Dylan Bundy 2019

Frobby

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

My obsession with Chris Davis watching third strikes has been replaced with my obsession with Bundy throwing fastballs right down the middle.  It would be great if the velocity was better, but location is his biggest issue.  

I don't know what the issue is with Bundy. Sometimes I wonder if in his mind he believes he can still throw his fb by good hitters. Secondly, don't let the big guns beat you. The first HR ok, but to do it again with a man on base is crazy, poor location and pitch selection. What is Bundy's baseball IQ?

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Which isn’t saying much.   

Hyde on Bundy: “I thought this was Dylan’s best start. I thought he had really good stuff. Two good breaking balls, a really good changeup. He had more hop on his fastball. Just the long ball ...

“Pitch count was low. We were down three runs, and he pitched into the sixth inning. Right away, two homers knocked him out of the game. But I thought from the stuff standpoint, it was the best I’ve seen him all year. I thought his changeup was really good. He kept guys off-balance. It was just a few mistakes. They didn’t hit singles. They went deep.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/04/homestand-ends-with-more-homers-allowed-in-8-5-loss.html

1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

“It was just a few mistakes. They didn’t hit singles. They went deep.” 

Other than that, how did you like the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

Either he’s serious or he’s playing a 3-dimensional chess and he’s way over my head. 

Ah yes, I remember yesteryear when it was a thread of should we trade Bundy and people clamoring about saving for the future. The future looks pretty, pretty bright right about now.

Now to be fair, he has been hurt. But if we had a decent offer for him after the 2014 season and being 4 games away from the World Series, I'd be hot. This is one of the reason I'm not a fan of holding folks just based on what they could be. Especially if we're locked in as a good team. (Which we were at the time) Now Bundy just looks like another guy ready to give up 20 runs a game.

Hope he rebounds though!

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He had 8 Ks. That’s probably what Hyde is focusing on. 

I think we should just bite the bullet and make him a reliever. He won’t pitch in very many high leverage situations but he will bring back more as a reliever next year/offseason via trade than the worst ERA qualified SP. 

I know it doesn't show up in the numbers, but if the guy has to come in for one or two innings, the stuff could play up. The control could be better. Think, Tommy "Home Run" Hunter. Has had a fine career as a reliever. 

Edited by Bubble Buddy

49 minutes ago, Bubble Buddy said:

I know it doesn't show up in the numbers, but if the guy has to come in for one or two innings, the stuff could play up. The control could be better. Think, Tommy "Home Run" Hunter. Has had a fine career as a reliever. 

He might be good out of the pen, but his salary is too high for a middle reliever. He would be non-tendered by the O's this off-season and get what he can as a free agent from whichever team is willing to pay him. He only works in Baltimore as a starter, and he has to get better at it.

35 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

He might be good out of the pen, but his salary is too high for a middle reliever. He would be non-tendered by the O's this off-season and get what he can as a free agent from whichever team is willing to pay him. He only works in Baltimore as a starter, and he has to get better at it.

I don't necessarily agree that he has to be a middle reliever. I think it's possible he could be a late inning guy.

There are plenty of examples of guys where control improved with a move to the pen. The question is whether he could get a bump to mid 90's velocity. But his stuff is probably better than Hunter's was. Things may just sharpen up with a move to the pen. Especially in Bundy's case where it seems he tires during the season/games, has had injuries, etc.