What's Going On With Givens?

section18

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The data just proved what I was about to write, wrong.

I thought he struggled at the end of last year. He did not. He was very good at the end of last year, after going through a tough stretch in the middle of the year. Hopefully this is just a spring training working out the kinks type of time for him. 

To Moose's point about being the man, I wonder if he'd make a good Opener against RH heavy clubs.  He made a lot of progress against lefties the last 2 years, but I still think of him somewhat as a platoon split guy.  We have a lot of early games with the very right handed Yankees, and I think four clean 1st innings against Judge/Stanton/Sanchez would probably do more to get his trade value trending the right way than whatever save opportunities crop up.  Just pitch him the first and last games of each 3 game series.

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Still, manager Brandon Hyde did his best to put the best possible spin on Tuesday night’s performance.

“His stuff looked really good,’’ Hyde said. “His [velocity] was up. I just thought he just missed in the middle of the plate a couple of times and they were really aggressive with him. It just didn’t seem like he was commanding. But I was happy with the fastball velo and it was coming out well. It just wasn’t his night.”

Hyde said it’s still too early to be concerned about Givens, who has been one of the Orioles steadiest relievers since coming up to the big leagues in 2015.

“I think we’re seeing his stuff tick up in every outing, so that’s a positive,” Hyde said. “I’m sure he’s disappointed in his command right now, but stuff-wise looked good.”

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-givens-struggles-again-in-loss-to-yankees-20190312-story.html

I was listening to a portion of the game on YES last night...the Yanks manager said that he was encouraged by his starter (6 runs after 2?). These guys had better change their scripts. When players play poorly, say it and be done with it. I know it's ST and some players just have a time table in their head to know when to turn it on. That's fine, maybe he's just playing the Yanks and wasn't going to show too much, no reason to.

How bad does he have to be to get optioned? I haven’t had a chance to watch any games but the results have been pretty awful. Even if it’s just for a month at the start of the season some time at Norfolk might do him some good.

8 hours ago, section18 said:

Givens. blew the game against NY last night. 1/3 of an inning and 3 runs, 3 hits with a walk,  HR. and 30 + ERA so far in ST.

As others have already stated, ST numbers matter little. But God that Hays kid is awesome isn’t he!?!?

55 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

I was listening to a portion of the game on YES last night...the Yanks manager said that he was encouraged by his starter (6 runs after 2?). These guys had better change their scripts. When players play poorly, say it and be done with it. I know it's ST and some players just have a time table in their head to know when to turn it on. That's fine, maybe he's just playing the Yanks and wasn't going to show too much, no reason to.

He had an agenda to look bad?

2 hours ago, milbest77 said:

What’s going on is the reason why we are rebuilding: the previous regime was too moronic and stubborn to trade him when he was performing well. 

A case can be made for him being traded last year at the deadline.

5 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I never put much stock in spring training performance, especially for pitchers. More often than not they're more concerned with working on / honing certain pitches each outing than actually getting people out. Now if it carries over into the first few weeks of the season then it might be time to sound the alarm.

There exceptions like Tillman. Everyone knew he was washed up, but the Orioles had to give him one more chance.

Archived