Why isn't Matusz signed yet?

I follow this stuff pretty closely and I have to believe the Orioles are very disappointed this has taken so long. Slot for this pick is around $2.75M - which is near where a pitcher taken fourth in 2006 received and more than the pitcher taken fourth last year. At the high end, last year's number three pick received around $3.2M.

It is startling to me that Matu and his agent are not comfortable enough with these parameters (or more likely, similar research they've probably done and the Os have probably shared their own analysis with them) to go ahead and sign. Sure, like anyone else, Matu will want to maximize this financial opportunity, but the parameters above are narrow enough that, IMO, he should be more interested in getting his career started.

There is a business end to this (actually, it's all business), but I must say I think this negotiation reflects poorly on BM and his agent. TBeck signed quickly, wanted to get his career underway and did not hold out for every last dollar or worry that someone else might receive a bigger bonus. Why don't Matu and his agent have the same confidence in their negotiation? Why isn't Matu as eager to get his career started? Why are their rumors that they are concerned about the signing bonus of a pitcher drafted five slots later?

I fully supported the Matusz selection. I think he will be a tremendous addition to our minor league talent. I just find it very disappointing that there are rumors out there that Matusz does not want to break the bank and yet we are still waiting for him to sign despite these well-defined (IMO) parameters.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I follow this stuff pretty closely and I have to believe the Orioles are very disappointed this has taken so long. Slot for this pick is around $2.75M - which is near where a pitcher taken fourth in 2006 received and more than the pitcher taken fourth last year. At the high end, last year's number three pick received around $3.2M.

It is startling to me that Matu and his agent are not comfortable enough with these parameters (or more likely, similar research they've probably done and the Os have probably shared their own analysis with them) to go ahead and sign. Sure, like anyone else, Matu will want to maximize this financial opportunity, but the parameters above are narrow enough that, IMO, he should be more interested in getting his career started.

There is a business end to this (actually, it's all business), but I must say I think this negotiation reflects poorly on BM and his agent. TBeck signed quickly, wanted to get his career underway and did not hold out for every last dollar or worry that someone else might receive a bigger bonus. Why don't Matu and his agent have the same confidence in their negotiation? Why isn't Matu as eager to get his career started? Why are their rumors that they are concerned about the signing bonus of a pitcher drafted five slots later?

I fully supported the Matusz selection. I think he will be a tremendous addition to our minor league talent. I just find it very disappointing that there are rumors out there that Matusz does not want to break the bank and yet we are still waiting for him to sign despite these well-defined (IMO) parameters.

They are very disappointed and have felt misled by Matusz' "adviser" Marc Agarr.

As much as the Orioles want Matusz into the organization, we are starting to hear things from Andy MacPhail that suggest the Orioles are willing to just take their 5th overall pick next year if Matusz's agent doesn't come down from his demands.

It really is sad state where agents like this say once thing before the draft and then turn into something else once the player is selected. I know Joe Jordan was just out in California meeting with Agarr but the Orioles are getting the point that it's Matusz is going to have to decide to take a fair offer and come play pro ball or go back to college and watch his leverage disappear as a 22-year old next year where he'll most likely not command the bonus he's being offered now.

If the Orioles don't sign Matusz they should take the money and sign Brady, Landers, Martin and Charles.

They are very disappointing and have felt misled by Matusz' "adviser" Marc Agarr.

As much as the Orioles want Matusz into the organization, we are starting to hear things from Andy MacPhail that suggest the Orioles are willing to just take their 5th overall pick next year if Matusz's agent doesn't come down from his demands.

It really is sad state where agents like this say once thing before the draft and then turn into something else once the player is selected. I know Joe Jordan was just out in California meeting with Agarr but the Orioles are getting the point that it's Matusz is going to have to decide to take a fair offer and come play pro ball or go back to college and watch his leverage disappear as a 22-year old next year where he'll most likely not command the bonus he's being offered now.

If the Orioles don't sign Matusz they should take the money and sign Brady, Landers, Martin and Charles.

Tony, what's your gut say? Think this will get done, or is it too hard to tell right now?

Tony, what's your gut say? Think this will get done, or is it too hard to tell right now?

I still think it will get done because I have a hard time believing that Matusz will ever be worth more than now and he knows it. At this point he'll sign so late it won't matter whether he signs today or on the 15th at 11:59 because he's not going to pitch in the minors this year.

It's unfortunately part of the business nowadays which is why you see so many top guys not signed yet.

I still think it will get done because I have a hard time believing that Matusz will ever be worth more than now and he knows it. At this point he'll sign so late it won't matter whether he signs today or on the 15th at 11:59 because he's not going to pitch in the minors.

It's unfortunately part of the business nowadays which is why you see so many top guys not signed yet.

lol. Nothing's ever easy for the Orioles, is it? :D

I think the deal gets done at the last minute. I dont think he has any interest in going back to college where he may be drafted lower and get a smaller bonus. This is posturing, and I agree with the poster who said it was irresponsible for his agent to make it seem like signability wouldnt be an issue then clearly it becomes one.

They are very disappointed and have felt misled by Matusz' "adviser" Marc Agarr.

Thanks for the reply, Tony. It just does not sit well with me the rumors that Matusz is not looking to break the bank, that Matusz is concerned about the $ received by someone taken five spots later, that the agent at least hinted to the Os his client would be an easy sign, etc, etc.

The Os have left this in Matusz hands for a while. It would be interesting if one of these teams in the top 10 with an unsigned prospect put that player back into the pool and picked again next year. If it were the Os and Matusz, Matusz, in order to be in line to receive the same $, would have to pitch well again next year and either earn being picked again in the top five on merit or work out a pre-draft deal to insure he gets his $ as a top four pick. This is possible but not necessarily likely. IMO, an agent would have to be borderline insane to botch negotiations to the point where the fourth pick in the draft on merit and who was offered slot or better ended up back in the pool. That's why it is shocking to me that these negotiations have reached this point. I applaud the Orioles for exhibiting the patience they have in letting this play out to Matusz's satisfaction and not getting more publicly frustrated.

These negotiations almost always work out with these top picks and I think issuing ultimatums rarely works - especially since the Os have waited this long and no one wants to create bad blood with the pick - who I am sure is a great guy - and because Matusz does not appear to be playing the same "give me more $" brinksmanship game that Crow is playing with the Nationals.

Still, it would be interesting if the Os gave Matusz 24 hours to sign at their latest offer. After 24 hours, if Matusz had not signed, the Os could announce the signings of Brady and a few other HSers and withdraw their offer to Matusz (or decrease the offer by $250k) and have two picks next year.

While Matusz and his agent do not appear to be playing a game of brinksmanship, the closer it gets to the deadline the less of an opportunity the Os have to interpret the lack of signing any other way. If the Os were to start up a game of brinksmanship, I think Matusz and his agent would conclude quickly that playing for the upside given the cards they hold would be a foolish move and they would sign quickly.

There comes a point in time where Matusz has to decide whether the agent works for him, or he works for the agent. Do you want to play pro ball, or not? You're the 4th overall pick of the draft, you'd be getting paid like one. Keep sticking out for more money, and watch the karma roll in while you fall out of the first round next year. Simple as that with me.

There comes a point in time where Matusz has to decide whether the agent works for him, or he works for the agent. Do you want to play pro ball, or not? You're the 4th overall pick of the draft, you'd be getting paid like one. Keep sticking out for more money, and watch the karma roll in while you fall out of the first round next year. Simple as that with me.

He's risking a lot. If he goes to the indy leagues and does not perform well he's toast.

Archived