Embarrassing day for the O's

wildcard

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, connja said:

what's up with Bundy's velocity?  He was mid-upper 90's pre surgery.  now low 90's.  

Post-surgery in 2016 Bundy was sitting in the mid-90's and still touching 97.  His fastball has decreased in velocity several MPH every season since.  

47 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It's interesting that the Orioles played Mullins in left and Hays in center. I think the Orioles are realizing that Mullins' arm is going to be an issue in CF. Heck it's going to be an issue in LF, but will be less so. that throw today was awful, like Johnny Damon at the end of his career awful. I'm hoping that slipped out of his hand a bit. 

I'm liking Reinheimer more and more. He keeps hitting, having good PAs, and plays a solid defensive SS. I'd definitely keep him over Escobar. I'd keep all three of Martin, Jackson and Reinheimer since Jackson can platoon with Mullins as well. 

It was bad. There was a televised game last weekend I think where he made a decent throw from center to third.  I think it's important that he has some momentum and is charging the ball anytime there is a possibility he will need to make a throw.  Otherwise, he has no shot of making a competitive throw.  

I kind of prefer him left and Hays in center, but I'm not sure at what point his improved range over Hays makes up for the weak arm. 

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

It's interesting that the Orioles played Mullins in left and Hays in center. I think the Orioles are realizing that Mullins' arm is going to be an issue in CF. Heck it's going to be an issue in LF, but will be less so. that throw today was awful, like Johnny Damon at the end of his career awful. I'm hoping that slipped out of his hand a bit. 

I'm liking Reinheimer more and more. He keeps hitting, having good PAs, and plays a solid defensive SS. I'd definitely keep him over Escobar. I'd keep all three of Martin, Jackson and Reinheimer since Jackson can platoon with Mullins as well. 

If Trumbo starts hitting between now an opening day he will be on the 25 man roster.  12 of the 13 position players seem pretty well defined.  The 13th will be a hard decision if there are no injuries.

Infield:(5)  Davis, Villar, Martin, Ruiz, Jackson

Catcher: (2) Sisco, (one of Sucre, Perez, Susac or Wynns)

DH: (1) Trumbo

Outfield: (4) Mancini, Hays, Santander, Rickard

13th man: (Pick one) Mullins, Nunez, Escobar or Reinheimer

I find it hard to believe that Reinhiemer will be added to the 25 man roster when he can be one phone call away in Norfolk.

I know there are other ways to configure the team but I think we have to consider this one.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

If Trumbo starts hitting between now an opening day he will be on the 25 man roster.  12 of the 13 position players seem pretty well defined.  The 13th will be a hard decision if there are no injuries.

Infield:(5)  Davis, Villar, Martin, Ruiz, Jackson

Catcher: (2) Sisco, (one of Sucre, Perez, Susac or Wynns)

DH: (1) Trumbo

Outfield: (4) Mancini, Hays, Santander, Rickard

13th man: (Pick one) Mullins, Nunez, Escobar or Reinheimer

I find it hard to believe that Reinhiemer will be added to the 25 man roster when he can be one phone call away in Norfolk.

I know there are other ways to configure the team but I think we have to consider this one.

How can you say that Santander is a lock and Mullins is fighting for a spot?  Based on what? 

I doubt Ruiz is a lock either. 

22 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

How can you say that Santander is a lock and Mullins is fighting for a spot?  Based on what? 

I doubt Ruiz is a lock either. 

Mullins is not a plus defender because of his arm and he has not hit well either last year in the majors or this spring.

Hays is the best hitter in camp and is playing well in center.

Santander is hitting well and playing decent corner defense.

Ruiz is a better defender at 3B than Nunez and he hitting much better than Nunez.

The O's are going to need some hitters.   Mancini is 0 for March, Martin is 0 for his last 13, Sisco is 2 his last 13 (both singles), Villar is hitting .160.   Davis is hitting .188 coming off one of the worst years for an mlb player.

That is 5 of the starting 9.   Someone has to hit.   They say if you hit they will find a place for you.  Well Santander is hitting.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Mullins is not a plus defender because of his arm and he has not hit well either last year in the majors or this spring.

Santander is hitting well and playing decent corner defense.

Ruiz is a better defender at 3B than Nunez and he hitting much better than Nunez.

