Nice while it lasted, but the sugar high is over

mdbdotcom

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Paid attendance was about 1,000 short of last year.    

I understand that it was reported as over 44K in paid attendance.   And I was actually present and saw tons of empty seats.  

So what does that tell us?

To me it tells us that a ton of people bought Opening Day tickets with no intention to actually go.  They just got them as an investment opportunity, so to speak.   This is definitely discouraging from a fan perspective.   Also, I'm a little unsure how they can report it as a 'sellout' when they are 1,000 or so short of their max capacity, and I could still see tickets for sale from the O's front office at first pitch.     shrug

If anyone thinks my analysis is off I'd love to hear an alternative take.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I understand that it was reported as over 44K in paid attendance.   And I was actually present and saw tons of empty seats.  

To me it tells us that a ton of people bought Opening Day tickets with no intention to actually go.  They just got them as an investment opportunity, so to speak.   This is definitely discouraging from a fan perspective.   Also, I'm a little unsure how they can report it as a 'sellout' when they are 1,000 or so short of their max capacity, and I could still see tickets for sale from the O's front office at first pitch.     shrug

I didn’t watch, so I can’t comment. It was mentioned that security lines were long getting into the stadium, so it wasn’t full when the game started.    I don’t know about later.   I think we’ll have a good feel for how bad attendance will be by the end of this homestand.   

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

I said it before and its worth repeating.

Nobody is under any illusions this is a WS bound team.

Stop over analyzing every move/non move.

Take time to enjoy the game itself, celebrate the victories and dont despair too much over the loses.

IMO, there are two goals here.

Do better than last season.

Work on building the foundation to the 2021 team.

I agree with you.

I agree too however I find it hard to think we'll do better than last year without Manny and Jones' bat in the lineup.  Hopefully someone (one or two of our top prospects) on the farm can come up and perform.

9 minutes ago, nate22 said:

I agree too however I find it hard to think we'll do better than last year without Manny and Jones' bat in the lineup.  Hopefully someone (one or two of our top prospects) on the farm can come up and perform.

There's no doubt in my mind that this team will have a better record than last year.

8 minutes ago, nate22 said:

I have two answers to this:

1.    Last year’s offense performed poorly, so even without some of the big bats we could outscore last year’s team.    It’s not a given, but could happen.   

2.    Offense is only half the equation.   If we allow fewer runs we can win more often even if the offense doesn’t improve.    

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I have two answers to this:

1.    Last year’s offense performed poorly, so even without some of the big bats we could outscore last year’s team.    It’s not a given, but could happen.   

2.    Offense is only half the equation.   If we allow fewer runs we can win more often even if the offense doesn’t improve.    

Fair enough. I guess i find it hard to gauge how our offense will perform with so many guys without much of a track record.

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'd just like more insight as to the "investment opportunity" idea.  What are people gonna do, sell unused game tickets to April 4th 2019 on ebay in 25 years for big profits? :D

10 minutes ago, nate22 said:

Fair enough. I guess i find it hard to gauge how our offense will perform with so many guys without much of a track record.

It probably won’t be very good.    I find it semi-miraculous that we are currently 6th in the AL in scoring (4.14 runs/game) when only 3-4 guys (Villar, Smith, Mancini and Rickard) have done much of anything and we have several guys doing absolutely nothing.   I certainly expect the offense to be near the bottom of the league.    

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It probably won’t be very good.    I find it semi-miraculous that we are currently 6th in the AL in scoring (4.14 runs/game) when only 3-4 guys (Villar, Smith, Mancini and Rickard) have done much of anything and we have several guys doing absolutely nothing.   I certainly expect the offense to be near the bottom of the league.    

Such a short sample size, too early to read too much in the metrics.

Most teams dont come out of the gate firing on all cylinders.

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Such a short sample size, too early to read too much in the metrics.

Most teams dont come out of the gate firing on all cylinders.

Oh, on an individual level I agree.    As a team, I’m not expecting a lot of offense because the track record isn’t really there.    

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'd just like more insight as to the "investment opportunity" idea.  What are people gonna do, sell unused game tickets to April 4th 2019 on ebay in 25 years for big profits? :D

No, just scalping basically.

You buy up a bunch of tickets for a game that you expect will have a huge demand, and then list them on Stub Hub for profit.  I suspect this is what happened, only there wasn't much interest at all on StubHub apparently.

It's like what happens every year when a new video game console comes out with limited supply and huge demand.

Just now, Aglets said:

No, just scalping basically.

You buy up a bunch of tickets for a game that you expect will have a huge demand, and then list them on Stub Hub for profit.  I suspect this is what happened, only there wasn't much interest at all on StubHub apparently.

It's like what happens every year when a new video game console comes out with limited supply and huge demand.

Keep in mind.

The Orioles also release unsold tickets to STUBHUB at a reduced price, in order to move them.

Archived