What of Bundy?

scOtt

I wonder if he truly is pulling a Tillman. In that, I remember Tillman decreased his velocity for the sake of control early on in his career. Was throwing 89-91 and getting shelled. Got sent back down to the minors. Perhaps Bundy decided that maybe he can go deeper into games and deeper into the season if he can learn how to pitch this way. He ran out of gas last year after showing adequate velocity first half of the season.

What fixed Tillman was regaining his velocity after going back down, and he made a real impact at end of 2012. Fortunately for Tillman, he hadn't had the injuries Bundy has had. Just control problems. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Bubble Buddy said:

I wonder if he truly is pulling a Tillman. In that, I remember Tillman decreased his velocity for the sake of control early on in his career. Was throwing 89-91 and getting shelled. Got sent back down to the minors. Perhaps Bundy decided that maybe he can go deeper into games and deeper into the season if he can learn how to pitch this way. He ran out of gas last year after showing adequate velocity first half of the season.

What fixed Tillman was regaining his velocity after going back down, and he made a real impact at end of 2012. Fortunately for Tillman, he hadn't had the injuries Bundy has had. Just control problems. 

I believe Tillman credited Brady and his off-season conditioning for his improvements.

49 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I believe Tillman credited Brady and his off-season conditioning for his improvements.

I also feel like I remember Rick Peterson working on his mechanics. Because when he came up later that year, he was mid 90's and it was awesome. 

5 minutes ago, Bubble Buddy said:

I also feel like I remember Rick Peterson working on his mechanics. Because when he came up later that year, he was mid 90's and it was awesome. 

I read an old article in SI.COM that the Orioles did him a dis-service by rushing him to the majors, before he was ready.

I saw another article online that said Wallace and Chiti combination was really good for Tillman.

2 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

No home runs! No home runs! JD Martinez and Mookie Betts weren't in the lineup, but still, No home runs! No home runs! 

He was going against the worst team record wise in the Grapefruit League. He did get thru 5 1/3 and hope it plays out.Long season and was decent for a few starts 

2 hours ago, turtlebowl said:

I actually thought he got a little lucky. Some fly balls Boston hit were just missed.  

My biggest take still was fastball command was marginal at best. I saw on several occasions where the catcher was sittting on the inside corner and he yanked the fastball a foot outside. I just wonder if he has no trust in throwing a fastball. Has to be tough knowing at 1 point he could throw it by people and now he has a below average major league fastball. 

He hung a slider to Nunez at one point that was the fattest slider I've seen all spring.

JD Martinez would have hit that one into the Myakka River.

23 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I read an old article in SI.COM that the Orioles did him a dis-service by rushing him to the majors, before he was ready.

I saw another article online that said Wallace and Chiti combination was really good for Tillman.

He pitched what, three innings?  I don't think that is the problem.

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He pitched what, three innings?  I don't think that is the problem.

Sorry wasnt SI

BR has 33 games in 3 years before 2012 and when he finally came together as a pitcher in July of that season.

Looking back, Tillman came up too early (as did Brian Matusz among others). While the O’s had noble intentions by bringing Tillman up when they did, they also did him a disservice in that fans expected a big league-ready pitcher each time he went to the mound. Instead what they got was a work in progress.

https://birdswatcher.com/2012/11/28/what-should-the-orioles-do-with-tillman/

Archived