O's trade International Signing Bonus Slots to Blue Jays for OF Dwight Smith Jr

LTO's

Love the move. Instead of a “death by inches”, this is an “improvement by inches”. Osich was our 6th best LHP on the 40 man with no options. Means has been killing. 

Getting rid of Hart and Osich is just trimming the fat. 

I was concerned with reading Jays’ fans responses about his COF defense. I say he’s at least Rickard and allows us to keep Hays/Diaz in the minors. 

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

They do have another choice.

Technically yes. 

I'm only saying that the Orioles have no direction to go but up. As we rebuild, new talent needs a shot. 

Dwight joining the team isn't going to hurt us. I believe he may have some strong upside. 

We shall see. 

In the meantime, I'm watching this team every step of the way. 

MSK 

What’s in it for the Blue Jays? Part of the criticism of the Os is they missed on everyone worth spending on. Do these other teams see opportunities we don’t or are they willing to throw money at a handful of lottery tickets because they’d rather get something for a guy they were going to cut anyway?

2 hours ago, MemorialStadKid said:

I feel that Elias wouldn't randomly grab a guy unless HE sees something that a lot of others don't. 

I like what I'm seeing in Spring Training and I know we've got a long way to go, but these younger guys are playing with confidence and poise. They're not perfect, but there's some spark in there. 

Dwight Smith Jr could falter but he could also blossom into something special. 

Gotta take the chance with new talent now. We've no other choice. 

Let's hope for the best. 

MSK 

Plus Tony bashed him so I am a big fan suddenly:) 

2 hours ago, pdiddy said:

What’s in it for the Blue Jays? Part of the criticism of the Os is they missed on everyone worth spending on. Do these other teams see opportunities we don’t or are they willing to throw money at a handful of lottery tickets because they’d rather get something for a guy they were going to cut anyway?

Well, they cut him, soooooo...

Appears that he has good obp, is a LHB that doesn’t have extreme pull tendencies. At MLB level, it seems that he’s rarely had weak contact, but does have the tendency to hit a lot of grounders. Perhaps the Os brass thinks that he can turn into a doubles machine if he can elevate the ball a little more. 

I could see Santander-Mullins-Smith/Rickard as the OF for opening day, with Stewart-Hays-Diaz at Norfolk to start the year (Stewart could definitely start at the big club, imo). 

54 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Have the Orioles made a straight trade since Elias has been GM? I know they have traded international bonus money . Also rule 5 and waiver claims. Maybe I missed a player for player or players trade

Not surprising if the answer is no. 

Other than Villar, I’m not sure there’s any vets with significant value to other teams. Guys like Villar, Trumbo, Cobb and Cashner will have more value if they’re playing well at the deadline and likely playoff teams have identified needs.  We have no reason to trade prospects for vets and prospect for prospect trades are pretty rare. 

11 hours ago, AceKing said:

Well, they cut him, soooooo...

Right, but what they got in return is the right to spend money rather than say a low minors wildcard or whatever.

What do they think is out there worth spending it on?

I guess there’s value in having additional reserves handy in case you see someone but I keep reading that that guy doesn’t exist.

Archived