The talent influx could arrive quickly this season and next

interloper

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

For a guy with no ML skills he did a heck of a job putting up half a win in only 17 games last year. 

He's 25 and just got cut in favor of a couple journeymen OF'ers from outside the organization.

You're right he's a keeper.

Just now, webbrick2010 said:

He's 25 and just got cut in favor of a couple journeymen OF'ers from outside the organization.

You're right he's a keeper.

You’ve been harping on Stewart for years, and you’re probably right that he’s not pegged by management as an impact player.  Considering there are four college guys picked ahead of Stewart who haven’t sniffed the majors yet as well as another four picked behind him, I’m not going to condemn the pick just yet.    (By the way, two of the four picked ahead of him were Dillon Tate (4th) and Richie Martin (20th).    I certainly think you are wrong that Stewart will never see the majors again.   

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm full webbrick on Grenier, I think he was a third round talent taken in the first round because of Cobb.

LOL, line of the day.    What’s Cobb got to do with where Grenier was picked?    I realize we lost a pick, but that’s no reason to take someone you consider a third round talent in the 1st round.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

LOL, line of the day.    What’s Cobb got to do with where Grenier was picked?    I realize we lost a pick, but that’s no reason to take someone you consider a third round talent in the 1st round.

Cobb cost the O's their third pick, which was in the second round.  I think they wanted Grenier and didn't want to risk him being gone by the time they picked in the third. 

I just don't see how they thought he was a legitimate first round talent.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Cobb cost the O's their third pick, which was in the second round.  I think they wanted Grenier and didn't want to risk him being gone by the time they picked in the third. 

Doesn’t your logic suggest they thought he was a second round talent, not a third round talent?    Either way, I understand your point.    I’d just hate to think we were taking someone there who we didn’t think was the best player available.     

FWIW, there were two college shortstops picked in the second round, Tyler Frank (Rays) and Jeremy Eierman (A’s).     Both played in the NY-Penn League last summer while Grenier was playing in the Sally League.

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Some of the players mentioned in the OP likely will make the major soon. A number of them likely still  will not for whatever reason.   Even of the ones that do, does that translate to winning in the AL East?  Not necessarily.  

Yep.  Elias can do a heck of a job and a lot of things can go right and the O's still might fall short in this division.  That is what happens when you have a couple rich and well run clubs.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Grenier's going to weave deeper into the organizational zeitgeist though if his teammate Rutschman becomes the new franchise player.  They'll be Bowie teammates next year I bet, assuming Elias goes with the chalk pick.

I think a good prop bet to kick around now is what infielder has the most at-bats as an Oriole:

-Adam Hall

-Jean Carmona

-JC Encarnacion

-Rylan Bannon

-Cadyn Grenier

I hope for one nugget from that group.  Will definitely be monitoring Hall and Carmona's defense - I believe Grenier is considered the only surefire SS in the group.

Just now, OrioleDog said:

Grenier's going to weave deeper into the organizational zeitgeist though if his teammate Rutschman becomes the new franchise player.  They'll be Bowie teammates next year I bet, assuming Elias goes with the chalk pick.

I think a good prop bet to kick around now is what infielder has the most at-bats as an Oriole:

-Adam Hall

-Jean Carmona

-JC Encarnacion

-Rylan Bannon

-Cadyn Grenier

I hope for one nugget from that group.  Will definitely be monitoring Hall and Carmona's defense - I believe Grenier is considered the only surefire SS in the group.

I don't think Grenier has anything to do with Rutschman and I am not sure he starts next season in Bowie.

As for Grenier being a surefire SS, I've seen at least one "expert" who thinks he's a 2B (I don't recall whom so don't ask).

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think Grenier has anything to do with Rutschman and I am not sure he starts next season in Bowie.

As for Grenier being a surefire SS, I've seen at least one "expert" who thinks he's a 2B (I don't recall whom so don't ask).

It will be interesting to see if they make Grenier start back at Delmarva.  Have to think that would be a little discouraging for a polished college star.  We'll see soon but my guess is he gets to start Frederick.

I don't expect him to blow through levels but one year at a time gets him to Bowie next year, and Rutschman probably plays some AA next year (whoever he is with).

Archived