TT: Early Spring Training Observations

Tony-OH

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Players do not get paid while suspended.

And 50 games for the second violation hardly seems to be enough. Of course, I may have a built-in bias at this point.

Although, considering what he earns I’m sure 50 games is a considerable amount.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

What is there to arbitrate? 

MLB and the PA agreed to the terms.

Every player to date, including Davis, has forfeited the money.

I guess you're right there. I was thinking MLB's game rules can't override a legal contract. But the MLBPA did agree to it.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

His defense wasn't awful last year.

He was below average.

Not even close to the same thing.

It isn't just Gold Glove/Above average/Awful.

Not sure if you are referring to Sisco or Nunez here.

But Nunez's issue appears to be entirely his throwing.   His glove isn't too bad, but his throws are just all over the place.

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

But Nunez's issue appears to be entirely his throwing.   His glove isn't too bad, but his throws are just all over the place.

Sisco but folks seem to have the issue with a lot of players.

Just because someone is below average on defense doesn't mean they can't have value.

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

He meant Sisco. We were discussing how bad his defense was. I said “awful,” he said “below average”

Meh...neither is terribly appealing. I want Wynns to start, because his Defense is better.

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

We've seen good spring training Wright before. Unless there something in the stuff that indicates he's doing something different, I'm not believing.

He at least seems to have a better attitude.  I remember when he got shelled for like 7 runs in an inning, and got indignant in the post game interview, saying he pitched well.  I heard him the other day, and he critiqued what he did wrong.

I would put Hays in the same boat as Mullins. Both have already made their debuts and have some service time. If Hays beats Mullins out, then I don’t think that is terrible for Mullins. As of now I think the most likely situation for OD is a Mullins/Jackson platoon in CF. 

I’m just not going to get worried if we see guys like Mullins, Hays, Sisco, Diaz, Mountcastle, etc..., come up and have to go back down to work on things. We’re rebuilding. 

Archived