O's trade International Signing Bonus Slots to Blue Jays for OF Dwight Smith Jr

LTO's

1 hour ago, interloper said:

It's fantastic. He explains everything succinctly. He's educating folks about the international market, which is one of the least understood-by-fans things in baseball. I've learned more about it since he's been on board than I have following baseball my whole life. 

I'm not saying he can do no wrong, because baseball is full of doing wrong intentionally or not. And sometimes people are smarter and better than you. And sometimes ownership doesn't play nice. I'm just saying the narrative that he's pulling the wool over our eyes on the international market is, so far, completely unfounded

He says we aren't signing any of the big fish in 2019-2020 signing period either.  Expect more bonus pool money to be traded away next signing period. 

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, interloper said:

I think it's wild that you continue to think you're smarter at baseball than Mike Elias. 

Also, maybe you DO need 750k to round out your DSL roster when you're the stupid Orioles who have neglected that roster for years.

First off where do you get that I think I am smarter than the GM?  You must not be paying attention to what I have actually been saying.

Secondly, how much do you think it would cost to sign non-prospects in the DR?  Kids in the US sign routinely sign for 10K.  I think they would be lining up for a 5K payday.

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

First off where do you get that I think I am smarter than the GM? 

Well, I always thought you were.  Maybe not Elias, but definitely DD.  

Some of those non-prospect types turn out to be studs.  IIRC, Acuna was signed for like 35k or something small.  He wasn't a big name on the radar for scouts.

35 minutes ago, atomic said:

He says we aren't signing any of the big fish in 2019-2020 signing period either.  Expect more bonus pool money to be traded away next signing period. 

Really good article.  Explains a lot of details and strategies about the international market that I hadn't really heard expressed that way before.

I take it to mean that we will have a shot at the real big fish by 2020 and after.......but if you're being cynical I suppose you can interpret it differently.

On 3/8/2019 at 9:47 PM, Rene88 said:

Plus Tony bashed him so I am a big fan suddenly:) 

Although this really doesn't matter because you will try to find a way to bash my anyways you can, I never "bashed" Smith Jr. I said he's the same player as Yastrezemski. I still believe that.

Just setting the record straight on a hater....

Love the article.   Like others have said, I truly appreciate Elias' candor.   He knows we don't have the infrastructure ready to make a splash in the International market.   I'm just glad he's admitting it and not beating around the bush about it.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I found this statement by Meoli intriguing: “Instead, they traded more bonus pool money away in the summer in a deal with the Philadelphia Phillies that proved to be a part of a previous deal between the two clubs, causing plenty of consternation.”    This suggests the Zoellner deal was somehow related to a prior deal between the two clubs.     Looking back, could this mean the Alec Asher deal from March 2017?    That deal was for “a player to be named later or cash considerations.”   We never did send them a player.    

Yeah, i saw that as well. Could have been Asher or could have been something with Hellickson too.

45 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, i saw that as well. Could have been Asher or could have been something with Hellickson too.

Seems unlikely to be Hellickson because we already sent them slot money and players in that deal.   

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Seems unlikely to be Hellickson because we already sent them slot money and players in that deal.   

I still think it was kind of "sorry," for an Adam Jones deal the Orioles assured was 100% done until Jones said "no."

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, I always thought you were.  Maybe not Elias, but definitely DD.  

Some of those non-prospect types turn out to be studs.  IIRC, Acuna was signed for like 35k or something small.  He wasn't a big name on the radar for scouts.

There are non-prospect types and warm bodies to fill out a DSL roster.

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good Article. Worth a 5 min read. I like that he admitted that it’s going to be a process that isn’t going to be 100% by this July. 

Great point.  The O's front office looked very... very bad in first not using the international market and then acquiring tons of financial ability to use - and then not using... except to trade for guys like Zoellner.  At least it appears he's not letting the mistakes of the recent past affect what he's doing, and he appears to be realistic about what to expect.  

54 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Great point.  The O's front office looked very... very bad in first not using the international market and then acquiring tons of financial ability to use - and then not using... except to trade for guys like Zoellner.  At least it appears he's not letting the mistakes of the recent past affect what he's doing, and he appears to be realistic about what to expect.  

4 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

Love the article.   Like others have said, I truly appreciate Elias' candor.   He knows we don't have the infrastructure ready to make a splash in the International market.   I'm just glad he's admitting it and not beating around the bush about it.

Really just doing the same old same old.  Not doing anything Internationally and making excuses. 

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Although this really doesn't matter because you will try to find a way to bash my anyways you can, I never "bashed" Smith Jr. I said he's the same player as Yastrezemski. I still believe that.

Just setting the record straight on a hater....

I can’t really openly dispute you or you will ban me so what am I supposed to say? 

I have zero respect for your opinions outside of baseball. I do think your opinions are valuable and insightful when they are about baseball however and enjoy reading them. I appreciate your feedback on Smith, you probably are right because I know zero about him. I hope they go defense first on the roster bc I expect the pitching to be atrocious. Holding out hope Davis gets cut or sent to extended ST. 

Archived