Extend Mancini??

jrobb21613

I was going to say that if Randal Grichuk can be extended, why not Mancini?    But on looking at Grichuk’s stats, he’s the better player by a good margin.    So how come I literally never heard of him until this series?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I was going to say that if Randal Grichuk can be extended, why not Mancini?    But on looking at Grichuk’s stats, he’s the better player by a good margin.    So how come I literally never heard of him until this series?

He’s not that good. Career OBP of .297

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Came up with the Cardinals. Last season was his first with the Blue Jays. Put up an OPS of .803. Good defender. Plays mostly in the corners, but also handles CF. His defense actually improves his WAR.

Only two years from free agency before the extension.

1 hour ago, jrobb21613 said:

With all the extensions recently got me thinking that maybe now would be  good time to Extend Mancini. What should we offer, what’s he worth, is now the right time for an extension?

I don't see the need.   He's got what, 4 years until free agency?   Players of his type don't get that much money.   A similar comp might be Justin Bour, and he signed with the Angels for 1/$2.5mm as a 30 year old free agent, which is what Trey would be when he reaches free agency.

And Bour's peak year is better than Mancini's.

I think lots people are missing what extending means.  It might not be a bunch of extra years but a set salary that you know it will be.  Bote didn’t get a hug contract or lots extra years he just some security and the Cubs get a set salary  with chance for extra years at a set amount.  If you think Mancini will perform enough to make a decent amount of money through arbitration then you come up with a way to lock him up for a set amount.   Would a 4 year extension buying out one year worth the risk.  4 years 20 million gives him some security  buys out one year free agency and may also save us money long term.  2020 2 million 2021 4 million 2022 6 million 2023 8 million. 

5 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I think lots people are missing what extending means.  It might not be a bunch of extra years but a set salary that you know it will be.  Bote didn’t get a hug contract or lots extra years he just some security and the Cubs get a set salary  with chance for extra years at a set amount.  If you think Mancini will perform enough to make a decent amount of money through arbitration then you come up with a way to lock him up for a set amount.   Would a 4 year extension buying out one year worth the risk.  4 years 20 million gives him some security  buys out one year free agency and may also save us money long term.  2020 2 million 2021 4 million 2022 6 million 2023 8 million. 

One of the benefits of arbitration is the option to non-tender, you’d have to get great value in order to give up the ability to non-tender him if injury or poor performance dictates.

6 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Or you non-tender him and hope to sign him for less than his arbitration price.

Do you think Mancini gets 8M on the open market?

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or you non-tender him and hope to sign him for less than his arbitration price.

Do you think Mancini gets 8M on the open market?

Depends what you think his numbers will be.  Does he put up consistent numbers the next few years being a .280 hitter 25 homer type or is he the .230 15 homer type guy.  That is what you have to do as a team decide is his value what he was last year or the 2017.  He comes out and hits .290 25 homers the next two years you will be paying over 14 million in his arbitration last two years.  

There is a system that was agreed upon by the owners and the players -- arbitration and then free agency. A team doesn't always have to try to beat or outperform the system. Sometimes, you just roll with the system. 

That's a long way of saying. No, I would absolutely not extend Mancini. He's a bat with no defensive value. Love Trey, but no, no, no. 

Archived