Extend Mancini??

jrobb21613

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Trumbo career OPS+ 108

Mancini career OPS+ 113

That's pretty close

Hey you picked one stat but that just shows you how different they are.  Mancini is a much better average and contact hitter that also gets on base, Trumbo is a a guy that hits low average but has higher slugging as is a power hitter.  Trumbo’s slugging pulls his OPS up while Trey gets more out of average and Obp.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

A smart team would look to trade Mancini not lock him up long term. If you're going to be a bat / no glove guy in this era you need to be capable of hitting 40 Hrs. 

I can definitely see Mancini getting traded later this year by Elias for the right trade package if he keeps hitting like this. Mancini could be a difference maker this year for a playoff team that needs a bat.  

3 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Hey you picked one stat but that just shows you how different they are.  Mancini is a much better average and contact hitter that also gets on base, Trumbo is a a guy that hits low average but has higher slugging as is a power hitter.  Trumbo’s slugging pulls his OPS up while Trey gets more out of average and Obp.

I picked one stat because it is adjusted for ball parks and era.

11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm guessing Mancini has the edge in wOBA.

Close or not, I would not look to extend Trey.  I don't think it wise to tie down pieces until you think you are ready to enter a period where you contend.  And while I think you can also say you dont wait till it rains to buy an umbrella, we have Trey, and we can afford to wait.  Certainly can afford to wait through the total of this year before considering it.

Since this thread has digressed into a Trumbo/Mancini comparison I'll weigh in. Regardless of what the numbers say, Mancini has upside whereas Trumbo only has downside. And I really like Trey. I think he's doing his best to take on a leadership role now that Jonesy is gone. All that said, I'd flip him for a younger prospect in a heartbeat. Gotta think about the future not the present. 

13 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Depends what you think his numbers will be.  Does he put up consistent numbers the next few years being a .280 hitter 25 homer type or is he the .230 15 homer type guy.  That is what you have to do as a team decide is his value what he was last year or the 2017.  He comes out and hits .290 25 homers the next two years you will be paying over 14 million in his arbitration last two years.  

$14 mm combined, or each year?  I might believe the former, but not the latter.

12 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I can definitely see Mancini getting traded later this year by Elias for the right trade package if he keeps hitting like this. Mancini could be a difference maker this year for a playoff team that needs a bat.  

I'm assuming that this is what Elias is thinking. If Trey Mancini really crushes the ball this year, he'll be a good bet to be the Orioles All Star. A good, hot, power bat who is cheap for a few years has a lot of value to competing teams. He could actually net a good prospect or two. It would hurt to watch our best player(s) go, but this rebuild is going to hurt.

He's similar to Villar to me. Let them produce so they can bring back a piece of our winning future.

17 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Since this thread has digressed into a Trumbo/Mancini comparison I'll weigh in. Regardless of what the numbers say, Mancini has upside whereas Trumbo only has downside. And I really like Trey. I think he's doing his best to take on a leadership role now that Jonesy is gone. All that said, I'd flip him for a younger prospect in a heartbeat. Gotta think about the future not the present. 

Sure. Trey would be thrilled to have Trumbo's career though. I think that is the point. It would be so stratospherically above his original projected ceiling. 

43 minutes ago, weams said:

Sure. Trey would be thrilled to have Trumbo's career though. I think that is the point. It would be so stratospherically above his original projected ceiling. 

Trumbo has had sooooooooooo many peaks and valleys though. I think Trey has the ability to be much more consistent from one season to the next and I think there's something to be said for that. 

3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Trumbo has had sooooooooooo many peaks and valleys though. I think Trey has the ability to be much more consistent from one season to the next and I think there's something to be said for that. 

What makes you think so?   Mancini already had a .111 swing in his OPS between 2017 and 2018.    Trumbo in his first 5 years had only a 101 point gap between his high and low.   

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The comparison was to young Trumbo at a similar stage in his career. No question Mancini is better and more valuable going forward than 33 year old Trumbo.

Archived