Dylan Bundy 2019

Frobby

5 minutes ago, Bubble Buddy said:

I don't necessarily agree that he has to be a middle reliever. I think it's possible he could be a late inning guy.

There are plenty of examples of guys where control improved with a move to the pen. The question is whether he could get a bump to mid 90's velocity. But his stuff is probably better than Hunter's was. Things may just sharpen up with a move to the pen. Especially in Bundy's case where it seems he tires during the season/games, has had injuries, etc. 

Bundy makes $2.8 million this season, his first in arbitration. He'll make more than that next season. No one will want to pay him real money to pitch in relief until he's had a few years of success in high leverage situations.

49 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Bundy makes $2.8 million this season, his first in arbitration. He'll make more than that next season. No one will want to pay him real money to pitch in relief until he's had a few years of success in high leverage situations.

Isn't there merit involved with arbitration? Would he be in line for a raise?

I'm not guaranteeing anything. And I wish he succeeds as a starter. But I also don't think back end of the bullpen is out of the question at all if you try to transition him soon. Obviously if he sucks then he's basically cooked and we probably would non tender. I just don't think it's a guarantee that he would suck and I'd be curious to see how he does if he continues to be our worst starter. 

Edited by Bubble Buddy

1 minute ago, Bubble Buddy said:

I'm not guaranteeing anything. And I wish he succeeds as a starter. But I also don't think back end of the bullpen is out of the question at all if you try to transition him soon. Obviously if he sucks then he's basically cooked and we probably would non tender. I just don't think it's a guarantee that he would suck and I'd be curious to see how he does if he continues to be our worst starter. 

I don't think he would suck as a reliever, either, but I also don't think we will pay him more than $1 million to be one. 

34 minutes ago, Bubble Buddy said:

Ha ha ha ha, you're killing me, just killing me!   

The short answer is, service time is a heavy factor in arbitration, and players pretty much get raises no matter how poorly they perform; it's just a matter of how much.    And that's why players get non-tendered.

57 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Ha ha ha ha, you're killing me, just killing me!   

The short answer is, service time is a heavy factor in arbitration, and players pretty much get raises no matter how poorly they perform; it's just a matter of how much.    And that's why players get non-tendered.

I know it's been discussed around here a lot. I've just never paid attention if there was a correlation to productivity in the case of a player like Bundy. I only really knew that the most productive players get the highest amount. 

Just now, Bubble Buddy said:

I know it's been discussed around here a lot. I've just never paid attention if there was a correlation to productivity in the case of a player like Bundy. I only really knew that the most productive players get the highest amount. 

That's why you see some players get non-tendered because a team isn't willing to pay the salary given in arbitration.

o

The AL East division leading Tampa Bay D-Rays take on former 1st-Round draft pick Dylan Bundy, and his 2nd-place Baltimore Orioles ........ however, aside from the fact that the D-Rays are a much better team than the Orioles, their starting pitcher is the hottest in baseball in this still very young season, and Bundy has been extremely home run-prone on the mound.

TAMPA BAY DEVIL R AYS )))))) (APRIL 16th)

Austin Meadows - DH

Tommy Pham - LF

崔志萬 - 1B

Yandy Diaz Fernandez - 3B

Brandon Lowe - 2B

Avisail Antonio Garcia Yaguarin - RF

Kevin Kiermaier - CF

Daniel Robertson - SS

Michael Perez - C

Tyler Allen Glasnow - RHP )) (3-0, 0.53 ERA) ) *

* )) Leads the Major Leagues in Winning Percentage (1.000) and ERA+ (805), and Leads the American League in ERA (0.53)

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

o

Does anybody remember when DD was real serious about not letting pitchers use the cutter? I remember it was centered around Bundy. 

I can’t help but watch him now and feel like he’s turned into what DD feared. Whether it’s as a result of the use of the cutter or not is very debatable.

But he has no feel for his curveball and kind of uses his cutter/slider as a crutch. Plus, fastball velo is down. That’s exactly what I remember DD pointing out about the cutter. Saps velo and can lessen effectiveness of other pitches. 

It might be all due to injury for Bundy. But man, he doesn’t have the velocity, pitch arsenal or control to succeed as a starter right now.

5 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

The AL East division leading Tampa Bay D-Rays take on former 1st-Round draft pick Dylan Bundy, and his 2nd-place Baltimore Orioles ........ however, aside from the fact that the D-Rays are a much better team than the Orioles, their starting pitcher is the hottest in baseball in this still very young season, and Bundy has been extremely home run-prone on the mound.

Austin Meadows - DH

Tommy Pham - LF

崔志萬 - 1B

Brandon Lowe - 2B

Kevin Kiermaier - CF

Daniel Robertson - SS

Michael Perez - C

* )) Leads the Major Leagues in Winning Percentage (1.000) and ERA+ (805), and Leads the American League in ERA (0.53)

o

o

In all 4 starts so far this season, Bundy has pitched fairly well the first time through the lineup and then had much more trouble the 2nd time through ........ that may not be just a coincidence, and I suspect that the notion of moving him to the bullpen may not be a bad idea (Can of Corn suggested using him as an "Opener", which would be a similar strategy.)

o

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

May have spoke too soon. Bundy pumping it at 93 in the fifth inning all of a sudden. 

Struck out the side too in the 5th inning.  His velo jump came out of nowhere all of the sudden. He was throwing 89-90 to start the game. Lets hope it continues. 

5 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Austin Meadows - DH

Tommy Pham - LF

崔志萬 - 1B

Brandon Lowe - 2B

Kevin Kiermaier - CF

Daniel Robertson - SS

Michael Perez - C

o

Choi would write his name 최지만, which uses the Korean (Hangul) alphabet. Most Koreans could write their names using the Chinese Characters also, but they almost never do.

3 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Struck out the side too in the 5th inning.  His velo jump came out of nowhere all of the sudden. He was throwing 89-90 to start the game. Lets hope it continues. 

I saw as low as 88 in the first inning. 

I don't have a great idea of how the shoulder works, but maybe something loosened up in there.  That would be great if he could carry it into this next start(s). 

The difference between Bundy at 88-91 and 92-93 is night and day.  The off speed stuff becomes more effective as well as they have to gear up for the fastball.