Who’s your choice for most pleasant surprise of 2019?

Frobby

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still like Castro's arm, so I'm hoping he clicks this year. I want to pick Hess, but think time will expose his stuff.

In the minors, I've been trumpeting Blaine Knight and nobody has taken the bait yet, lol. I think he can be a highly ranked pitching prospect by the end of the year. 

I also like Adam Hall more than most, so hopefully my instinct is right on him.

Just now, LookinUp said:

I still like Castro's arm, so I'm hoping he clicks this year. I want to pick Hess, but think time will expose his stuff.

In the minors, I've been trumpeting Blaine Knight and nobody has taken the bait yet, lol. I think he can be a highly ranked pitching prospect by the end of the year.

I also like Adam Hall more than most, so hopefully my instinct is right on him.

It’s entirely plausible that Knight could develop into a very good prospect.    He’s barely gotten his feet wet, which is why there hasn’t been much buzz about him yet.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

It’s entirely plausible that Knight could develop into a very good prospect.    He’s barely gotten his feet wet, which is why there hasn’t been much buzz about him yet.   

I think Knight gets plenty of hype on this board.

It is true I haven't read much about him on a national level but why should we?

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Definitely true. He also fell in the draft. I heard him on the radio the other day talking about how neither he nor any of his highly drafted teammates really threw change ups in college. That has to change now. I have to assume that's one of the reasons a 14-0 national championship winning ace pitcher fell in the draft and comes in at #9 on OH lists. 

Hopefully a year in the minors will help him round out his resume. He sure looks the part to me, but I'm far from an expert.

4 hours ago, interloper said:

You are clearly not understanding the concept of this thread, in which people pick a "surprise" breakout because, as a surprise, it is understood that the player is already expected/projected to play poorly. 

Also don't know what you were attempting to say about Davis. It surely wasn't that hopefully he'll be released because you've told us many times he obviously will not be released this year. 

Oh I said hopefully he will be a surprise and play better. It will be hard for anyone to watch him hit .150 again.  Seeing he will be with us the next 4 years we have to hope he does something positive this year. 

15 hours ago, atomic said:

Last year in 541 at bats in Triple A he had a .711 OPS. I am not sure where you are getting the .750 OPS from.  More than likely he is released before the season is over.  

This is the pleasant surprise prediction thread, not the crap on other people’s choices thread.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think Knight gets plenty of hype on this board.

It is true I haven't read much about him on a national level but why should we?

I think he gets almost no hype on this board, and I think Frobby's right about why he doesn't. People talk a ton about Hall, GRod, Akin, Lowther, Pop, Kremer and probably others before Knight. 

Why should we? Because his results at the highest levels of college ball were excellent. He's not a 98-100 mph guy, but I think his stuff is plenty good to be a #2/#3 ML pitcher.

(Note: I'm obviously a little off with my assessment of his stuff. That has to be why he fell in the draft a bit and isn't a highly touted guy yet. Hopefully that statement about a change up that he made on the radio is a hint of improvements in stuff to come.)

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

This is the pleasant surprise prediction thread, not the crap on other people’s choices thread.

If you think someone will be a surprise it would be worth giving a reason.  Why so negative towards everyone Luke?  

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I think he gets almost no hype on this board, and I think Frobby's right about why he doesn't. People talk a ton about Hall, GRod, Akin, Lowther, Pop, Kremer and probably others before Knight. 

Why should we? Because his results at the highest levels of college ball were excellent. He's not a 98-100 mph guy, but I think his stuff is plenty good to be a #2/#3 ML pitcher.

(Note: I'm obviously a little off with my assessment of his stuff. That has to be why he fell in the draft a bit and isn't a highly touted guy yet. Hopefully that statement about a change up that he made on the radio is a hint of improvements in stuff to come.)

Now that I did a search for him and saw how many of the posts are by you I can see why you think that way.  ?

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/search/&q="blaine knight"

Archived