Hard to keep Hays out of this lineup

Roy Firestone

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Everything that’s being done is with an eye towards the long term good of the franchise.    If it’s painful in the short term, so be it.   

If that were true they would have signed one of those Cuban guys.  Everything is being done to save money.  Every move made by the team since sons took over was to save money.  I am sure reason Hyde was chosen as manager was because he was cheapest.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

And you think he turned down the extension because they delayed his service clock?

I think that if they had approached him early the result may have been different.  You don't have much leverage to get a guy to sign a long term deal when he's making 10M as an Arb 1 player.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Nolan Reimold had a pretty good April and May in Norfolk once upon a time.  Anything less than an .800 OPS would be pretty disappointing considering what he did in as two years ago and this spring.  I'm guessing he puts up big numbers down there.

Yeah, Reimold was awesome at Norfolk in April/May 2009.     But it’s a tough place to hit.     I’d like to see Hays at or near the top of the team leaderboard, put it that way.   If he’s not outhitting Stewart and Diaz (assuming they’re all in Norfolk) it’s doubtful the team will be in any hurry to call him up.   

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Haha. How many top  prospects have they had in that time?  It's not a gravehard for RH hitters.

FTFY.

Sorry going back to 2009 kinda proves the opposition's point.

I for one am not concerned about what numbers he puts up at Norfolk, I don't think they make any difference unless they are something truly extreme. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, Reimold was awesome at Norfolk in April/May 2009.     But it’s a tough place to hit.     I’d like to see Hays at or near the top of the team leaderboard, put it that way.   If he’s not outhitting Stewart and Diaz (assuming they’re all in Norfolk) it’s doubtful the team will be in any hurry to call him up.   

I think they just showed that how one player does versus another player isn't relevant.  Hays being on the 40 and Diaz not being on the 40 will have more of an impact.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think they just showed that how one player does versus another player isn't relevant.  Hays being on the 40 and Diaz not being on the 40 will have more of an impact.

Look, performance is clearly relevant.    It’s simply not the only relevant factor.   

Your point about Diaz is a good one.    They’ll probably be in no hurry to promote a guy when that results in someone else being booted from the 40-man roster.   Hays and Stewart aren’t in that boat.   Of course, Hays is the better defender of those two so any choice between them wouldn’t be solely about hitting.   

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They didn't bring him up in 2016.  He was drafted in 2016.

I also think the rationale here is 100% about service time manipulation.  With Diaz I can see it as he isn't on the 40 man roster.  They don't have that excuse with Hays.  If he gets called up and struggles, you send him down. 

2017. My mistake. 

Regardless, he missed an entire year of development time. He clearly wasn't ready for the majors in 2017 and didn't have any time to develop in the subsequent year due to the multiple injuries. He needs the time in the minors. Forty at bats in which at least half were against A-AAA arms is not a good enough justification to put him on the roster. Having him break camp with the team, struggle in the majors, and then get sent back down is not good for his development. It would be quite bad.

12 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I agree Roy. I am going to be upset if he isn't one of the starters on opening day. His spring performance reminds me of Nick's spring performance several years ago.

Hopefully with the regime they will start him this season.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

With Stewart, Hays, and Smith likely at Norfolk I'm expecting Diaz to start at Bowie.

Could be.    But I don’t see any financial/non-baseball reason to assign players to a level other than what’s best for that player’s development and the quality of the available alternatives.    In other words, I don’t see a “manipulative” motive to wherever they assign him.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Look, performance is clearly relevant.    It’s simply not the only relevant factor.   

Your point about Diaz is a good one.    They’ll probably be in no hurry to promote a guy when that results in someone else being booted from the 40-man roster.   Hays and Stewart aren’t in that boat.   Of course, Hays is the better defender of those two so any choice between them wouldn’t be solely about hitting.   

Half the guys on the 40 could be cut and no one would even notice or care.  

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Is it possible that Elias is actually smarter than everyone who posts on this board?  Haha. I know that's tough to fathom for some.  Long term over short term. 

Or he's not being given the opportunity to sign guys long term with the current team situation?

Just a thought.

I think it is a very poor idea to assume that just because someone is smart their actions are above reproach. 

3 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Just curious, what is wrong with the word "manipulation"? Is manipulation always a bad thing? A GM should do what is best for the team. What is best right now? Saving his service time? Having him there opening day to sell a few more tickets? Boost his confidence?

There is nothing nothing wrong with that word. Just some oversenitive fan. 

Archived