I like the hyper-waiver activity. Might as well. 

2 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I think all the transactions are just trying to find out if they’ll make it through waivers.

Alex Anthopoulos used to do this when he ran the Jays. It's a perfectly viable way to get some dudes into your system. Especially when you get first pick in the AL every time (correct me if wrong). 

IMO, it has absolutely nothing to do with Martin and Jackson. Nothing. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

What the heck is going on with this guy?    We DFA’d him a week ago and kept Hart.    Now we DFA Hart and claim him back.

Feb. 19 - we claim Osich from Giants

Feb. 22 - Giants claim Alberto from us

March 1 - We claim Alberto from Giants.      Hart DFA.

Weird.  By the way, Hart made one appearance this spring, retiring the side in order and striking out two.   That convinced the O’s to change their mind about whether it was better to keep Alberto than Hart?

Playing the DFA game. There’s been some FAs sign. There are still a ton out there. The more teams sign guys, the less room they have on their 40 man. Making moves like this just deepens the roster 35-45. 

15 minutes ago, interloper said:

Alex Anthopoulos used to do this when he ran the Jays. It's a perfectly viable way to get some dudes into your system. Especially when you get first pick in the AL every time (correct me if wrong). 

IMO, it has absolutely nothing to do with Martin and Jackson. Nothing. 

Use what you have,  and he should. It would be nice to see some guys claimed with actual upside though:) ha ha

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

He is more desirable than Donnie Hart. That is all. I read nothing into this.

27 minutes ago, SteveA said:

But he wasn't a week ago when we claimed Osich and let him go instead of Hart.

That was my point.   What happened in the last week that changed their mind?     Hart pitched once and had a very good outing, but now they prefer Alberto, whereas before they didn’t?

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That was my point.   What happened in the last week that changed their mind?     Hart pitched once and had a very good outing, but now they prefer Alberto, whereas before they didn’t?

Donnie Hart's spin rate must have graded out poorly. /got nothing

Maybe the plan was to DFA Hart all along and hope he slipped through waivers. After his solid outing, and supposing he has more outings like that, then the chances of him being claimed would go up. So DFA'ing him now gives the O's a better chance of keeping him. Most teams probably are still evaluating their own loogys now anyway Then again, maybe I'm just overthinking this.

54 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think it's just a matter of first trying to get Alberto thru waivers.  When that didn't work, and they then had a shot to get him back, they did, hoping now that Hart will slide thru waivers so they can outright him.  I don't think these types of machinations are really all that unusual.

Archived