TT: Early Spring Training Observations

Tony-OH

7 hours ago, Dr. Unk said:

He at least seems to have a better attitude.  I remember when he got shelled for like 7 runs in an inning, and got indignant in the post game interview, saying he pitched well.  I heard him the other day, and he critiqued what he did wrong.

To be honest, all pitchers (and their manager) pull that “I felt great” stuff in spring training.    It’s just more annoying when it comes from a guy who consistently hasn’t produced.    I’m pretty sure I got on Wright’s case about it when he did that.    

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To be honest, all pitchers (and their manager) pull that “I felt great” stuff in spring training.    It’s just more annoying when it comes from a guy who consistently hasn’t produced.    I’m pretty sure I got on Wright’s case about it when he did that.    

Wright has the early slight edge for a rotation spot. It seems like we have a lot of relievers as well. I wouldn’t be mad if he made 2-3 starts and then we saw how the starters in AAA were pitching. 

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think Yacabonis has shown the best stuff of the 5th starters so far.

I think he’s got a shot at fifth starter so long as we’re prepared to go with a guy who may never last more than 4-5 innings even on a good day.    

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think he’s got a shot at fifth starter so long as we’re prepared to go with a guy who may never last more than 4-5 innings even on a good day.    

But he has added a change up that is reportedly pretty good.  That may allow him to finish off batters sooner.

27 minutes ago, wildcard said:

But he has added a change up that is reportedly pretty good.  That may allow him to finish off batters sooner.

Hope so.   Command has always been a bit of an issue for him and that’s why I fear he’ll always be a guy who needs an early hook.  But we’ll see.   

13 hours ago, Dr. Unk said:

He at least seems to have a better attitude.  I remember when he got shelled for like 7 runs in an inning, and got indignant in the post game interview, saying he pitched well.  I heard him the other day, and he critiqued what he did wrong.

Maybe he's matured a bit. Still, I'd like to hear about something in his stuff being different. Haven't seen him this spring so I can't say for sure, but we have enough evidence to know that he's not consistent enough to be trusted. I liked him a bit in the long reliever role, but the Orioles have better, cheaper options there.

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I would put Hays in the same boat as Mullins. Both have already made their debuts and have some service time. If Hays beats Mullins out, then I don’t think that is terrible for Mullins. As of now I think the most likely situation for OD is a Mullins/Jackson platoon in CF. 

I’m just not going to get worried if we see guys like Mullins, Hays, Sisco, Diaz, Mountcastle, etc..., come up and have to go back down to work on things. We’re rebuilding. 

It's definitely a situation to keep a watch on. I still think the team would prefer Hays start the season in the minors, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that they go with Hays in CF and send Mullins back. Hays is the much better prospect/player overall.

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think Yacabonis has shown the best stuff of the 5th starters so far.

Honestly, from the innings I've seen from him this spring (two) he may have the best stuff of any of the starters. However, command, consistency, and the ability to maintain stuff to 100 pitches are three things we don't know yet.

I could see a situation where Yacabonis is optioned to Norfolk in order to have a better idea of those things, but I think it's certainly worth giving him a full season as  starter this year whether that be at Norfolk or Baltimore.

Not so early any more, but here are a few observations:

- The offense has a chance to be better than I expected.    I’m not sure who will be on the Opening Day roster, but I’m really high on both Hays and Diaz from what I’ve seen of them.    Sisco’s hitting.    Both Martin and Jackson look like they’ll stick.    Overall, a lot of good news on the position player front.   

- The pitching looks like it will be abysmal.    

- I like the energy and attitude and hope Hyde can carry that over into the regular season.    

- I didn’t mention Mountcastle in my first bullet because he’s clearly going to spend several months in the minors, but his bat looks to be as advertised.    Mammoth HR to dead center today.   He’s been on fire after a cold start.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

- The offense has a chance to be better than I expected.    I’m not sure who will be on the Opening Day roster, but I’m really high on both Hays and Diaz from what I’ve seen of them.    Sisco’s hitting.    Both Martin and Jackson look like they’ll stick.    Overall, a lot of good news on the position player front.   

- I like the energy and attitude and hope Hyde can carry that over into the regular season.    

- I didn’t mention Mountcastle in my first bullet because he’s clearly going to spend several months in the minors, but his bat looks to be as advertised.    Mammoth HR to dead center today.   He’s been on fire after a cold start.   

The offense will be intersting to watch come July once they bring everyone up.  We just have to get through the first half of the season with guys like Davis, Trumbo let go and Villar hopefully traded at the break.  We went from having no positional prospects a few years back to what looks like a nice little group.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

For what its worth I think the Os greatly underperformed compared to the talent on the team last year. Granted some players regressed, but end of the day that Orioles team had 0 fire. They played flat, unmotivated; granted Caleb Joseph was a contributor to that but he called it out more than once. Going to games was painful it was like watching robots low on battery power play. Buck lost the team and shouldnt have made it past the AS break in my opinion.

This year with less talent but with actual fire, team should be better record wise. 

Yep, starting to get visions of an exciting middle of the order--Hays, Diaz, Mountcastle--in the near future. 

And, call me stubborn, but I'm seeing Santander, somehow, in the sixth spot. Still think he'll be a beast.

Archived