Would it be better for us if Orioles sold rights and closed MASN

atomic

Right now I can watch the Capitals/Wizards on Sling-TV with a basic package of channels ($25 a month).  I can stream wherever I want and I don't need to get cable installed.  For the Ravens they are on free TV.  So without being a cable subscriber there is no way for me to get MASN and watch the Orioles.   And likewise I can't watch the Nationals if I so desired.  I think it is time for the Orioles to sell MASN to Fox sports or NBC sports so we can enter the modern age of being able to stream the games and watch the games without being tied to a cable provider. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it better for the franchise to sell one of the most valuable parts of its portfolio, a reliable fire hydrant of a revenue stream that most teams are now taking in for a one-time payout so we can return to the days of relying on fluctuating ticket sales revenue and sponsorships while average payrolls across the league increase? 

Sure. Seems like a sound business strategy to me. 

You can get MLB.TV for just the Orioles ($92/year = $7.67/month) and a VPN service ($5/month).... Total cost would be $13/month. 

I am not 100% sure so don't quote me on this but I think for MASN each cable subscriber pays $5-6 for that service in your fees..... maybe even more

Now I have never done this but I heard it works.  I have a VPN service which I plan to try to use and see if I can get O's games through MLB.TV

3 minutes ago, Mayor McCheese said:

You can get MLB.TV for just the Orioles ($92/year = $7.67/month) and a VPN service ($5/month).... Total cost would be $13/month. 

I am not 100% sure so don't quote me on this but I think for MASN each cable subscriber pays $5-6 for that service in your fees..... maybe even more

Now I have never done this but I heard it works.  I have a VPN service which I plan to try to use and see if I can get O's games through MLB.TV

I was thinking about trying this but I heard there are issues with the live stream not loading and I can’t justify putting $100 into something that’s not going to work properly. If it works for you, let us know!

I emailed MASN about this about a week ago...they’re losing out on a lot of people being engaged in O’s games. It’s a shame a sport that is doing so well has priced people out of being able to watch. 

4 hours ago, atomic said:

Right now I can watch the Capitals/Wizards on Sling-TV with a basic package of channels ($25 a month).  I can stream wherever I want and I don't need to get cable installed.  For the Ravens they are on free TV.  So without being a cable subscriber there is no way for me to get MASN and watch the Orioles.   And likewise I can't watch the Nationals if I so desired.  I think it is time for the Orioles to sell MASN to Fox sports or NBC sports so we can enter the modern age of being able to stream the games and watch the games without being tied to a cable provider. 

You ask a question from the Oriole's perspective, but then give a rationale from the fan's perspective.

It's a fair question to ask. I don't see any evidence that the answer is yes, at this time, and assume that all such channels will eventually have to allow streaming to survive. Cable providers will adjust to allow and/or facilitate it.

[Unless you changed the thread title, I was wrong with my first statement here.]

6 minutes ago, oriole said:

I was thinking about trying this but I heard there are issues with the live stream not loading and I can’t justify putting $100 into something that’s not going to work properly. If it works for you, let us know!

I emailed MASN about this about a week ago...they’re losing out on a lot of people being engaged in O’s games. It’s a shame a sport that is doing so well has priced people out of being able to watch. 

I will keep you updated, I have been wanted to try this for a few years.  I purchased IPVanishVPN which was about $59 for the year.  Going to try this when they are the game of the week and see what happens. 

I currently use Cinema HD APK for all TV/Movies and have not had any issues with VPN or Streaming.

I think the OP's question is a good one. If you are going to grow your customer base... especially among children and young people in the mid-atlantic area, the game has got to be accessible. There are thousands of people cutting the cord everyday. The children of those people do not have access to the Orioles on a daily basis. 

I'm not sure what MASN's options are, but they must be looking into a stand alone streaming product. 

Are there such things as radio ratings? I wonder if more people (the cord cutters) are listening to the radio broadcasts? That's how I would make the game accessible to my kids if I still lived in the mid-atlantic. 

47 minutes ago, atomic said:

Curious, during the Caps games what kind of commercials do you get? Are they local? 

This says it is due to local ad revenue. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/04/05/cord-cutters-still-cant-watch-nats-or-orioles-games-they-arent-happy-about-it/

12 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I'm sure this exists, but I'd love to see a direct and concise list of the "5 steps people take to get off of cable." More people would do it if the process was easily followed. 

I’m trying to upgrade my internet. Where I live I have Verizon DSL and it is horrible. Streaming anything is impossible. Trying out something new soon.

I am trying to educate myself on this. I never really bothered because it was pointless with the internet I have. I want to take advantage of the free MLB.TV from my Orioles season tickets.  

Just now, Dark Helmet said:

Didn't the Padres sell their RNS to fox and is guaranteed like $90 million a year from it? 

I'm not sure about the Padres, but yeah - sometimes you hear about the annual payouts from those FOX deals and you have to wonder if MASN is bringing in more bacon than that.

51 minutes ago, Mayor McCheese said:

What is the legality of using a VPN to circumvent MASN and MLB's local blackout restrictions?

I think the MLB.TV terms and conditions say anyone accessing via a VPN to circumvent restrictions may not only forfeit their subscription, but also be subject to legal action.  That may be somewhat unlikely, but...

Archived