Nice while it lasted, but the sugar high is over

mdbdotcom

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

No, just scalping basically.

You buy up a bunch of tickets for a game that you expect will have a huge demand, and then list them on Stub Hub for profit.  I suspect this is what happened, only there wasn't much interest at all on StubHub apparently.

It's like what happens every year when a new video game console comes out with limited supply and huge demand.

Ahhhh, gotcha.  Didn't think of it from that perspective.

You might be correct in this case, though I am not sure why a savvy scalper would try to scalp tickets for the Orioles.  OD or not.  But it's hard to argue with your logic.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Aglets said:

No, just scalping basically.

You buy up a bunch of tickets for a game that you expect will have a huge demand, and then list them on Stub Hub for profit.  I suspect this is what happened, only there wasn't much interest at all on StubHub apparently.

It's like what happens every year when a new video game console comes out with limited supply and huge demand.

Doesn’t seem likely to me that scalpers wouldn’t have seen that coming.  

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Doesn’t seem likely to me that scalpers wouldn’t have seen that coming.  

Interesting.  It seems highly likely to me.  People know that Opening Day is always an event in Baltimore and demand (until this year apparently) has always been high.

Seems like a perfect storm where a bunch of speculators kinda crashed out.   These things happen.

As I said, i'm open to alternate theories if anyone has them.  I would estimate I saw 5-10K empty seats throughout the stadium all game long.   Not seeing any other way to combine all the facts.

We have won all of our night games and lost all of our day games.  In the first week, we have been victimized by an over abundance of day games.  Now that we're done with "Opening Days" and an early get away day, we will win 75% of our games and take the AL East.  So let it be written...

15 hours ago, atomic said:

If they trade Villar, Cobb, Cashner, and Mancini then no one will go to see the games. 

If they trade these guys, I'll go to see Keegan Akin (24), Dean Kremer (23), and Ryan Mountcastle (22).  By then, Austin Hays (23) should be in the outfield, too.  I'd rather pay to watch them anyway.

13 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

We have won all of our night games and lost all of our day games.  In the first week, we have been victimized by an over abundance of day games.  Now that we're done with "Opening Days" and an early get away day, we will win 75% of our games and take the AL East.  So let it be written...

Both of our Yankee wins were day games.   

29 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

If they trade these guys, I'll go to see Keegan Akin (24), Dean Kremer (23), and Ryan Mountcastle (22).  By then, Austin Hays (23) should be in the outfield, too.  I'd rather pay to watch them anyway.

None of those guys can play second base. Room for Mountcastle, Akin and Kremer and the guys listed as being tradable.  I would rather watch Cobb pitch and Villar play over whomever would take their place.  Right now we only have 4 starters on the team. 

2 hours ago, atomic said:

None of those guys can play second base. Room for Mountcastle, Akin and Kremer and the guys listed as being tradable.  I would rather watch Cobb pitch and Villar play over whomever would take their place.  Right now we only have 4 starters on the team. 

Gee, who was going to play second base after we traded Schoop?

We’ll bring somebody else in to play there. Or it will be Wilkerson.  Or Peterson.  Or Reinheimer.  Or Alberto.  Or Vincej.  

49 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Gee, who was going to play second base after we traded Schoop?

We’ll bring somebody else in to play there. Or it will be Wilkerson.  Or Peterson.  Or Reinheimer.  Or Alberto.  Or Vincej.  

We traded for Villar.  That is who replaced Schoop.  I see no reason to be a bad AA team.  

On 4/5/2019 at 6:09 PM, atomic said:

We traded for Villar.  That is who replaced Schoop.  I see no reason to be a bad AA team.  

What difference does it make if this team loses 108 games or 96 games?

It’s really not important in the grand scheme of things.

Archived