Why isn't Matusz signed yet?

And if he decides not to sign??? How does that improve his bargaining position? You really think going back to University of San Diego for his Senior year is an option? The risk is much too great.

He'll sign... and no he hasn't improved his bargaining position by the recent failures of our starting pitcher or the injury to Loewen. If anything the Orioles can use the Loewen injury against him. They are very similar pitchers drafted in the same position in the draft.

If Matusz wants a major league guarantee the Orioles could use the Loewen injury as a reason not to "rush" a player to the majors based on his contract.

This may be commonsensical in one regard, but it ignores the fact that the O's have become exponentially more in need of starting pitching since Matusz was drafted. He and his agent would be smart to incorporate that fact into their strategy. Also, Loewen's injury helps the player, not the team. It's another (considerable) hole to fill, which means Matusz's value has increased because of the injury--and not decreased because management could claim that no. 4 picks are less valuable because their arms sometimes break (which is a ridiculous argument). I stand by everything else you've said, as well as the complications between the Nats and Aaron Crow playing a factor. I agree: Matusz will sign, but it will be for a lot more than the O's brass bargained for.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your right. No way you give this kid a major league deal after what happened with Adam Loewen. I'm not even talking about his career ending injury(pitching career at least) I'm just talking about the fact that he was rushed to the majors.

The Injury to Loewen nor the need to rush him are not the basis for my thoughts. It is more practical than that. As a rebuilding team you are likely to have the addition of multiple prospects for our ML players. However the closer to ML ready the new guys are the greater the likelihood that the new players will have to be added to the 40 man immediately or during the next offseason. In other words the flexibility is worth more than alittle additional signing bonus, IMO.

This is simple. Crow is screwwing things up for Matusz and the Orioles. Matusz will sign with the Orioles but he's not going to sign and then see Washington cave in and meet Crow's demands.

Unfortunately, all it takes is one or more idiot agents to screw all the rest of the deals up. I just wish that baseball would go into a hard slotting system for at least the 1st 15 picks of the 1st round.

Unfortunately this is what it is, but the Orioles will sign Matusz. Unfortunately, the situation is costing Matusz some valuable professional innings and could delay his progression to the Orioles by at least a half year unless he's lights out with a Wieters-like progression.

This is simple. Crow is screwwing things up for Matusz and the Orioles. Matusz will sign with the Orioles but he's not going to sign and then see Washington cave in and meet Crow's demands.

Unfortunately, all it takes is one or more idiot agents to screw all the rest of the deals up. I just wish that baseball would go into a hard slotting system for at least the 1st 15 picks of the 1st round.

Unfortunately this is what it is, but the Orioles will sign Matusz. Unfortunately, the situation is costing Matusz some valuable professional innings and could delay his progression to the Orioles by at least a half year unless he's lights out with a Wieters-like progression.

Thanks, Tony. I was concerned about the same things. I was thinking that getting him in Aberdeen for a month would be a really good experience...not only for him, but for the local fans to go out and see him.

How much does a college workload will come into consideration when wanting someone to pitch after they sign?

I had a friend last year, Cory Luebke, get drafted by the Padres with a compensatory selection, around pick 63 I believe.

He had thrown 117 innings at OSU, and the staff worked him, he had a lot of 115+ pitch games.

Anyhow he signed with San Deigo, started out with the SS-A team, dominated, moved up to A, moved up to A+ in the California League for their playoff run. Throw another 70 innings in the combined 3 levels.

Is this an exception and players should not throw that much? Or do different athletes have different tolerable workloads?

Sounds like we need to hope Washington doesn't do anything stupid. If they give Crow more than the O's think Matusz is worth things could get complicated.

I understand that these things take time what I don't like is that we were assured that Matusz would be signed by now. Don't promise something if you can't deliver.

You never know what can happen in negotiations. The Orioles should have just said that he will be signed as soon we can get him signed.

I understand that these things take time what I don't like is that we were assured that Matusz would be signed by now. Don't promise something if you can't deliver.

You never know what can happen in negotiations. The Orioles should have just said that he will be signed as soon we can get him signed.

Who assured you of what? I've never heard any Orioles official ever give a time table as to when Matusz would be signed. Link?

Courtesy of the Roch (nice OH mention to boot)...

http://masnsports.com/2008/08/matusz-update.html

Matusz update

By Roch Kubatko on August 4, 2008 12:22 PM | Permalink | Comments (25)

Joe Jordan, the Orioles' director of scouting, is flying to San Diego tomorrow to meet with first-round draft pick Brian Matusz and agent Marc Agar.

Matusz has until Aug. 15 to sign a contract or the Orioles relinquish his rights. Both sides remain confident that a deal will get done.

Matusz has been working out daily in San Diego and is eager to get on the field and throw for the Orioles. His chances of being assigned to a minor league affiliate are dwindling, as are his chances of being introduced in front of the home fans before the deadline.

The Orioles are home this weekend, and then hit the road again for seven days.

They know where Matusz stands. He's not looking to shatter any signing records. And I'm told his family has been extremely impressed with Jordan. The delay in reaching an agreement hasn't created harsh feelings on their side. Just the opposite.

A week passed recently without Matusz hearing from the club, but that had more to do with the non-waiver trade deadline. He understood that it was a busy time for Orioles president Andy MacPhail. Again, no hard feelings.

I also hear that his family marvels at the baseball intelligence of Orioles fans - and I'm not writing that to suck up to anyone who reads this blog, though if that's the result, I can live with it. I've been told this more than once. They read this site, The Sun's site and orioleshangout.com, just to name a few.

Props to Jordan, btw. Sounds like he's doing his part to make sure the discussions don't go south or people get bitter.

Interesting to note that they are not trying to shatter any draft signing records. Refreshing, even.

The truth will ultimately be in the pudding, but it's still a nice piece to hear...

Any chance Matusz will pitch this year?

I know he has pitched alot of innings this year, but I would like to see him get some work before the years over.

As far as next year goes, I think he should start at Bowie. His off-speed pitches should be too much for A-Ball hitters too handle.

Hopefully he is able to move quickly through the organization, and maybe get a shot late in the year with the O's.

Any chance Matusz will pitch this year?

I know he has pitched alot of innings this year, but I would like to see him get some work before the years over.

As far as next year goes, I think he should start at Bowie. His off-speed pitches should be too much for A-Ball hitters too handle.

Hopefully he is able to move quickly through the organization, and maybe get a shot late in the year with the O's.

Looks more likely he goes the Arrieta route and does the Hawaii winter league..

Archived