The O's are going to need some hitters.   Mancini is 0 for March, Martin is 0 for his last 13, Sisco is 2 his last 13 (both singles), Villar is hitting .160.   Davis is hitting .188 coming off one of the worst year for that mob player.

That is 5 of the starting 9.   Someone has to hit.   They say if you hit they will find a place for you.  Well Santander is hitting.

Can we see a full year of Mullins before we determine how good a defender he is? We know his arm isn’t good, let’s see the rest of his game over a longer look. The kid can fly. You are over thinking spring stats.   

Santander is at his peak defensively right now. He was ok at best in RF last year. You seem to ignore Santander’s showing last year in Baltimore and use spring training to boost him this year. I think Santander has a hitterish look to him but the bottom line is except for a good year at high A ball in 16 and a small number of at bats in AA in 17 his resume is pretty weak.  

Ruiz may indeed make the team and clearly he is a better glove than Ruiz. 

I think it is very evident that Elias is focused mainly on improving defense this year at a minimal cost. If Ruiz makes the team his glove will be the reason not his bat.  

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Can we see a full year of Mullins before we determine how good a defender he is? We know his arm isn’t good, let’s see the rest of his game over a longer look. The kid can fly. You are over thinking spring stats.   

Santander is at his peak defensively right now. He was ok at best in RF last year. You seem to ignore Santander’s showing last year in Baltimore and use spring training to boost him this year. I think Santander has a hitterish look to him but the bottom line is except for a good year at high A ball in 16 and a small number of at bats in AA in 17 his resume is pretty weak.  

Ruiz may indeed make the team and clearly he is a better glove than Ruiz. 

I think it is very evident that Elias is focused mainly on improving defense this year at a minimal cost. If Ruiz makes the team his glove will be the reason not his bat.  

I don't think Elias/Hyde are going to watch runners going first to third and 2nd to home because Mullins can't throw.  They are not going to give him a year IMO.   They are probably not going to begin the season with him as a starter.  As you just said Elias is trying to improve the defense.   That arm will not play as a major league starter.  The book is out on him. Team have no respect for his arm.

Santander is hitting now.  He has options.  If he stops hitting he can be sent down.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think Elias/Hyde are going to watch running go first to third and 2nd to home because Mullins can't throw.  They are not going to give him a year IMO.   They are probably not going to begin the season with him as a starter.  As you just said Elias is trying to improve the defense.   That arm will not play its a major league starter.  The book is out on him. Team have not respect for him arm.

Santander is hitting now.  He has options.  If he stops hitting he can be sent down.

Well we will agree to disagree here. 

Mullins has elite speed, you can’t teach that. He gradually worked his way up the system and deserves this opportunity. He needs to play and play a ton. I see no reason for him not to. It makes  no sense to send him down. His glove was praised by the scouts for years. Let’s see what he can do. 

Santander is hitting now in a SSS in spring training. Let him rake at AAA for awhile. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Well we will agree to disagree here. 

Mullins has elite speed, you can’t teach that. He gradually worked his way up the system and deserves this opportunity. He needs to play and play a ton. I see no reason for him not to. It makes  no sense to send him down. His glove was praised by the scouts for years. Let’s see what he can do. 

Santander is hitting now in a SSS in spring training. Let him rake at AAA for awhile. 

So in addition to  Mancini is 0 for March, Martin is 0 for his last 13, Sisco is 2 his last 13 (both singles), Villar is hitting .160.   Davis is hitting .188 coming off one of the worst years for an mlb player.   You want to add Mullins hitting .152.

That is 6 players not hitting out of 9.  Don't expect to  to score much.

25 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So in addition to  Mancini is 0 for March, Martin is 0 for his last 13, Sisco is 2 his last 13 (both singles), Villar is hitting .160.   Davis is hitting .188 coming off one of the worst years for an mlb player.   You want to add Mullins hitting .152.

That is 6 players not hitting out of 9.  Don't expect to  to score much.

I never expected this team to score much. 

What I expected was to see this team give opportunities to players who deserve them. 

Dumb question about defense... I expect the answer to be “no” but somehow on the Internet there’s always someone to tell me otherwise:

Obviously pitching and hitting is more difficult the higher the league you’re in, but does defense change? Like, is playing centerfield in the MLB harder than AAA? 

Assuming all parks are equal, that is.

Archived