TT: Development is key in 3rd round of cuts

Tony-OH

14 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It isn't fair to Trumbo to group him with Davis.  Trumbo was an above average bat last year.

Yes, compared to everyone, including shortstops and catchers.  But among 2018 DHs?  The average DH (including NL fill-in DHs) hit .774 with a 111 OPS+.  Trumbo had a .764 and a 110.  Past two years .713 and 93.  Career .768 and 108.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the more interesting things about all this, I think, is what it says about Mullins. Elias was quoted as saying they have some projections on Mullins that he'll be a solid major leaguer. It would appear they believe he doesn't need any further development in the minors and that's *probably* true as he was decent enough in 269 AAA PA (.771 OPS) and crushed AA with a .875 over 218 PA, both in 2018. I think it's clear he is who he is and he put in his time at both AA and AAA. 

I think it also means they don't really view him as a big time prospect (true of most of us here as well, probably), and they don't want to burn a 40-man in order to add a guy like Young Jr. to the roster.

15 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yes, compared to everyone, including shortstops and catchers.  But among 2018 DHs?  The average DH (including NL fill-in DHs) hit .774 with a 111 OPS+.  Trumbo had a .764 and a 110.  Past two years .713 and 93.  Career .768 and 108.

You want us to be able to trade him this year right?   You're not helping.   ;)

Maybe we can get some more international slot money and then trade it away in the following spring.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

One of the more interesting things about all this, I think, is what it says about Mullins. Elias was quoted as saying they have some projections on Mullins that he'll be a solid major leaguer. It would appear they believe he doesn't need any further development in the minors and that's *probably* true as he was decent enough in 269 AAA PA (.771 OPS) and crushed AA with a .875 over 218 PA, both in 2018. I think it's clear he is who he is and he put in his time at both AA and AAA. 

I think it also means they don't really view him as a big time prospect (true of most of us here as well, probably), and they don't want to burn a 40-man in order to add a guy like Young Jr. to the roster.

This is all about Hays, Diaz and Santander's service time.   Mullins is just place holder until Hays spends his 46 days in the minors so the O's have Hays for 7 years.

I think the biggest takeaway is that they are grooming him for CF. Service time aside, that is a great reason for him to stay at AAA. If he is capable of CF, I wonder why the old regime didn't play him there earlier. Did they think he was going to be blocked by Jones for eternity? Or is the new regime being overly optimistic here?

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

This is all about Hays, Diaz and Santander's service time.   Mullins is just place holder until Hays spends his 46 days in the minors so the O's have Hays for 7 years.

I don't agree it's *ALL* about service time, but sure. I think Mullins would be in AAA if they thought he was a guy that needed further development, and they would find another Hays placeholder. But they didn't do that, so they must feel he's done what he can in the minors.

16 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

It feels like a lot of people failed to realize the fact that Hays has less than half a season in AA and Santander mainly played in AA as a rehab assignment during his Rule 5 year.

Then they also only care about Spring stats if someone they like does well, or someone they dislike does bad. Otherwise "stats don't matter."

Hays has played 130 games in AA — half a season in 2017 and then all of 2018 when he wasn’t hurt.    I assume he’ll start 2019 in AAA, as he’s had plenty of AA experience and looks more than ready for that level of competition now that he’s healthy.   

It certainly looks like Norfolk’s outfield could be more interesting to follow than Baltimore’s.   

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

This is all about Hays, Diaz and Santander's finishing up their development time.   Mullins is just place holder until Hays gets his body of work in the minors a little bit bigger, gets a little bit more experience in the minor leagues, succeeds and then comes here and helps us.”

FTFY  :deadhorse:?

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/03/hyde-on-roster-cuts-wynns-update-and-more.html

2 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Listen in Hyde:

“It looks like a lot different in June,” Hyde said. “There’s always this deadline of Opening Day…It’s a big deal to be on an Opening Day roster. At the same time, it’s one of 162. There are six months to go. Some guys are going to impact our club that aren’t going to be on our Opening Day roster.”

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2019/03/18/mike-elias-orioles-cuts-wright-gives-three-homers-reinheimer-hangs/

Hays, Diaz and Santander showed in ST that they are developed and ready for the majors.   But if the O's want them for 7 years instead of 6 they have to work the service time angle.   Elias can't say it because its against league rules but they will all be back by June and its not because they have to go work on something.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Listen in Hyde:

“It looks like a lot different in June,” Hyde said. “There’s always this deadline of Opening Day…It’s a big deal to be on an Opening Day roster. At the same time, it’s one of 162. There are six months to go. Some guys are going to impact our club that aren’t going to be on our Opening Day roster.”

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2019/03/18/mike-elias-orioles-cuts-wright-gives-three-homers-reinheimer-hangs/

Hays, Diaz and Santander showed in ST that they are developed and ready for the majors.   But if the O's want them for 7 years instead of 6 they have to work the service time angle.   Elias can't say it because its against league rules but they will all be back by June and its not because they have to go work on something.

Wow I didn't realize that was possible in ST. Because it's not. Is Sisco ready after OPSing .696 in AAA last year because he hit 4 ST home runs?

Guarantee you one of these guys is up before the deadline to get an extra year of service time. 

I have to admit though that even though I know he's lying I really thought he handled the service time question well by saying it was "ZERO" about that.  I really wanted to believe him, and that's a credit to his delivery and interview skills.  If I didn't know better I would definitely have accepted that answer.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Listen in Hyde:

Irrelevant I say!  ME would agree!  ?

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I eluded to this in another thread, but do you think the Hays cut points directly to a Sisco cut once Wynns is deemed healthy? I do. 

Sisco is not going to be cut.  This service time in at 156 day.   Sending him down buys them nothing.   He is playing well enough to be in the majors.   Sucre will be added as his backup and Alberto with the DFA to make room just before opening day in an effort to get him to the minors.

Just now, Aglets said:

I have to admit though that even though I know he's lying I really thought he handled the service time question well by saying it was "ZERO" about that.  I really wanted to believe him, and that's a credit to his delivery and interview skills.  If I didn't know better I would definitely have accepted that answer.

I don't know that he's lying. In both cases, Hays and Santander did not dominate last year in the minors. It's not ALL about service time, and I'm willing to bet they are up as soon as they're ready. 

Archived