Who’s your choice for most pleasant surprise of 2019?

Frobby

31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's already been up twice before.

He's not a 20 year old skipping AAA.  He's 24, he's got 139 games in AAA over three seasons. 

This will be his fourth stint in AAA.

Well, technically.   

2016 - 4 games 

2017 - 97 games 

2018 - 38 games

2016 doesn’t really count.   2018 he played more games in the majors than he did in AAA.

I don’t have a big problem with them sending him down, though I was rooting for him to make the team.    I’m not that worried about his confidence.    If he plays well, he’ll be back up soon enough.   

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, scOtt said:

I think Severino is on the roster because he (and Sucre) have good ML experience and Chance still isn't really ready.

Good MLB experience?

Sucre -    .221/.258/.306 for -0.1 WAR and an OPS+ 57

Severino -     .187/.273/.287 for -0.7 WAR and OPS+ 48

Granted that both are likely better defensively, but I think they believe that Severino is worth taking a look at since he's younger than Sucre and they can only do it at the ML level due to his options situation.  Young players with options often get pinched in that situation.  I'm sure that Sisco will be back.

41 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Good MLB experience?

Sucre -    .221/.258/.306 for -0.1 WAR and an OPS+ 57

Severino -     .187/.273/.287 for -0.7 WAR and OPS+ 48

Granted that both are likely better defensively, but I think they believe that Severino is worth taking a look at since he's younger than Sucre and they can only do it at the ML level due to his options situation.  Young players with options often get pinched in that situation.  I'm sure that Sisco will be back.

I think their offense plays zero part in it. Well... 10%. They want good defenders with ML experience. Help the young (ish) pitching staff and be the field general. That's Chance's weakest areas.

And I agree he'll be back soon enough. I hope he spends most of the year in Norfolk tho, even if he's hitting.

22 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

This is the perfect situation to let him sink or swim.  If they know he's not part of the future they need to trade him.

In your mind, maybe. In their mind, definitely not. The Orioles' reasoning coud be any of:

1. Sisco just isn't good enough to be an ML catcher.
2. They view him as having FV, so they want to manipulate service time.
3. They have specific developmental things that they want him to focus on with new coaches while not in the majors (due to #1 or #2 above).

All of those reasons are good enough for me to demote the kid. I hope he turns into a good player for the Orioles, but like Elias, I'm not in a hurry.

Just now, LookinUp said:

In your mind, maybe. In their mind, definitely not. The Orioles' reasoning coud be any of:

1. Sisco just isn't good enough to be an ML catcher.
2. They view him as having FV, so they want to manipulate service time.
3. They have specific developmental things that they want him to focus on with new coaches while not in the majors (due to #1 or #2 above).

All of those reasons are good enough for me to demote the kid. I hope he turns into a good player for the Orioles, but like Elias, I'm not in a hurry.

1- So trade him, as I've already said.

2- I strongly disagree and they could probably extend him now at a bargain price.

3- What can he work on at Norfolk that he can't work on for a 110 loss team in the majors?  (I'm guessing his tan?)

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

2- I strongly disagree and they could probably extend him now at a bargain price.

3- What can he work on at Norfolk that he can't work on for a 110 loss team in the majors?  (I'm guessing his tan?)

We just have to wait for the Sucre vs. Severino battle to play out. Once they decide which of them they want to keep, they will DFA one and bring Sisco back up (presuming he's doing well).  Unless I'm wrong, of course.

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

We just have to wait for the Sucre vs. Severino battle to play out. Once they decide which of them they want to keep, they will DFA one and bring Sisco back up (presuming he's doing well).  Unless I'm wrong, of course.

Or maybe they are just waiting for Wynns to get healthy.

/shrug

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

1. For what? He's not fetching a great prospect. Maybe they'll stick with him and hope he can improve specific things rather than start over with another flyer.

2. Agree to disagree. It's not about this year, it's about building the best team we can in a few years, and like it or not, the system allows for teams to manage assets in a way that attempts to maximize value over time. You can say they're humans all you want, or that fans deserve better this year (and you'd be right about both) but Angelos hired a data guy to do exactly this.

3. Technically, nothing, but why does he HAVE to work on this stuff in the majors? You're acting like he cannot get better at AAA. That's false.

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

1. For what? He's not fetching a great prospect. Maybe they'll stick with him and hope he can improve specific things rather than start over with another flyer.

2. Agree to disagree. It's not about this year, it's about building the best team we can in a few years, and like it or not, the system allows for teams to manage assets in a way that attempts to maximize value over time. You can say they're humans all you want, or that fans deserve better this year (and you'd be right about both) but Angelos hired a data guy to do exactly this.

3. Technically, nothing, but why does he HAVE to work on this stuff in the majors? You're acting like he cannot get better at AAA. That's false.

I don't think it is possible to learn to hit major league pitching hitting in the minors.

Obviously some guys can hit ML pitching despite being in the minors.  Sisco doesn't appear to be in the camp.

And who cares if he doesn't bring back a great prospect, if you have decided he's not a ML player and you have enough depth take what you can get and move on.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think it is possible to learn to hit major league pitching hitting in the minors.

Obviously some guys can hit ML pitching despite being in the minors.  Sisco doesn't appear to be in the camp.

And who cares if he doesn't bring back a great prospect, if you have decided he's not a ML player and you have enough depth take what you can get and move on.

But you're arguing dishonestly.

This idea that you cannot learn to hit major league pitching in the minors is false, but phrased the only way you can to make your point. Can you learn to better hit fastballs or better off speed pitches at AAA? Sure. Can you make mechanical adjustments in your swing based on different coaches' approaches in AAA? Sure. Can that stuff make you a better all around hitter and better prepare you for the majors, of course. 

My first point was that it's possible that they don't think Sisco is good enough to be in the majors. I did not say that they necessarily think he's not good enough to EVER be a good major league player. If it's what I said, sending him to AAA for hitting or defense work is very defensible.

Archived