Biggest difference this year is the defense

atomic

Last year it annoyed me how horrible the defense.  Mancini butchered left field.  Machado was terrible at Short.  Beckham a bad third basemen.  Joseph a subpar catchesr. Valencia bad in right and at third.  

At least this year everyone is playing the position they should be playing and we are getting better defensive play all around.  It just makes the games more enjoyable when players are getting to balls they should be getting to.  

I said frequently that improving the defense was the most important thing we needed to do, and getting the defense early back to average would be worth 15 to 20 games without any additional improvement.

Last year defense was ignored in favor of offense. It’s much more fun watching this year. I do dread Nunez’s first game at third, but it hasn’t happened yet.

20 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

True. It makes you wonder why there isn't a moneyball strategy focused on defense. It improves your pitching for one thing. And if you can get good pitching and defense, you can beat anybody.

There is a strategy focused on defense. The people that run the Orioles just don’t know what the left and right hands are doing at any time and can’t construct a roster or develop a player.

It’s the little things. Everyone has their little positioning cards they adjust with. Mullins was playing deep as heck on that Smoak blast to center. He made that play look routine. Does Adam get to that ball?  Our two most established vets have been seen on tv checking their index cards.  They have bought in. 

Sucre might be manager or the year at this point. Give that guy that darn shopping cart bath. 4-1. 

Ruiz, Davis, Martin, and Mullins, aren’t hitting, but they sure are out there picking it. 

6 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

True. It makes you wonder why there isn't a moneyball strategy focused on defense. It improves your pitching for one thing. And if you can get good pitching and defense, you can beat anybody.

Mariners have tried it twice.  Didn't work.

Archived