Nice while it lasted, but the sugar high is over

mdbdotcom

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m not going to overreact to the hot start or today’s meltdown, but I would be very pleased and surprised if this team loses less than 100 games.

In addition, the degree of difficulty is likely to increase after the trade deadline. I expect players like Villar, Cobb, Cashner and Mancini to all be traded if Elias gets offers he likes.

And I know winning doesn’t matter this year, but please DFA Mike Wright tomorrow. He is never going to be even average as a pitcher and doesn’t have an albatross of a contract like Davis. 

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

My thoughts are that this is still a 100 loss team without the either of them, but still like to see them gone from the organization ASAP. 

Aren't they kind of doing what Elias wants? Terrible a concept as that is. 

I actually think the team is doing well. We have won games because Brandon has made good decisions with the materials at hand, and we have lost games because he made poor decisions with the materials at hand. If he had made different decisions, we might’ve lost those games anyway, Because the materials at hand aren’t great. But at the moment, I think we can be fine. We’ve got to sit Davis, and we’ve got to get rid of Mike Wright. We need to sit Mullins, or send him down. When we do that things will be better.

19 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't recall folks jumping into the why not thread talking about folks overreacting.

So this must be more worrisome.

o

There were multiple posters who did, starting with Tony S. in Page 1, who pointed out that after the Orioles took 3 out of 4 games from the Yankees last April, they beat the Orioles 11 out of 15 times the rest of the season.

Others with similar sentiments (sometimes saying it seriously, sometimes saying it in a facetious manner) were Rene88, ShadySideJoe (a newbie poster), Enjoy Terror, NCRaven, joelala (who simply posted/cited the Orioles' current roster when the OP asked him to convince him that this team was not capable of competing for a Wildcard spot), Moose Milligan, and Frobby (who pointed out that the 2017 team started out at 22-10 and rhetorically compared it to the 4-1 start of this 2019 team.) Nobody used the exact term "overreacting," but they all pointed out that it was an extreme reach that others were already comparing this team and this situation with the 1989 team after just 5 games.

I have no idea if this team will wind up being a really bad team, a slightly below average team, an average team, or an amazingly overachieving team (ala the 1989 squad), but there are plenty here on the OH who point out the overreactions to both the overly optimistic and the overly pessimistic.

o

Archived