What's Going On With Givens?

section18

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

True, but the same ones cried over spending tiny bit of money on Tilly to see if he was washed up.

Tillman wasn’t just bad in 2017, he was unspeakably awful — 7.84 ERA, 1.89 mm.   The risk on him was much higher than on Gonzalez when we cut Gonzo.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tillman wasn’t just bad in 2017, he was unspeakably awful — 7.84 ERA, 1.89 mm.   The risk on him was much higher than on Gonzalez when we cut Gonzo.

Yet, even Texas took a flyer out on him and tried to see they if they recover something.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think any other team was willing to give him a ML deal?

Should have given him a minor league deal and cut him in st.

At the time, I was willing to defer to the O’s judgment, since they’d had the benefit of watching Tillman throw all spring at their complex.    But it quickly became apparent that my deference to their judgment had been completely unwarranted.   Really a bad indictment that they guaranteed him $3 mm when it should have been obvious that Tillman had nothing left in the tank.  

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

At the time, I was willing to defer to the O’s judgment, since they’d had the benefit of watching Tillman throw all spring at their complex.    But it quickly became apparent that my deference to their judgment had been completely unwarranted.   Really a bad indictment that they guaranteed him $3 mm when it should have been obvious that Tillman had nothing left in the tank.  

Looked to me like it was a good soldier award.  The type of stuff I would expect from Buck but not Dan.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Looked to me like it was a good soldier award.  The type of stuff I would expect from Buck but not Dan.

Good soldier award?   We paid him $10 mm in 2017 to go 1-7 with a 7.84 ERA.    That’s all the good soldier award he should’ve gotten. And I loved the guy.   

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't put too much stock into ST numbers and performance, either.

That said, I am fearful that we should have traded Givens last year and his value will take a hit this year with substandard performance.  My gut tells me that Givens is a great reliever when he's surrounded by other great relievers and doesn't have to be the man.  Maybe I'm wrong about that, I'd like to be.  

Gausman + GIvens to the Braves for one of their young arms (Toussaint, Wright, Allard, Riley, Wilson or Gohara) seems like it's a trade that should have been made. It also seems like a very reasonable return/expectation for those two players. All six of those pitching prospects are projected to be in the Braves rotation this year, but when everyone's healthy there's no room for them. Such a missed opportunity...

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Good soldier award?   We paid him $10 mm in 2017 to go 1-7 with a 7.84 ERA.    That’s all the good soldier award he should’ve gotten. And I loved the guy.   

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not arguing.

He pitched late in 16, including the wildcard game after he was hurt. 

I think it is plausible. 

16 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think any other team was willing to give him a ML deal?

Should have given him a minor league deal and cut him in st.

Hindsight showed you are correct.

But, with all the other wrong crap going on, Im not going to pound this single mistake. The whole season was abysmal.

Archived