Extend Mancini??

jrobb21613

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or you non-tender him and hope to sign him for less than his arbitration price.

Do you think Mancini gets 8M on the open market?

I would think that every team that thinks paying players according to WAR valuation is a good idea would be interested.  Heck Trey's put up 4.0 oWAR in the last two seasons.  Whatta deal!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

+1. He's basically young Trumbo. Not the worst player in the world but not somebody you want to build around, or commit a lot of money to.

Who said anything about lot of money we are talking buying out his arbitration years and maybe a year or two in free agency.  The very max I would do is 5 years 32 million.  That buys out the three arbitration deals and adds two years of free agency.    That is almost less the Davis makes in 1 Year.  

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

+1. He's basically young Trumbo. Not the worst player in the world but not somebody you want to build around, or commit a lot of money to.

There is barely anything similar with Trumbo and Mancini except both baseball players that play for Orioles and are 1st baseman DH.  Trumbo has not one year hitting over.265 Trey has 1 already where he hit .293 .  Trumbo  has never had a year Obp over.316.  Mancini’s career average is .320 

3 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

There is barely anything similar with Trumbo and Mancini except both baseball players that play for Orioles and are 1st baseman DH.  Trumbo has not one year hitting over.265 Trey has 1 already where he hit .293 .  Trumbo  has never had a year Obp over.316.  Mancini’s career average is .320 

Trumbo career OPS+ 108

Mancini career OPS+ 113

That's pretty close

3 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

With all the extensions recently got me thinking that maybe now would be  good time to Extend Mancini. What should we offer, what’s he worth, is now the right time for an extension?

Well not now

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Bote, with the Cubs.

Signed a 5/15 deal if I remember correctly.

If he’d sign that it wouldn’t hurt. 

10 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

This. I think Mancini is capable of being a consistent .280+ hitter. Trumbo has always had a mediocre average at best. Mancini also looks faster running the bases. 

10 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

By advanced metrics the offensive value is similar. It’s just shaped differently. Trumbo more power, Mancini a better hit tool. They both don’t walk enough. 

Their defensive value is also similar in that they aren’t outfielders, and their offensive ceiling is low to be great at first. Neither walk enough to put up great OBPs and Mancini has only average power. 

The end result is likely a 1-2 win player. They’re quite similar in value, even if the traditional offensive numbers look different.

About Trey.   He had a case of the Sophomore Jinx last year.  Very predictable.   As I expected, I was counting on him to bounce back this year, and so far, there is reason to believe he is doing that.  So far so good, anyway.  As far as the rap that he is a bat only person, that IMO is not correct.  His defense in college at Notre Dame would not make fair minded people jump to the conclusion that he is a ragged fielder.  Put him at 1st base for a year and see what his numbers are.  As a good soldier, he played way out of position in the OF.  Gave it 100% and that is all anyone can give.  However, it is very possible that he is traded to a team that really needs someone of his caliber, both on and off the field.  For his sake I hope that is exactly what happens.  He is too much a pro to be lost in the shuffle in this organization for ever.   

13 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Trumbo career OPS+ 108

Mancini career OPS+ 113

That's pretty close

Career SLG: .461 vs .464. Does it matter which is which?

I will grant that Mancini's BA and OBP are a bit higher, and he strikes out less.

More importantly, they both look like the are running through quicksand when trying to play the OF.

Both have plus power and that's about it. They are RH and aren't good enough hitters to be more than average 1B/DH.There are some differences but the overall profile and value is about the same IMO.

Archived