What of Bundy?

scOtt

Reading the Mike Wright thread Wildcard mentioned the push these last two weeks. All the doubts about Bundy apply equally, if not more. Dylan has flat out been terrible so far. 3 games, 6.2 innings, 13.50 ERA, 2.40 WHIP, .469 BAA, 6.75% K/9 (if I calculated that right...)

SSS in ST but last year was just as bad. Some highlights (lowlights) 5.45 ERA, 1.42 WHIP, .855 OPSA. He did have 184 Ks, 9.65 K/9.

Has he fallen off a cliff like Tillman did? Just a lull in his career? He's still young-ish at 26. You KNOW he's in incredible shape. I'm not sure about what injuries might be lingering. What do you all think?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Velocity dip, straight as an arrow fastball. 

He had a decent first half (4.35 ERA, 1.306 WHIP, 1.7 HR/9), but completely fell apart at the seams in the 2nd half: 7.11 ERA, 1.566 WHIP, 2.8 HR/9).

That HR/9 is incredibly worrisome. He was averaging between 1.4-1.5 in prior seasons. To see it balloon so much coupled with the drop in velocity makes me think there's another injury.

6 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Velocity dip, straight as an arrow fastball. 

He had a decent first half (4.35 ERA, 1.306 WHIP, 1.7 HR/9), but completely fell apart at the seams in the 2nd half: 7.11 ERA, 1.566 WHIP, 2.8 HR/9).

That HR/9 is incredibly worrisome. He was averaging between 1.4-1.5 in prior seasons. To see it balloon so much coupled with the drop in velocity makes me think there's another injury.

I did notice, his GO/AO was 0.68 last year, 0.50 this spring. His GO/AO has always been low tho, and he's pitched well before despite it. Just have to focus on pitching down? Maybe he doesn't have the high spin rate to pitch up, high heat.

1 minute ago, scOtt said:

I did notice, his GO/AO was 0.68 last year, 0.50 this spring. His GO/AO has always been low tho, and he's pitched well before despite it. Just have to focus on pitching down? Maybe he doesn't have the high spin rate to pitch up, high heat.

Ive posted before. Fangraphs admits Bundy was ready bad last season, but there is hope for 2019.

Profile: Dylan Bundy's 2018 was bad. Really, really, bad. But it doesn't always have to be. In each of Bundy's four pitches, there is a glimmer of hope that better - if not great - days can be ahead. Bundy's four-seamer has fluctuated in velocity even during the season, though when it consistently sits above 92mph, good days are plenty, allowing for his mistake pitches to stay in the yard. Meanwhile, his curveball used to be a solid strike-getter but was hung often and crushed for a .419 BAA last season. Bundy's changeup was all kinds of elite in 2016 (near 50% O-Swing and zone rates!), but his feel for the slow ball has faded dramatically. And of course, his still exhibits an excellent slide piece that induced swings-and-misses at an elite 26% rate. It's not a safe bet that Bundy will put everything together in his fourth full season, though don't rule out the chance that Bundy can make the right tweaks to put together a strong campaign. (Nick Pollack)

The Quick Opinion: It was a terrible season. It won't get worse and there's still an outside chance Bundy puts it together as his repertoire speaks to better days ahead. Keep a watchful eye.

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Bundy gets the backups and minor leaguers today.Most of the regular Twins lineup is playing in their home game He should do better today .

Lord help the Hangout, if he runs into problems facing that lineup, this place will go nuts. :) :) :)

Bundy

7 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Bundy gets the backups and minor leaguers today.Most of the regular Twins lineup is playing in their home game He should do better today .

He still needs to pitch well today. At least well enough to get 4+ ups. He'll only have two more spring starts after today. Needs to start pitching.

4 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Bundy

He still needs to pitch well today. At least well enough to get 4+ ups. He'll only have two more spring starts after today. Needs to start pitching.

Hyde said the same thing this morning in more depth.

“Now is the time where he's got to start executing pitches and got to start feeling good coming off the mound. It’s not important that he has a shutdown-type of start, but I want him to have a productive start for him and feel good about the shape of his pitches and that he gets his pitch count up.”

Bundy is going to get tattooed in the regular season if he shows up with this kind of stuff.  No doubt about it. 

Unless that fastball magically adds 2-4 MPH like it did last April, we are in for a repeat of 18 or worse. 

Archived