Where I think the O's roster is right now

wildcard

This all could change but here is a snapshot as of today races

1B: Mancini has the lead over Davis with Nunez also able to play there.  Davis will see time at first but is looking like a bench player.

2B  Villar backed up by Jackson

SS: Martin backed up by Jackson

3B:  Ruiz platooned with Jackson

Catcher: Sisco backed up by one of  Perez, Wynns, Susac or Sucre

LF: Stewart.  Mancini plays here when not playing 1B.

CF: Hays is leading Mullins

RF: Rickard     

OF backups are Mancini and Jackson

DH:  Trumbo if healthy.  If not Nunez or Santander

That leaves one position player spot open for Nunez, Escobar, Mullins, Young or Santander

Starter:  Cobb, Bundy Cashner  with Hess, Wright, Rogers, Ramirez, Means and Yacabonis fighting for the 4th and 5th spots

Relievers:  Givens, Bleier, Castro, Fry, Kline, Araujo, and a long reliever from the starter competition.    Karns and Scott prime contenders to replace Araujo after 17 days.  Scotts control problems are why I put Kline ahead of him.

Just my take.   What do you see?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

This all could change but here is a snapshot as of today races

1B: Mancini has the lead over Davis with Nunez also able to play there.  Davis will see time at first but is looking like a bench player.

2B  Villar backed up by Jackson

SS: Martin backed up by Jackson

3B:  Ruiz platooned with Jackson

Catcher: Sisco backed up by one of  Perez, Wynn, Susac or Sucre

LF: Stewart.  Mancini plays here when not playing 1B.

CF: Hays is leading Mullins

RF: Rickard     

OF backups are Mancini and Jackson

DH:  Trumbo if healthy.  If not Nunez or Santander

That leaves one position player position open for Nunez, Escobar, Mullins or Santander

Starter:  Cobb, Bundy Cashner  with Hess, Wright, Rogers, Ramirez and Yacabonis fighting for th e 4th and 5th spots

Relievers:  Givens, Bleier, Castro, Fry. Kline. Araujo, and a long reliever from the starter competition.    Karns and Scott prime contenders to replace Araujo after 17 days.  Scotts control problems are why I put Kline ahead of him.

Just my take.   What do you see?

You think Karns is out of that race already?  Or did I miss something with him?

Edit:  I see Karns listed in your RP list, but still question if he is truly out of the 5th starter race, thought that was why we brought him.

Ruiz platooned with Jackson?  Do you mean Nunez?

Also, highly doubt Hays makes the team.  He still hasn't played in Triple A and struggled in Double A last year.  Elias has already come out and said he's not going to rush these guys. 

Everything else looks reasonable. 

Great write up. Couple questions:

1. How’s Hays defense in center? I was under the impression he profiles as more of a corner outfielder.

2. You seem real high on Jackson. I don’t know a ton about him. Why would he be better than Escobar, who’s been an everyday starting shortstop in the AL for years? 

3. What happens if Eric Young Jr. doesn’t make the 25-man. Would he go to Norfolk or would we lose him?

13 minutes ago, murph said:

You think Karns is out of that race already?  Or did I miss something with him?

Edit:  I see Karns listed in your RP list, but still question if he is truly out of the 5th starter race, thought that was why we brought him.

Roch Kubatko✔@masnRoch

Hyde indicated that it’s going to be harder for Karns to break camp as starter while #orioles unable to stretch him out. Could open 2nd rotation spot

11:38 AM - Mar 6, 2019

1 minute ago, TommyPickles said:

1. How’s Hays defense in center? I was under the impression he profiles as more of a corner outfielder.

2. You seem real high on Jackson. I don’t know a ton about him. Why would he be better than Escobar, who’s been an everyday starting shortstop in the AL for years? 

3. What happens if Eric Young Jr. doesn’t make the 25-man. Would he go to Norfolk or would we lose him?

1. He’s fine in CF, although he doesn’t have the range of an average MLB CF, that’s why he’s a better fit in RF. He’d be a defensive upgrade over Adam Jones’s last couple years.

2. Jackson is a guy with some above average tools, speed, power, huge arm strength. The question is the hit tool. Escobar has been one of the worst starting players in baseball over the past couple years. There is no upside there, it’s practically guaranteed below average production. Jackson there is some upside and if he’s good, he’s controllable.

3. He’d go to Norfolk probably, but there might be an opt out.

9 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Because of the versatility that Jace Peterson and Stevie Wilkerson bring defensively I think one of them makes the team over Rickard. 

Peterson and Wilkerson have almost no shot at making the team. 

Drew Jackson and Alicides Escobar can both play the OF as well as the IF so there is enough versatility without having to keep a 4A player like Peterson or Wilkerson.

Richard brings a lot of value to this team, offensively and defensively and can hit near to the top of the order.  I don't think his spot is in jeapardy at all. 

18 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

1. Hays defense in center is solid.  Probably not has much range as Mullins but more then Rickard in center.

2.  Jackson has looked good all over the field.  3B, SS, 2B, CF.   Great arm.  Very good range.  He is a Rule 5 guy the O's will not want to lose.   Escobar still could make the team as the 25 man.

3. I missed Young in the 25th man competition.   Thanks.  I will add him to the OP.

My guess is Escobar takes the spot you’ve listed for Jackson. Mullins stays at CF with it being a tossup between Hays, Santander, and Rickard for RF. DH would hopefully be Núñez assuming Trumbo isn’t healthy to the start the year and if not DH I think Núñez should be at 1B ahead of Davis. I think that’s unlikely unfortunately. I think Mancini says in the OF this year and possibly moves to DH/1B next year after Trumbo is gone which will also make room  for the influx of young OF options right around the corner.

25 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Because of the versatility that Jace Peterson and Stevie Wilkerson bring defensively I think one of them makes the team over Rickard. 

Im thinking Trumbo starts on the DL or extended ST and Rickard makes the team temporary, and then when Trumbo is ready, Hyde makes the decision then.

24 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Ruiz platooned with Jackson?  Do you mean Nunez?

Also, highly doubt Hays makes the team.  He still hasn't played in Triple A and struggled in Double A last year.  Elias has already come out and said he's not going to rush these guys. 

Everything else looks reasonable. 

Nunez defense makes him questionable for making the team.  I have him competing for the 25th man.  If he makes it he could play 3B/1B/DH.  Nunez is also in competition for the DH if Trumbo goes on the DL.

At the beginning of ST I agreed that Hays should go to the minors.  But Mullins has shown no offense while Hays has both hit and fielded well in center.  So its as much about Mullins not hitting as anything.  If he hits in the 2nd half of ST Mullins could take back center and send Hays to the minors.

26 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Rickard is playing good both at the bat and glove.   I think he goes north with the team.  Peterson is not on the 40 man roster and has a tough way to go to make the team.  Wilkerson has not hit this spring.   Tony has him as a DFA candidate if the O's need roster space.

Archived