Who’s your choice for most pleasant surprise of 2019?

Frobby

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Big year at Norfolk?

The thread title didn't specify on the O's or the minors so...yeah. I will be just as happy with some really good development in our minor league system. Just this year though, as I'll need to see improvement on the ML team next year.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do see Ruiz as an Elias favorite.  His development may have stalled for half a decade, but culling my old Baseball Prospectus's for low minors guys I surely skipped over in bygone Astros chapters, once upon a time...

BP 2013:

In high school, Ruiz was a star quarterback and his mid-90s velocity as a pitcher had scouts slavering. Undaunted by his injury history, the Astros were able to talk him out of college by offering first-round money after he slid to the fourth round. The tools are there for a plus hitter with plus power and plus defense, but he's still plus-plus raw. You see, football and a fastball won't do much to help him at the hot corner.

BP 2014:

Rio Ruiz hit .297/.354/.521 in the second half, which began a month after his 19th birthday. The list of lefty-swinging third basemen with such precocious numbers and a plus arm is exceedingly short.

32 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Along those lines, I'm going to go with Chris Davis with a modest bounce back to .800 OPS. Maybe the analytics tell him to hit opposite field or change his swing.

I also think Drew Jackson is a nugget and is somehow starting by the end of the year, either at 2B when Villar is traded, or in CF.

Analytics aren't going to help Davis hit the ball unfortunately. 

I think both Martin and Jackson are going to have a lot trouble hitting major league pitching.  It's going to be painful to watch at times.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Hopefully there’s at least one pleasant surprise player on the O’s in 2019.     Who’ve you got?

I think I’ll go with Rio Ruiz.   He won’t make anyone forget Manny, but I say he’ll play solid D and put up a .750ish OPS.

Last year in 541 at bats in Triple A he had a .711 OPS. I am not sure where you are getting the .750 OPS from.  More than likely he is released before the season is over.  

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Fwiw, Cedric Mullins will be voted MVO at the end of the season.  David Hess will finish the season with most innings pitched.

Maybe I'm just gaga right now at the Trumbo 60-day DL move and the exciting new possibility of analytics guiding the club to a decision of leaving Mancini's OF gloves behind in Sarasota, but if Trey goes 27 HR and 94 RBI with ample DH/1B time letting him focus on what he's good (maybe too strong of a word, but maybe not) at, that profile could be tough to beat.

I will be eagerly watching the Mancini OF games played count in April, and the longer it stays zero, the happier I'll be even if I'm watching Joey Rickard too much.

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Haha. That's one of the reasons it would be a pleasant surprise. IIRC, Fred Lynn hit about .280 in AAA and then hit about .330 in his rookie year. Some players actually do better than you would expect.  

Fred Lynn had .857 OPS at AAA which was his first full year in the minors.  

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Along those lines, I'm going to go with Chris Davis with a modest bounce back to .800 OPS. Maybe the analytics tell him to hit opposite field or change his swing.

Can you share some of what you are smoking? Please.

Problem with Davis is multi-faceted, his swing is all messed up and he is deteriorating physically.  Plus the concentration lapses.  

Best case for Davis I see happening is .750 OPS if he makes a serious rebound.

And just for fun, I'll say Mike Wright surprises by being useful. Feel free to ask me what I'm on now. ?

A lot of love for DSJ.  His minor league #'s are less than impressive.  I don't see him outperforming what he did in the minors.  He has never hit for average or power. 

Someone will surprise, but we are in for a rude awakening with most of these players. Most of the current roster will struggle to be > .700.  

8 hours ago, atomic said:

Last year in 541 at bats in Triple A he had a .711 OPS. I am not sure where you are getting the .750 OPS from.  More than likely he is released before the season is over.  

Maybe you don’t understand the meaning of the word “surprise.”

Archived